View Single Post
      05-18-2016, 02:21 PM   #225
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by csg View Post
From experience owning (and tracking) both S52 and S54 cars, it made a lot less difference than you think. The torque curve on the S52 was highly preferable to the S54, coupled with a better final drive. With the right mods, I was handily lapping S54 M coupes and M3s at HPDEs in my lowly S52 coupe. I didn't have to spend $90 on an oil change, either. Oh, and my rod bearings never broke and sent my engine into a self destruct sequence.
Hehe I didn't mean to start the damn s52 vs s54 debate, but I will say, the S54 roadies and coupes were kinda gimped by the diff and 5 speed. If you felt like blowing a bit of extra $$ on the S54 roadie and going with the e46 6 speed + a 3.64 diff, it is supposed to make the car a whole different monster.

Overall performance is not that different, and I was always a big fan of the S52 (having owned an e36 M3 back in the day), but there is also something I love about the S54 motors, their mechanical sound etc. The next car I get will be an M coupe, s52 or 54, I would almost prefer a salvaged s54 coupe so I don't have to worry about beating on a car that valuable lol.