THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Connected drive + internet + remote services

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #1
one1er
Private First Class
one1er's Avatar
8
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: M235i (Yet to come)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Connected drive + internet + remote services

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys


I've been trying to understand the working principle of these services...meaning, how does the car get internet access, plus remote services, etc...do you have to get a sim card into the car? On bmw's website it says the internet option will word for 1 year, and then you can extend it...so, is BMW providing the internet, with a monthly fee??

I'm ordering mine with the navigation pack, which includes the professional nav system, with real time traffic and connect drive, and was wondering if the internet and remote service are worth it...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
10
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

The car has a sim card with 3G, it will be subscription based after one year. I hope the yearly subscription is cheap, otherwise I'll go back to using my phone for that stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #3
one1er
Private First Class
one1er's Avatar
8
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: M235i (Yet to come)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pray for Mojo View Post
The car has a sim card with 3G, it will be subscription based after one year. I hope the yearly subscription is cheap, otherwise I'll go back to using my phone for that stuff.
The car comes with the a sim card, with free internet for 1 year?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #4
darkerosxx
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
353
Posts

Drives: '14 M235i
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Louisiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
The car comes with the a sim card, with free internet for 1 year?
Yes, and it blows. Super slow. Information retrieval may be worth it to some indigent farmer who doesn't have a smart phone. I'm a heavy internet user and literally the only use I've found for this is to search for locations to put in navigation. The only other use is the occasional review checks on yelp, but that's more just for kicks, truly could care less if it existed.

Anyone found a valid use other than the above for the internet access? I would love to actually use it for something worthwhile.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
one1er
Private First Class
one1er's Avatar
8
Rep
136
Posts

Drives: M235i (Yet to come)
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Portugal

iTrader: (0)

What about the remote services, open and close, doors, flash headlights, etc...it says "for life" on bmw's website, so I guess, that is a separate thing from the internet, but again, how does the car receive the data!?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 03:54 PM   #6
Pray for Mojo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
10
Rep
237
Posts

Drives: 2014 M235i
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Calgary

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkerosxx View Post
Yes, and it blows. Super slow. Information retrieval may be worth it to some indigent farmer who doesn't have a smart phone. I'm a heavy internet user and literally the only use I've found for this is to search for locations to put in navigation. The only other use is the occasional review checks on yelp, but that's more just for kicks, truly could care less if it existed.

Anyone found a valid use other than the above for the internet access? I would love to actually use it for something worthwhile.
The BMW Connect or whatever has the weather and news, but you are correct its pretty slow.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 04:17 PM   #7
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
bimmerbuff's Avatar
United_States
8
Rep
323
Posts

Drives: Between BMWs
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
What about the remote services, open and close, doors, flash headlights, etc...it says "for life" on bmw's website, so I guess, that is a separate thing from the internet, but again, how does the car receive the data!?
I believe all remote services are communicated to the car via cellular data. In the States it used to be over Verizon's network but I believe BMW switched to AT&T a few years ago. Not 100% sure on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
mathis.
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
41
Posts

Drives: 235
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by one1er View Post
What about the remote services, open and close, doors, flash headlights, etc...it says "for life" on bmw's website, so I guess, that is a separate thing from the internet, but again, how does the car receive the data!?
That is all off of BMW's "Remote" app. you have to activate BMW Assist for it to sync with the car. be sure to use the us version of the app
__________________
Current: 235i Black Sapphire/Coral Red. 6SP. Tech, Premium

Previous: E38 740il, E66 745li, E46 M3 TiSi/Imola, E39 M5 CB/Caramel
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 AM.




2addicts
2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST