View Single Post
      07-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #24
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
The overall problem of lag seems like turbo lag.

steady application of throttle minimizes lag, 0 throttle & then mashing the throttle maximizes lag.. since the turbo was in a vacuum and then immediately expected to produce boost with no exhaust gasses.

I don't have the time now, but there are resetting procedures for the transmission. The transmission learns your driving/throttle habits and adjusts itself based off of that for maximum comfort.

I've driven several hundreds of BMWs and some are sensitive and others are dull and laggy. The adaptations depend on how you drive it. And then its like you just hit hyperspeed
While it does sound like lag, I don't believe it is, as the problem is not there when the car is in sport mode.

Picture this. I coast to an intersection where I cant see cars coming in from either direction, so I let it coast a little further till I stop completely. I want to turn left, and I decide to go and right then I see a car coming in fast. I nail the pedal to the floor in an attempt to move out of the way. My car does absolutely nothing, as if I didn't even press the accelerator. I had held the pedal down for a second, still nothing. Because of all the factors (angle of car, angle of steering, etc), the car decided it was best to not do anything than to risk spinning tires.

That was the worst one Ive had. I usually have the same issue at short stops. Stop, quickly look, accelerate. Car takes 1 sec before it even processes the input. Disabling DTC has mostly fixed this problem. Has made the car much more fun to drive too.

I used to have an STI. This car sure had turbo lag. But even with turbo lag, a car should start moving or reacting to input, till the turbo kicks in.
Appreciate 0