THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW M2 Discussions M2 Projected Release Date/Year?

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-13-2013, 05:47 PM   #23
Adam135
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 135i
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: USA

Posts: 895
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post
Scott seems to very strongly believe it'll be an I4.
My little cousin strongly believes Santa exists
Adam135 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #24
IEDEI
TRAGIC FANTASTIC!
 
IEDEI's Avatar
 
Drives: L'Orange 1M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 2,247
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheshirecat79 View Post
You were just wrong, no big deal.

It'll be interesting to see what they put in the M2.
If we really want to be pedantic about it, where did the N55 come from?


Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
on one hand you say N/A engines are the best......then the single turbo N55 which behaves MORE like an N/A engine you call 'gimped'....which it is actually not, unless one modifies stuff. Then you call the S55 the same as the N54, whicp it is NOT....it's actually a lot more like the N55.

come on, man! you've gotta get your story straight
For my interests and application, NA is definitely best. Not sure why you think the engine with more lag is more NA like.

The S55 N54 comment was in reference to the twin turbo setup, which is almost always more exploitable for power.
it doesn't have more lag....no evidence anywhere to support that! I've driven all 3 engines in several different cars now and I like the n55 best....it acts less like a turbo engine and has a more dynamic range all around IMO. very very smooth. Have you driven an n55?
__________________
BMW 1M (VO, #374/740)
Audi TT 225qc (black, 6speed)

IEDEI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #25
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
 
TheSt|G's Avatar
 
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside Philly

Posts: 3,633
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it doesn't have more lag....no evidence anywhere to support that! I've driven all 3 engines in several different cars now and I like the n55 best....it acts less like a turbo engine and has a more dynamic range all around IMO. very very smooth. Have you driven an n55?
Yup and the N54. Definitely prefered the N54. Both were considered before I went 128i. Money wasn't the issue(as it should be apparent based on the mod list), I just don't like the throttle response, power curve, reliability, heat, weight, and all the other assorted fun that comes with a turbo engine.

Also pretty clear which one BMW prefers for more serious application seeing as it wound up in the 1M.
TheSt|G is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #26
AGAV13
Lieutenant
 
AGAV13's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 135is (#363/586)
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Kensington

Posts: 409
iTrader: (2)

If there is any slight hint of one coming I'll be on the phone first thing with my order.
__________________
2013 BMW 135is - AW, Black Boston Leather w/ Exclusive Blue Stitching, Prem., Tech, DCT, Heated Seats, HK & PDC (6/8/13 - M2?)
2007 Honda Civic Si FA5 - Fiji Blue Pearl (11/7/06 Sold 5/31/13)
AGAV13 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
Jockey
Super Pilot
 
Jockey's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 AW 135i
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 1,514
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Jockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam135 View Post
My little cousin strongly believes Santa exists
Unless your cousin is on the inside of Santa Corp, I'll go with what Scott is saying since everyone else's opinion is just conjecture
Jockey is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #28
IEDEI
TRAGIC FANTASTIC!
 
IEDEI's Avatar
 
Drives: L'Orange 1M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 2,247
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
it doesn't have more lag....no evidence anywhere to support that! I've driven all 3 engines in several different cars now and I like the n55 best....it acts less like a turbo engine and has a more dynamic range all around IMO. very very smooth. Have you driven an n55?
Yup and the N54. Definitely prefered the N54. Both were considered before I went 128i. Money wasn't the issue(as it should be apparent based on the mod list), I just don't like the throttle response, power curve, reliability, heat, weight, and all the other assorted fun that comes with a turbo engine.

Also pretty clear which one BMW prefers for more serious application seeing as it wound up in the 1M.
the 1M used the N54 because they plopped it right in there from the Z4 35....not because it was a better engine. The fact that they are using the same block as the N55 for the new m3 and m4 engines prove that the n55 is as robust as they come.

don't get me wrong....I love the N52 and the N54....but the N52 isn't powerful or exciting enough for me and the N54 was plagued by reliability issues, but most of all neither of those provide the power with the combination of smoothness like the N55 does. the N55 boost kicks in at 1300 just like the N54 did....there's hardly any lag anywhere from my experiences. People who have DCTs have noticed lag, but that's likely due to the transmission not the engine.
__________________
BMW 1M (VO, #374/740)
Audi TT 225qc (black, 6speed)

IEDEI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #29
Nugget
Major
 
Nugget's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Perth

Posts: 1,240
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
yep...the new M3's engine is basically an N55 with another turbo slapped on and then called an S55!
No it's not.
Nugget is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 03:22 AM   #30
Daft Auto
Captain
 
Daft Auto's Avatar
 
Drives: 128i 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malibu

Posts: 635
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the 1M used the N54 because they plopped it right in there from the Z4 35....not because it was a better engine. The fact that they are using the same block as the N55 for the new m3 and m4 engines prove that the n55 is as robust as they come.
Wut.

