Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post

I have been thinking of this too... These wheels/tires will be dedicated for the track only, so I wasn't too worried about street-ability, just having fun and hopefully improving lap times a bit. And I've read a lot of reviews of the NT-01s checking all the boxes I'm looking for: solid grip for an entry-level R comp; good feedback at the limit/forgiving break-away characteristics; decent durability and grip improves all the way to cord. That said, they're several years old now, so if a set of RE-71R street tires are 95% as good, then that approach may make more sense... especially considering that they're available in more sizes...

This had been on my mind a lot lately too. While it's fair to note that every 275/35-18 I've looked at has listed a 9.5" wheel as its ideal/measuring wheel, I would much prefer a 265mm tire on a 9.5" wheel (or step up to a 10" wheel for a 275mm tire - which I just won't be able to squeeze in without major fender pulling). But our options for an 18" NT-01 are 245mm or 275mm...that's it. So if I want a 265/35-18, I'll have to widen the search. Any other suggestions that would be similar to NT-01s?
NT01 is old tire tech, but if you can get them at a good price and the size you want then it's a good tire. If I was going to go with a R comp tire again I would be looking at the R888. They just released a new R888-R in the US. I can tell you from personal experience that it's a very loud tire, but if it's a dedicated track setup it's a not an issue. Sooner or later I will probably get a dedicated wheel/R comp tire setup to swap out for track days. R888r will be at the top of my consideration. They are comparable in price to the RE71R I went with....for my size anyways.

Not sure your experience with R comps, but if they are your first experience with them be prepared to be amazed Just make sure you have a dedicated track pad and fluid to go with them. They will kill any other setup in a heartbeat if you're pushing the tire anywhere near its limit.

I think the ideal measuring width that manufactures list is a good starting point, but probably aren't based on laptimes or performance. They just use industry standards based on tire wear, road noise, DOT, etc.

For track use I prefer to run a wider wheel than the listed "ideal" width. Usually 0.5" wider to a max of 1" depending on tire and car. Every car and setup is different though.

Again, all my opinions.
Appreciate 1
DVC559.00