Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
Get familiar with your car, OP. I always recommend doing some auto-x first to get a handle on how your car reacts since auto-x courses are typically low(er) speeds and thus unwanted maneuvers are more easily correctable.

Here's me getting WOT a little early with a little too much steering angle and I managed to get it back in line fairly easily. The M235i has an incredible (and forgiving) chassis.

It all depends on your level of confidence for SCCA tracknights and if what you're looking to learn (how to run the track or how to run your car). Everyone is available to do ride-alongs to teach you, and most people who are new still stay in Novice or Intermediate groups to mostly learn their car, and the Advanced guys have already done enough track days where they can (hopefully) handle themselves. There's always tow vehicles, emergency personnel, flag stations, etc. Definitely not a free for all, and you're always taught how/where to pass and how to do point-by's.

If you're new and new to pushing your (fast) car, I wouldn't recommend SCCA tracknights and would say to go for an event with an instructor. If you've done some track events before and are familiar with your car, or if your car isn't overly fast with lower handling limits, I'd say a SCCA tracknight would be fine.

No, they're just very lenient. Don't track a car that isn't ready and don't over-exert yourself and be a hot-head and you'll be fine. I've been to a couple and have had 0 issues and have seen 0 issues; though I've been to Pocono where the track is VERY wide, and there aren't any hills or pitch changes except on the banking of the outer triangle.
That oversteer looks so manageable it looks like you could have counter-steered your way out of it in your sleep. Very nice.