View Single Post
      09-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #1
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Ground Control New Plate Design Failure

Well my ground control plates made it a whopping 20 miles before failure, these are the new design. I will be pulling them off the car, doing a detailed photo explanation of the design (or lack of). So far ground control would like to blame the dinan springs. or me.

So basically if you want to buy and run these, they say they are only for stock suspension. Which really makes no sense since they sell them with multiple perch sizes, and who adds camber plates to a stock car?

The design is pretty poor, which will be easier to see in photos, swapping them off the car for a new set of kamc plates that are being overnighted from turner since my old ones got over torqued by an alignment shop. So I will keep you guys updated as it progresses.

Below are some photos of the bearing and case they are using to support the spring perch.

The plate has some serious design defects. I could spend some pages describing the faults, but in simple terms it is as follows:

The plate is designed in such a way that the spring force and load is transmitted via the bearing to the car, the bearing case is thin plastic and will not tolerate that load or transfer. ground control stated over and over it is the same bearing as the BMW carrier, However BMW designed there perch and case to transmit the load to the plate, all that bearing in the bmw design has to do is account for the unsprung weight of the suspension.

Furthermore your spring perch gets located by a part of the plate that only extends half way down the bearing and end on the seam of the bearing case (where it failed in the photos). This creates and uneven load on the bearing at the worst possible spot. I honestly have a hard time believing an engineer designed these.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1