12-23-2015, 08:27 AM   #77
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post

I agree that it's unfortunate that it will go down this way, but something had to give because they simply ran out of numbers. A few years back, when news of a potential sub-1 Series first broke, it was joked that they would call them the "0 Series" or ".5 Series". Or even the "-1 Series" to preserve the odd numbered naming convention for non-coupes. The prevailing belief (due in part to suggestions made by SCOTT at that time, IIRC) was that the new subcompact models would join the existing compact hatchbacks, upcoming new sedan, MPVs and other form factors as further expansion to the 1 Series lineup. It never seemed likely that they would instead take over that name entirely. But when you think about all those models, it does start to make sense to not crowd so much under the 1 Series name while the 2 Series has just three vehicles.

Oh well. At least we now know why the 2GT/2AT were changed from 1AT/1GT.
I see the point of BMW making a smaller crossover or hatch below the 1 series. But couldnt BMW just introduce a new name or even subbrand for that matter? There is the Z series and the i series. And if that is too much, why dont the cars just have one name, not number, and then just add AT/GT or sedan orwhatever onto that, I think previous rumours mentioned the name Xcite, so why not just call that small lineup the 'Xcite' lineup and not mess with the numbering system? At least we can hope that the 2 series line up will be free of FWD vehicles and only consist of a hatch, coupe, convertible and gran coupe.
Appreciate 0