THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Are Oyster Leather Seats Hard to Keep Clean?

05-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #1
disco4me
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M235i if it ever gets here!

Are Oyster Leather Seats Hard to Keep Clean?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I'm thinking of the Black Carpet / Oyster Seat interior combo. I'm a jean wearer. If you had or have oyster leather seats, were they hard to keep clean? Would you do it again?
      05-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #2
Lynn_228i
AW BMW 228i with Black Dakota Leather Seats

Drives: BMW 228i

disco4me.

I have the oyster set/black carpet combination and I love the look and how the seats never get so hot. But they are difficult to keep clean. All my seats stay clean but the driver's seat since I also love dark blue jeans and black jeans. I am still thinking of getting this combination again but finding some kind of product to coat the seats to protect them before I start to drive in the car with dark jeans. I know when I was testing cars in the hot parking lot on Memorial day, I did notice the darker the seat, the hotter it was but also the darker the car's exterior the hotter the interior was.

BMW has a good air conditioning system so I am sure once the car is started, everything cools down. I like having my interior lighter looking. I am still not sure what I am going to do since if a dealer can locate a car I would like, I may take a car with a dark seat but if I order a car, I still think I may like a light seat. I need to take another test drive in a car that has been sitting in the hot sun with a black seat and see how quickly the car cools down.
Lynn_228i is offline   United_States
      06-01-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Desert Guy

Drives: '14 228i (on order)

disco4me, DON'T do it. The oyster/black combo is beautiful, but a nightmare to keep up. Our 2011 528i (37,000 miles) looks trashed, despite professional detailing. And it's not just the seats, the armrests are starting to look bad.

For my 228i, I went with the Terra leather, which also includes black carpet and seat panels. Looks great, and I suspect will be easy to keep up.
      06-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #4
CONTROL ONE
Private

Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Never in a million years would I ever get white leather interior.
      06-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #5
jmjordan
Enlisted Member

Drives: '14 M235i "Alison"

I currently own a 328 with Oyster seats and for that reason I will not be getting that interior on my M235. The seats constantly stay dirty and are a pain to clean. The armrests are even harder to clean.
jmjordan is offline   United_States
      06-01-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
///M235i
Second Lieutenant

Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONTROL ONE View Post
Never in a million years would I ever get white leather interior.
The OP is looking for comments from people who actually have the light interior; he's looking for people with the actual direct experience, not an opinion based on perception.

That said if you look at Luckys post based on her direct experience she's very optimistic but cautiously optimistic and I think that's the right balance

it sounds like she herself based on her experience would like to continue with the light interior just with an ounce of caution.

I've already shared with OP I've had the Venetian beige for almost 4 years now and everyone absolutely says it still looks so showroom new inside and out.

Both my dealer and Carmax are giving me top dollar for my trade and absolutely did not ding me on the driver side front seatů
      06-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #7
ede92
Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Cab 7MT

My 2011 328 Cab had it. I had the dealer clean the heck out of it for free after 1 year after seeing some dye transfer. I also asked if this was an issue at lease end. They assured me it wasn't and turned out it was not.

That said I would have to recommend a darker color for your BMW.

My new 911 has an even a lighter color but the leather is a different texture IMO although some Porsche owners complain about the Pebble leather interior. I guess I haven't learned and let my emotions do the choosing
      06-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #8
Mark's M
Captain

Drives: 2012 X5 35i but MISSING the M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ede92 View Post
My 2011 328 Cab had it. I had the dealer clean the heck out of it for free after 1 year after seeing some dye transfer. I also asked if this was an issue at lease end. They assured me it wasn't and turned out it was not.

That said I would have to recommend a darker color for your BMW.

My new 911 has an even a lighter color but the leather is a different texture IMO although some Porsche owners complain about the Pebble leather interior. I guess I haven't learned and let my emotions do the choosing
Have it on the X5 and if 1) you buy and use a good leather cleaner and conditioner (not Walmart junk) and then 2) clean it quickly maybe once/week and condition once every couple of months...you'll be fine. Lots of Km's and lots of use hasn't changed its colour one bit.

Not to worry...M235i or M2 E.D. is in the cards.
Mark's M is offline   Canada
      06-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #9
Lynn_228i

I just cleaned my Oyster Leather Seats a few days ago and it was a pain but worse was that the safety belt rubbed off some of the Oyster color down to black and I can't do anything about it. Now I am thinking of going with black seats in my next car which I am trying to still figure out if I want to wait for the 2015 model and extend my lease or buy/lease the 2014 model.
      06-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #10
Lynn_228i

Desert Guy, can you show us pictures of the Terra Leather as I am trying to decide now between black or terra leather. What color is the back of the terra leather seat?