That's it, I'm done with the internet for today.
Daft Auto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 10:00 AM   #31
IEDEI
TRAGIC FANTASTIC!
 
IEDEI's Avatar
 
Drives: L'Orange 1M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 2,247
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daft Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
the 1M used the N54 because they plopped it right in there from the Z4 35....not because it was a better engine. The fact that they are using the same block as the N55 for the new m3 and m4 engines prove that the n55 is as robust as they come.
Wut.

That's it, I'm done with the internet for today.
well it's true, man! the Z4 had the same exact engine as the 1M....and the S55 has identical block specs as the N55, albeit modified in other ways (turbos, bore, etc and more)

I've been over zealous to say it's the same engine with turbos, however there is no denying that the S55 wasn't made from the N55 basis....

read here where it says "derived from the N55"
http://<a href="http://f80.bimmerpos...p?t=893611</a>
__________________
BMW 1M (VO, #374/740)
Audi TT 225qc (black, 6speed)

IEDEI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
ISLong
Private First Class
 
ISLong's Avatar
 
Drives: 135is
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 194
iTrader: (1)

I want to know how the n55 is unreliable? I know tons of people who have n55 cars and never have issues with them. N54... Now that's a different story, they can have fun with the extra 30hp or so they get with identical mods over an n55, and they can also have fun with the repairs.
__________________
2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
ISLong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 10:57 AM   #33
ISLong
Private First Class
 
ISLong's Avatar
 
Drives: 135is
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: South Carolina

Posts: 194
iTrader: (1)

I will have to agree with the throttle response comment though...I wish it had a "sport" button did like my m3 that made the pedal so much more agressive
__________________
2013 BMW 135is Le Mans/exclusive 6MT #516 of 586
|Hardwired Valentine K1|TMS Aluminum pedals|BMWP interior|COBB Sport Springs|FRP Front Splitters|BMW Performance CF Lip Spoiler|AA Strut Tower Brace|AA Charge Pipe|AA 4" Catless DP|AA Sport FMIC|Phoenix yellow Cyba scoops|AFE Stage 2 oiled|JB4|
2002 BMW M3 Imola/black 6MT (RIP)
ISLong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #34
GeeRam
Captain
 
GeeRam's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London,UK

Posts: 871
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1descending View Post
I don't see them making an M2, and if they do it'll likely be limited production like the 1M. There's just not really room in the product range for it
Huh...... are you serious?

Given that the new M3/M4 are not far off the size of an E60 M5, I'd say there definately is a market for a proper sized ///M car which the M2 would be close to (IMHO even the 2 Series is too big now but it's the only hope for a decent future ///M car)

Current M5/M6 and X5M/X6M are just too laughable to be taken seriously.
__________________
2011 135i M-Sport Coupe DCT ~ Bluewater:Coral Red | BMWP CF spoiler & BMWPE | Birds B1 suspension | Forge FMIC | Hartge footrest | Alufelgen CS7 & Pirelli P Zero

2012 Harley Davidson Softail Slim ~ lots of mods
GeeRam is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      04-10-2014, 07:51 PM   #35
Dee Pee
Lieutenant
 
Dee Pee's Avatar
 
Drives: '02 M Roadster, '11 AW 1M
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Portland, OR

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

I put a deposit down 1/17/2014. My CA and I think that it will be at least 18 months if not longer.
Dee Pee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #36
IEDEI
TRAGIC FANTASTIC!
 
IEDEI's Avatar
 
Drives: L'Orange 1M
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NYC

Posts: 2,247
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee
I put a deposit down 1/17/2014. My CA and I think that it will be at least 18 months if not longer.
are you serious?! wow....you're tempting me to do the same.
__________________
BMW 1M (VO, #374/740)
Audi TT 225qc (black, 6speed)

IEDEI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:29 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST