08-04-2015, 07:56 PM   #20
thakid22
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Bmw M340i M-Sport w/ VDC

Exclamation

F30 Base steering..
My first complaint is that it is too light, even in sport mode. I do like its accuracy, however.
The E90 has a bit of vagueness/play on center that is very unbefitting a car with sporty aspirations.
The F30 is laser accurate and responsive the instant you start to move the steering wheel off center.
E90 effort build up and weighting is far superior in my opinion. Spin the wheel left or right, even at an standstill, and
effort builds up as if the rack is attached to a tightly coiled spring. Very nice. I instantly know where the wheels are pointed
by feeling the resistance through the wheel.
The F30 allows the steering wheel to turn without varied resistance. Turn the steering wheel anywhere within its range and if the car isn't
moving you'll have to almost guess how far the tires have actually turned. Win = E90

F30 base ride is, frankly, a mess.
I always equated BMW suspensions with fine body control. The E90 suffered weak body control. But the F30 is even worse.
The F30 can float up and down and lean side to side in a very in BMW like fashion. Your average Altima, Accord, or even Avalon are
more composed around town. F30 suspension tuning does NOT feel expensive in any way. That being said, it does very well at minimizing brake dive/squat. Additionally, when hustled along a SMOOTH road with twists and turns, the ride seems to hunker down quite nicely.
All doesn't remain well for long though. Throw in some bumps, potholes, dips and elevationsand the ride/handling deteriorates to less than your average family sedan. The suspension audibly thumps, thrums, and bumps. The front end and rear suspensions bounce up and down at different rates (porpoise?). And you can feel a bit of lateral instability. Ugh.

E90 ride and handling left a bit to be desired too. SMOOTH roads were fine, with a stiff sporty feel, while also being supple. Potholes and bumps were far too harsh on sport suspension settings. Worst of all is the E90 tendency to let the rear end bounce over dips, bumps, and elevations. Head to the twisties, though, and all is forgiven. E90 steering is athletic and talkative in the corners and grip is PHENOMENAL. The E90s cornering prowess makes you almost forget it's other ride/handling shortcomings. While the F30 has excellent grip, the dynamics aren't even close to par with the E90s. I have yet to sample an F30 with sport package, VSS, or Adaptive Shocks. So maybe there is a better ride/handling balance in other iterations of the F30.

Still, I find my self often questioning "who in the hell is approving these final BMW suspension calibrations?" Ride is good on good roads. But the harsh, flinty, crashy, jarring ride on bad roads is absurd. And cheapens the feel of otherwise expensive feeling vehicles. E60, E90, F30... Have runflats destroyed the legendary BMW ride and handling balance? Don't let the car magazines fool ya, there IS a price to be paid for BMWs stellar handling.

Last edited by thakid22; 08-04-2015 at 08:17 PM..
Appreciate 0