THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Non-standard color. Is it possible?

03-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Non-standard color. Is it possible?

Okay, first of all, let me say that I know that BMW Individual is NOT available on the 2-series.

I'm really tempted by the m235i... more tempted by any car than I can remember in a long time... but one thing is hanging me up a bit... I'm just not thrilled with any of the colors. I'd really like to get this car in the Oxford Green that's been available on various BMWs in the past, and I'm pretty sure is still available in the Individual program.

Again, I know that BMW Individual is unavailable on the 2-series, but, as with a lot of things in life, there's unavailable... and then there's 'unavailable' (with the latter meaning 'unavailable UNLESS you're willing to wave around enough money' haha).

The thing is, I might be willing to spend a fair amount money to make this happen, but I don't want to get the runaround from dealers (i.e., them telling me it can happen to get a deposit, but then crapping out). So, what y'all think? Worth a shot? Am I wasting my time even toying with this idea?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #2
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

Well if you are willing to pay £5k+ just buy one and get it painted by a bodyshop
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #3
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

If money is no object, why even bother going through BMW? Just fork over $8k to a highly qualified body shop and they'll get it done much better than a factory paint job.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
M.barnes
Captain
Rep
Drives: 123d

+1 about it being a better finish
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Two things to keep in mind. First, the 2015 MY will be out soon and they very well may have additional colors available. Second, while you might have a major hard on for green and be willing to pay a queen's ransom for it, I wouldn't count on getting any of that back if/when you look to sell the car. If you're cool with that great, but just something to be mindful of. Not like spending $2400 on premium package that will add some value down the road.

2015s go into production in July. If you've got your mind made up that the current colors just aren't going to work, I would highly suggest waiting for a month or two and see what happens. Not sure about you but I'd be highly upset if I paid $8K to get custom green or something and 2015 colors came out and something that was added for $550 struck me as "wow I kind of like that, could have done that for sure."
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 04:04 PM   #6
DrFranknFurter
Rep
Drives: VW Scirocco

What about getting it wrapped? protects the paint work and can be unwrapped if desired when you move it on or get bored.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Ramos
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 2020 M340

Waste of money in my opinion but to each his own I guess
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 07:02 PM   #8
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Thought BMW individual is available on all their vehicles - it's the whole idea of it!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Two things to keep in mind. First, the 2015 MY will be out soon and they very well may have additional colors available. Second, while you might have a major hard on for green and be willing to pay a queen's ransom for it, I wouldn't count on getting any of that back if/when you look to sell the car. If you're cool with that great, but just something to be mindful of. Not like spending $2400 on premium package that will add some value down the road.

2015s go into production in July. If you've got your mind made up that the current colors just aren't going to work, I would highly suggest waiting for a month or two and see what happens. Not sure about you but I'd be highly upset if I paid $8K to get custom green or something and 2015 colors came out and something that was added for $550 struck me as "wow I kind of like that, could have done that for sure."
That's good advice. You're right. 2015 ordering info is only a couple of months away. I'm not holding my breath that new colors will arrive and blow me away, but it's worth at least taking a wait-and-see approach.

As to the issue of re-sale value, it's not a concern for me at all. This is seriously the kind of car that I think I might like to own on a long-term/permanent basis.

As for the suggestions of just getting a quality paint job at a good body shop, yeah, that's probably more economical than really pushing the limits of the BMW ordering system. I might just end up getting Alpine White and repainting it after a year or two.

Anyway, thanks to all for the replies/suggestions.
Appreciate 0