05-25-2007, 07:35 AM   #18
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR View Post
Think the 320i engine was the same (slightly uprated) as the one in my previous facelifted E46 318i

Interesting... because I used to drive 12 miles through North London too. What is shocking is that my mpg was in the 30s - 35mpg if I had a good day, traffic wise. (Similar sort of figures as what paddyrx8 is describing) I used the A406 from east to west, which is mainly dual carriageway with intermittent stops. To be honest, given the extra weight of the E90 and slightly higher output figures, and obviously depending on the road circumstances... 17-18mpg is probably about right.

Doubt modern A/C makes a difference, but only slightly if any. Think you'll find the auto gearbox is what does the damage here. Having full choice of gears can prove to be a brilliant for mpg, especially when referring to the OBC
Yep it is the same engine as the later e46 318i's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N46

My 318i touring was quite dissapointing for mpg. My earlier 323i coupe (2.5 litre) averaged 35mpg for mixed driving. My 318i was more like 30mpg.

Personally I think it slightly struggled at higher speeds. An auto box plus the larger e90 isn't going to help.

I think it's a real shame that the 320i didn't get the old 2.2 litre straight six.

New 170bhp version in the coupe sounds better though.
Appreciate 0