View Single Post
      06-21-2016, 08:21 PM   #35
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
As others pointed out, no... it's safe. The problem I have with scca is people go into advanced groups that have no business being there. Guys with no experience at certain tracks go into advanced because they have done 3 track days before, than after one session smash, or are completely off the line which slows everyone down and can be dangerous.

See this mustang from SCCA tracknights at LimeRock:

Im in the white 235 in front. He misses the line, comes in way to hot to almost every turn.

You should always go to a new track with an instructor until you get cleared to solo. You pay enough, take the education. And always ask to ride in his car during his session to see how a real driver handles the track.

SCCA, you tech your own car, meaning if you never tracked before you don't know the rules. Nothing in the car, no floor matts, nothing that can fly off, at you, at other cars or get stuck under a pedal.

Check your brakes, last scca guy shows up with no brakes left... Like wtf were you thinking... "Oh i'm in the advanced group and had 3 track days so far..." dude your an idiot, your car is unsafe, you never been to this track before, and you are risking you and others.

This lil rant is why i don't like scca, but if your skilled, it is a cheap way to get on track. If your a beginner, id say go to another event like BMW,Audi, or Porsche. They have expert instructors which keep you safe and teach you how to drive your car. After like 5-6 sessions you should be cleared to solo and move into advanced groups.

Most large groups advanced groups are really not that advanced. They are always bumping people up to make space for students ext. I gave up on track days that offer instruction and mostly stick to open track day style, yes they are much more expensive, but much more fun. David Murry throws excellent events with this format.

It's interesting switching from wheel to wheel racing to track days, I swear some drivers at track days are way more aggressive than wheel to wheel, as if getting passed at a track day means anything.

Take it easy, bring your car home and have fun, de days are meant for learning and fun. Your driving a street car, maybe with some mods, but not a race car with a cage and halo seat. That's what I always remind myself if I get too aggressive or focused on lap time.
Appreciate 0