View Single Post
      02-17-2016, 02:21 PM   #64
simoneves
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 228i DSB/THP/6MT

So obviously I don't have an amp (yet) so I'm not really qualified to comment, but I downloaded the Windows tool and the two new tunes and had a look at the settings, and I'm surprised at how "lumpy" the graphs are, and also at the significant difference between the front-left and front-right EQ settings.

I'm guessing they are optimized for the (left-hand-drive) driver's ears, so I would expect some asymmetry, but can you please speak to the drastic peaks and troughs, at least as displayed in the tool?

Is that really how a tune done with an RTA comes out, or would you normally expect a smoother curve when done with higher-quality speakers?

Intuitively, I would be concerned that if the speakers required such an up-and-down EQ curve, it would imply that they are of such low quality and linearity that this tune might not work as well on other instances of the same speakers in somebody else's car, or at least that there were fairly severe reflection and comb-filtering effects in play which affected the result. I'm sure that last part is true for ANY car installation, but...

Please understand that I'm not trying to criticize or second-guess. I'm just surprised and intrigued.
Appreciate 0