11-25-2016, 12:54 PM   #5
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatesfloyd View Post
I'm sorry but I'm really confused... is $130 not a fair price? I also though the cable heatsink was cool, but like you, I'm afraid you f the safety and quality of the product.
The price is actually not bad. I'm pretty sure this is a fairly new product on Bimmian, so there won't be many who've tried the bulbs. (There are two reviews on Bimmian's site, but both are for Exx cars).

What you need to ask yourself is if you're willing to spend $250 to $300 on an experiment. Important to note:
- There are no brightness ratings stated for the bulbs. Ideally, you need a measure in lumens. Watts (which are also not given) is not a measure of brightness; it is a measure of current output, and watts are generally not comparable between incandescent bulbs and LED arrays. BAD, all around.
- The LED chips are made by Philips. GOOD (but not great).
- The LED chip array -- and most other chip arrays -- is monodirectional. Note the hash marks on the housing plate facing the chip array; that's so the user can rotate the array to work best with whatever reflector is being used because the chip array emits light best in one direction instead of all directions. BAD.
- Weisslicht doesn't list this particular product on its own website. In fact, it defers to and relies on its retailers (Bimmian is one of four) to do that for it. No offense to the companies, but this is REALLY, REALLY BAD.
- The 2 Series' headlights are already rated as subpar by the NHTSA. Do you really want to potentially make them worse? BAD.

It's up to you. I'm automatically skeptical of ANY aftermarket auto lighting product because it's arguably the most shady accessories niche in the automotive world. There is literally no oversight, product claims are frequently false and illegal, and many products are imported via the gray market. Invest at your own risk.
Appreciate 0