THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW M2 Discussions Car & Driver Predicts S55 w/ 400HP for the M2

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-10-2014, 01:24 PM   #1
BMWJS
Enlisted Member
 
BMWJS's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Car & Driver Predicts S55 w/ 400HP for the M2

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Bold predictions from Car & Driver! We'll see.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2016-bmw-m2-spied-news

Last edited by BMWJS; 05-10-2014 at 01:57 PM.
BMWJS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
Bennu
Colonel
 
Bennu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Posts: 2,182
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
I really hope they do this but honestly they don't need to go pass 400HP. 375-380 is all they need to be competitive. I always thought they could go bold and make this with more power to weight than the new F80/F83 m3/m4 but I think a lot of people will not be happy about that.

Let's look at what BMW has said about the M235i vs the 1M to get some perspective of what the new M2 could be like.
Klaus Froehlich, Senior Vice President Brand and product Strategies at BMW said it's already faster than a 1M on the Nurburgring. That's faster than 8:15. The E92 did it in 8:05 which is a 10 second difference.
Adding more 78+ hp to the M2 vs M235i with better suspension, making it lighter and adding better brakes and internals will make the M2 even faster than the E92 M3 and possibly beating the F82M4 as well. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

What they could do is make it as fast as an E92 M3 so they will prob only need to add about 50 more HP, lose 100 pounds, add wider tires with all the other M goodies to achieve that.

I'd be happy if it's just as fast as an E92 M3 but more nimble and easier to toss around.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Bennu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 03:09 PM   #3
Jockey
Super Pilot
 
Jockey's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 1,634
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Jockey
Considering it's pretty much known here that the M2 is getting a modified N55, Car & Driver is wrong.
Jockey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 03:32 PM   #4
IEDEI
collapsing & relaxing.
 
IEDEI's Avatar
 
Drives: L'Orange 1M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 2,590
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey
Considering it's pretty much known here that the M2 is getting a modified N55, Car & Driver is wrong.
this. it is an N55. the end. can we stop these horrible speculative threads now about engines?
__________________
BMW 1M (VO, #374/740)
Audi TT 225 quattro coupe

BMW 135is (sold)

IEDEI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #5
Delnari
Captain
 
Delnari's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Alexandria, VA

Posts: 733
iTrader: (1)

One major issue I agree with on the Car and Driver article is the weight. The M2 must come in under 3300 lbs, better yet 3200 lbs! Let the buyer choose whether the want the luxury version, track version, or somewhere in between.

Cool options I really want to be offered are:
  1. Recaro Manual Seats
  2. Rear Seat Delete
  3. CC Brakes
  4. Aluminum Body Panels
  5. Badge Delete
  6. Short Shifter

Last edited by Delnari; 05-10-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Delnari is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 05:29 PM   #6
BMWJS
Enlisted Member
 
BMWJS's Avatar
 
Drives: E82 135i M Sport 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 45
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey
Considering it's pretty much known here that the M2 is getting a modified N55, Car & Driver is wrong.
this. it is an N55. the end. can we stop these horrible speculative threads now about engines?
Not promoting an engine. Just passing along an article. The N55 is a great engine and a new progression will likely make it fit the M2 as we would want. I like the thought that the new N55 will pull in technology shared with the S55.
BMWJS is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 05:33 PM   #7
m235i
Private First Class
 
Drives:
Join Date: Jul 2008

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJS View Post
Not promoting an engine. Just passing along an article. The N55 is a great engine and a new progression will likely make it fit the M2 as we would want. I like the thought that the new N55 will pull in technology shared with the S55.
What you posted was fine, just ignore the comments ....
m235i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-10-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Jockey
Super Pilot
 
Jockey's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 1,634
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Jockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWJS View Post
Not promoting an engine. Just passing along an article. The N55 is a great engine and a new progression will likely make it fit the M2 as we would want. I like the thought that the new N55 will pull in technology shared with the S55.
No worries. I honestly think the M2 N55 will have a lot of the neat features incorporated from the S55 (like the pretensioned turbos, I guess turbo in this case).

I'm 50/50 though if M takes the air-to-water intercooler or sticks with a standard air-cooled front mount.

In any regard, the M2 motor will have more in common with the N55 than the S55.
Jockey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2014, 11:32 AM   #9
williewonkerz
First Lieutenant
 
williewonkerz's Avatar
 
Drives: M235i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Winnipeg

Posts: 301
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
I suspect the M2 will likely be *very* similar to the M235 Racing: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=989642

So expect 340-350 torque and HP numbers, + LSD and different brakes.
williewonkerz is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: '14 M235i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana

Posts: 332
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
I really hope they do this but honestly they don't need to go pass 400HP. 375-380 is all they need to be competitive. I always thought they could go bold and make this with more power to weight than the new F80/F83 m3/m4 but I think a lot of people will not be happy about that.

Let's look at what BMW has said about the M235i vs the 1M to get some perspective of what the new M2 could be like.
Klaus Froehlich, Senior Vice President Brand and product Strategies at BMW said it's already faster than a 1M on the Nurburgring. That's faster than 8:15. The E92 did it in 8:05 which is a 10 second difference.
Adding more 78+ hp to the M2 vs M235i with better suspension, making it lighter and adding better brakes and internals will make the M2 even faster than the E92 M3 and possibly beating the F82M4 as well. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

What they could do is make it as fast as an E92 M3 so they will prob only need to add about 50 more HP, lose 100 pounds, add wider tires with all the other M goodies to achieve that.

I'd be happy if it's just as fast as an E92 M3 but more nimble and easier to toss around.
0-60 external reports are showing M235i already faster than E92 M3.
darkerosxx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #11
Bennu
Colonel
 
Bennu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Posts: 2,182
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
I really hope they do this but honestly they don't need to go pass 400HP. 375-380 is all they need to be competitive. I always thought they could go bold and make this with more power to weight than the new F80/F83 m3/m4 but I think a lot of people will not be happy about that.

Let's look at what BMW has said about the M235i vs the 1M to get some perspective of what the new M2 could be like.
Klaus Froehlich, Senior Vice President Brand and product Strategies at BMW said it's already faster than a 1M on the Nurburgring. That's faster than 8:15. The E92 did it in 8:05 which is a 10 second difference.
Adding more 78+ hp to the M2 vs M235i with better suspension, making it lighter and adding better brakes and internals will make the M2 even faster than the E92 M3 and possibly beating the F82M4 as well. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!

What they could do is make it as fast as an E92 M3 so they will prob only need to add about 50 more HP, lose 100 pounds, add wider tires with all the other M goodies to achieve that.

I'd be happy if it's just as fast as an E92 M3 but more nimble and easier to toss around.
0-60 external reports are showing M235i already faster than E92 M3.
I'm not concerned too much with 0-60 times I was talking more about beating the E92 M3 on the track. This is what I want to see. The M235i even with a LSD can't beat the M3 stock.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Bennu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-05-2014, 11:52 PM   #12
w3rkn
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 135is
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mich

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
I really hope they do this but honestly they don't need to go pass 400HP. ....

...., making it lighter and adding better brakes and internals will make the M2 even faster than the E92 M3 and possibly beating the F82M4 as well. THAT WILL NEVER HAPPEN!


I'd be happy if it's just as fast as an E92 M3 but more nimble and easier to toss around.

I think you are mistaken about that it will NEVER happen. The focus of the M2 is track.. that is not the focus of the M4.


The M2, when released, will be BMW's highest performance car. Essentially a streetable M235i R. It will not offer the amenities, or over-all creature comforts found in the M3/4, but it will hug the road like no other and have 400ft-lbs of torque at-will..

Expect the price to sky-rocket once you start adding on secondary BMW performance parts. All three (M235i, M2 & M235i R) are meant to be the Clubsport campaign to Mimic Porsche in racing.
w3rkn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-06-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
wcaspar
New Member
 
Drives: 2003 C32 AMG, 2013 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: PA

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
this. it is an N55. the end. can we stop these horrible speculative threads now about engines?
Had a 2008 135i, fun to drive, N54. Currently drive a 2013 e92 M3, great car, S65 v8 (great engine) and a 2003 C32 AMG, supercharged v6 (great engine). In addition would like to add a smaller performance car, sorry I sold the 135i.

Can't comment on speculation. 4 cylinder S engine or S55 I buy - N55 I pass. Not paying M price for tuned N55. If the M2 has a N55 will start looking at Mini and Golf R.
wcaspar is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
stealthM3
Private First Class
 
stealthM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

I agree with the comment above. I would not pay M price for the same engine in the 235i.

The "S" motor is what made the M cars unique, but that started to die down slowly. A single, twin scroll turbo is still not as powerful as even the N54 which I would have preferred to have but thats gone.

If anything it would be wiser to just get a 235i, add LSD and tune that to produce the extra 50-75hp and save on the $10k+ difference IMO.

However, I would take an N54 335is or 1M over the 235i/M2
stealthM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
Levi
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany

Posts: 3,208
iTrader: (0)

BMW will only do half job with the M2, just as they did with the 1M. It will be good enough to be one of the best BMW's, but not good enough to be the best car in the world.
Levi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #16
SOM3
Captain
 
SOM3's Avatar
 
Drives: SO F80
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Euro

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthM3 View Post
I agree with the comment above. I would not pay M price for the same engine in the 235i.

The "S" motor is what made the M cars unique, but that started to die down slowly. A single, twin scroll turbo is still not as powerful as even the N54 which I would have preferred to have but thats gone.

If anything it would be wiser to just get a 235i, add LSD and tune that to produce the extra 50-75hp and save on the $10k+ difference IMO.

