THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Strange sound....any one else

Yesterday, 02:28 PM   #1
jmr0311
Private First Class

Drives: AW BMW M235i

Strange sound....any one else

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
How much turbo lag you guys are experiencing on the BMW M235i? I notice my car takes a little bit to long to engage the turbos ones I step on the gas pedal. Also notice that with windows down and running at low speed when the transmission changes gears I can hear an strange deep sound that I have dificulty describing, maybe like an exhaust leak.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 02:36 PM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States

Drives: M235i

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr0311
How much turbo lag you guys are experiencing on the BMW M235i? I notice my car takes a little bit to long to engage the turbos ones I step on the gas pedal. Also notice that with windows down and running at low speed when the transmission changes gears I can hear an strange deep sound that I have dificulty describing, maybe like an exhaust leak.
Very little turbo lag

Could the sound be the exhaust flaps opening/closing
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #3
jmr0311
Private First Class

That might be what I heard, "Exhaust Flap". I usually don't drive my BMW with the windows down but because the car got broken in to this weekend, I don't have a driver side window. I've done the "Throttle Body Adaptation" reset a few times on my BMW, can it be possible that I cause this issue I'm experiencing.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #4
hyperzulu
Major
United_States

Drives: 2012 335is

I didn't experience any (well maaaaybe a tiny bit) turbo lag. I have the N54 engine in my 335is which has a bit of lag. In comparison the N55 in the M235i feels very linear with very little lag... it feels a lot like an NA engine.

The exhaust does have a deep burp when upshifting though. That's normal and lovely.
      Yesterday, 04:00 PM   #5
jmr0311
Private First Class

It probably has always done the noise but because I always have my windows up, I never heard it. Maybe is time to get me the "AFE Scorcher Module" and a good cold air intake to forget about the small turbo lag.
Appreciate 0