View Single Post
      12-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #79
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
I see the point of BMW making a smaller crossover or hatch below the 1 series. But couldnt BMW just introduce a new name or even subbrand for that matter? There is the Z series and the i series. And if that is too much, why dont the cars just have one name, not number, and then just add AT/GT or sedan orwhatever onto that, I think previous rumours mentioned the name Xcite, so why not just call that small lineup the 'Xcite' lineup and not mess with the numbering system?
Sure, all of those are possible solutions, and some may have been discussed within BMW. Another brand would definitely be too costly though, and just add more consumer confusion with MINI already there. In the end, I suppose they chose what they felt would be the most marketable, best received, and best understood approach.

Quote:
At least we can hope that the 2 series line up will be free of FWD vehicles and only consist of a hatch, coupe, convertible and gran coupe.
That's not happening though. We already have the 2AT/2GT. And I strongly suspect that all the vehicles known as the 1 Series today, plus the new sedan and the new Gran Turismo model SCOTT just mentioned, will also move to FWD as they transition to UKL. In fact, it may very well be that all UKL vehicles are FWD/AWD. It is not clear yet whether the proposed coupe/convertible/GC would use the UKL platform specially set up for RWD, the CLAR architecture, or something else entirely new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexenkind View Post
The 2 series Coupé will stay RWD. That was confirmed by Harald Krüger a view weeks ago.
Yes, it was also mentioned by SCOTT in this very thread. You may wish to read the rest of the replies to become current with the discussion. For example, SCOTT also mentioned that even the new 2 Series Gran Coupe model, which the article specifically mentioned as moving to a front-drive drivetrain, will actually be RWD as well.
Appreciate 0