However, I would take an N54 335is or 1M over the 235i/M2
I will disagree. I saw a 2 series car in person and it looked ok...nothing special. I also saw spy pics of M2 and that thing is a whole different animal. Wide body plus suspension/brake upgrades are reason enough to get it over pedestrian 235.

Once M2 comes out you will not even look twice at 235...at that time you will also forget all about 335is or 1M.
SOM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2014, 09:22 PM   #17
Reedomn
Captain
 
Reedomn's Avatar
 
Drives: 1M
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 906
iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I will disagree. I saw a 2 series car in person and it looked ok...nothing special. I also saw spy pics of M2 and that thing is a whole different animal. Wide body plus suspension/brake upgrades are reason enough to get it over pedestrian 235.

Once M2 comes out you will not even look twice at 235...at that time you will also forget all about 335is or 1M.
^^^ I love a good joker.....
__________________
VO 1M
Sold- 2008 JZB/Fox E90 M3 6MT Launch car
Sold- 2004 Audi S4..Sold- 1997 Estoril e36 M3
Sold -1991 Black e34 M5..Sold-1995 Black e36 M3
Sadly Sold- Henna Red e30 M3
Reedomn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #18
Lucky13
Lucky13
 
Drives: 2014 M235 manual
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Columbia, S.C.

Posts: 1,144
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I will disagree. I saw a 2 series car in person and it looked ok...nothing special. I also saw spy pics of M2 and that thing is a whole different animal. Wide body plus suspension/brake upgrades are reason enough to get it over pedestrian 235.

Once M2 comes out you will not even look twice at 235...at that time you will also forget all about 335is or 1M.
You'll definitely forget about an M3.
__________________
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8,2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0,
2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive,
2014 M235 manual
Lucky13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #19
stealthM3
Private First Class
 
stealthM3's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e90 M3
Join Date: May 2010
Location: OC

Posts: 121
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I will disagree. I saw a 2 series car in person and it looked ok...nothing special. I also saw spy pics of M2 and that thing is a whole different animal. Wide body plus suspension/brake upgrades are reason enough to get it over pedestrian 235.

Once M2 comes out you will not even look twice at 235...at that time you will also forget all about 335is or 1M.
^^^ I love a good joker.....
So do I. He was quick to jump to conclusion
I enjoy my N/A 400whp v8 that revs to 8400rpm. Enough said.
stealthM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2014, 01:27 AM   #20
Wilson
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: broken down
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: dark corner

Posts: 41
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
One major issue I agree with on the Car and Driver article is the weight. The M2 must come in under 3300 lbs, better yet 3200 lbs! Let the buyer choose whether the want the luxury version, track version, or somewhere in between.

Cool options I really want to be offered are:
  1. Recaro Manual Seats
  2. Rear Seat Delete
  3. CC Brakes
  4. Aluminum Body Panels
  5. Badge Delete
  6. Short Shifter
Couldn't have said it better myself Delnari.

Make all of the options available and let the buyer build his dream M2. Those who want CF roof , go for it, those who want moon roof for cruising around on a Sunday arvo, cool. 6MT, M-DCT, leather, cloth whatever.

My car will never see a track, so I prefer it with all the extras.

One last thing. My current DD is a Golf R stage 2, and the thing I like about it most is the driving position, which is known to be one of the best in motoring. I have looked at the CLA / A 45 and the S3 (in preparation for the RS3) and those cars didn't inspire me as far as the seating position. I took one seat in the M235 and felt immediately at home, everything is in its perfect position. That is what has sealed the deal for me on an M2. BMW have really done their homework on this one.
Wilson is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2014, 02:05 AM   #21
SOM3
Captain
 
SOM3's Avatar
 
Drives: SO F80
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Euro

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
You'll definitely forget about an M3.
That may be true and I'm not ruling that out...
SOM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-08-2014, 02:08 AM   #22
SOM3
Captain
 
SOM3's Avatar
 
Drives: SO F80
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Euro

Posts: 663
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedomn View Post
^^^ I love a good joker.....
Don't be upset. I've been around long enough to know this to be true. The joke is on you.
SOM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2015 bmw m2, 2015 m2, 2016 bmw m2, 2016 m2, bmw f22 m2, bmw f87 m2, bmw f92, bmw m2, bmw m2 coupe, bmw m2 coupe news, bmw m2 engine, bmw m2 f22, bmw m2 f87, bmw m2 forum, bmw m2 forums, bmw m2 motor, bmw m2 n55, bmw m2 n55 engine, bmw m2 news, bmw m2 render, bmw m2 rendering, bmw m2 renders, bmw m2 rumors, bmw spy pic, bmw spy shot, bmw spyshot, f87, f87 m2, f92 m2, m2 coupe, m2 f87, m2 f92, m2 forum, m2 forums, m2 n55, m2 news, m2 rumors, n55 bmw m2, n55 m2

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST