Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Info on Run-Flats and BMW Sales/Service Reps report on Run-Flats

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-15-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Hoah999
Rep
Drives:

Spare Tire / Runflat tires

I have read some of the other threads. I am confused. Is there a spare tire? Where is it?

I know this sounds like a silly question, but thanks for helping
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #2
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

No question is too silly we all had to learn somewhere. No spare tire in the E90. It will comes with run flat tires. BMW doesn't include spares anymore so they have to include run flat tires for liability reasons I believe.

The run flat tires it will come with are actually excellent tires, bested only by the top notch summer performance tires. Downside to run flat tires is that they are ultra stiff (sidewalls) to give them the ability to keep running even when flat, which may give a harsher ride. But if you don't like them you can just swap them out for a regular tire. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2005, 12:54 AM   #3
PHE
Rep
Drives:

The idea is that with the run-flat tyres, you can drive up to about 150 miles, enough to reach a garage for a change. This works fine in Europe, but its funny reading about this on Australian websites where there can be 100s or even 1000s of miles between BMW garages. The BMW response to this little problem was that "People who drive BMWs are much more likely to fly long distances rather than drive" - and presumably live in or close to the major cities!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2005, 09:41 PM   #4
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Runflat tire system
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
mfstout
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328i Coupe

Run-flat idea

OK, so as I, like some of you, struggle with the absurdity of having no spare in the trunk of my new e90 (if I actually get an e90), I have come to this thought: I live in Chicago. I hear the run-flat technology is vastly-improved. It's here to stay, so I just have to deal. And they're a great idea. Anytime I'm in Chicago I figure I am well within the radius to get my car to a BMW dealer to change my tire. If I plan a long road trip, my guess is someone out there will quickly develop an after-market space-saver that will somehow fit in the trunk. Sure it'll take up more space. Sure it's ludicrous to think I have to put a spare in there because someone at BMW decided we no longer need spares. But the way I see it, I'll have peace-of-mind when I'm further from a major city. It's not ideal, but Bimmers are one of the most popular cars in the world for after-market products. If I love the car when I see it, I think I can deal with the slight inconvenience of the after-market spare.

sparky
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2005, 04:06 PM   #6
Ewrek
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

I say to each his own....I really don't feel like adding an extra spare tire to the rear. BMW has done the research and beleves in its technology....so I belive in them.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

More info on runflat tires:

Technology for greater active safety

With the launch of the self-supporting tyre featuring emergency running characteristics, the BMW Group is once again playing a pioneering role by increasing active safety on the road yet again.

All BMW Z4, 1 and 6 Series models as well as the MINI Cooper S and the new 3 Series sedan are already being fitted with Runflat tyres as standard. The great benefit of these tyres is that in the event of a puncture, and the complete loss of air pressure within the tyre, it is possible to continue the journey at speeds of up to 80 km/h, without the immediate need for a wheel replacement. The tyres are also available as optional extras for the BMW 5 and 7 Series and the MINI and MINI Cooper.

One of Germany's leading automobile magazines has conducted extensive driving tests, which have served to confirm the benefits of the Runflat tyres now being employed by BMW. Compared with all other tyre systems, Runflat tyres offer increased dynamics under normal conditions, better handling, and shorter braking distances in the event of a breakdown, not to mention the increased comfort compared to other emergency running concepts.

No more fear of punctures thanks to the special tyre construction

It is the nightmare of every car driver to suddenly have to suffer puncture in a long motorway tunnel or perhaps at night during a rainstorm with no hard shoulder available.But now there is the self-supporting emergency tyre with the emergency running characteristics, known as the Runflat tyre. With these tyres fitted to your car, it is no longer necessary to stop immediately to change the wheel. You can continue driving in comfort until you reach the next garage.

The tyre employs additional elastic inlays made from an extremely heat-resistant rubber mixture, in the side walls. This prevents the tyre becoming so hot that it bursts into flames. This is why the self-supporting tyre is able to continue going for distances of up to 150 km, with the vehicle fully loaded, despite having lost all of its internal air pressure. With lighter loads or if a residual pressure remains in the tyre, this distance is several times higher.

Drive on in confidence, even with a burst tyre

But that is not all. The new tyre technology also offers extremely high safety, in particular in the event of a sudden loss in tyre pressure. The specially formed EH2 wheel rims mean that the Runflat tyre does not lose contact with the wheel if air escapes suddenly, which represents a substantial increase in safety when driving at high speeds along bendy roads.

When a conventional tyre bursts, the driver is in most cases confronted with a problem with no solution. In contrast, a car fitted with Runflat tyres remains easy to control and retains stability within its lane, even in an extreme situation such as this. Extreme steering manoeuvres are unnecessary, not least because the ABS, ASC and DSC systems all remain functional and continue to support the driver in controlling his vehicle.

A further advantage of this special type of wheel compared with competing systems is that it is always possible to fit a standard tyre as a spare, in the event that the corresponding type of Runflat tyre is not available in the short term.

Increased safety from automatic tyre pressure control

The significant increase in safety which these tyres afford the driver is not at the cost of comfort on the road, and it even leads to improved dynamics. Since the running characteristics and the visual appearance of the Runflat tyres remain inconspicuous, even after pressure loss, it is possible that the driver does not even notice that he has suffered a puncture. Which is why whenever these tyres are fitted, it is always in combination with a standard Tyre Puncture Indicator.
The Tyre Puncture Indicator gives both visual and audible warning in the event of pressure loss. Most tyre damage is preceded by a gradual drop in pressure. This system calculates the tyre pressures from their respective rotational speeds, as registered by the ABS sensors.

Less weight and more luggage space in the rear

It isn't just the increased safety from which the customer is set to benefit. Since it is no longer necessary to carry a spare wheel or a jack, the vehicle weight falls by up to 27 kilograms in the case of the 7 Series models. Not only that, but it also frees up an additional 90 litres of luggage space in the luggage compartment. In the case of the 3 Series, the weight saving is 10 kilograms and additional luggage compartment space of the order of 70 liters.

Already in broad use

With its broad-based launch of this new safety system, the BMW Group has once more demonstrated its pioneering role and leading position within the market. This tyre system has been available since 2000in the BMW Z8, where it was fitted as standard. The high-safety tyres are now being gradually introduced in all the remaining BMW and MINI model series.

The 1 and 3 Series sedan models, the 6 Series, Z4, Z8 and MINI Cooper S are all supplied with the new tyres fitted as standard. In the case of the 5 and 7 Series, MINI and MINI Cooper Runflat tyres are available in combination with attractive, light-metal wheels, upon request. Approximately 65 percent of all BMW 5 Series and MINI models are currently being ordered with the optional Runflat tyres. The M vehicle series is equipped with the M Mobility System.

Convinced yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #8
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

If I had a flat, can I get it is patched or should they be completely replaced?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2005, 07:37 PM   #9
jpv-USC
Rep
Drives: 2003 325Cic, red/b

the first thing im doing is buying an extra 168 wheel/tire and strapping it in my trunk.
      04-21-2005, 06:42 AM   #10
pharding
Major
Rep
Drives: 23 Audi Q4 e-tron + 14 X3 28i

What do you get with a 330 sport package? Are those tires run flats?

Is there room for a donut tire in a well in the trunk?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

No. No room for any kind of wheel in the trunk floor
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #12
Tierfreund
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

Run-Flats cannot be repaired. Have to be replaced.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 10:43 AM   #13
BMWAustin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tierfreund
Run-Flats cannot be repaired. Have to be replaced.
That sucks, each of those costs $250.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2005, 05:52 PM   #14
Briteboy[iCE]
Rep
Drives: Silver 325i

That is dumb. In my life i've messed up so many tires that I know having a working spare in the trunk is essential. Thanks for nothing BMW
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2005, 11:40 PM   #15
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
BMW Sales/Service Reps report on Run-Flats

A couple days ago BMW had the E90 rollout/intro event for all the South Florida Sales Reps and Service Reps at Moroso Speedway here in Palm Beach County.

After several hot laps and time in the car the BMW folks set some cones up for a slolom event and asked the sales/service guys to have a go at the best slolom time. As each finished his/her turn they were asked how the car felt and if they noticed anything strange. EVERY one said no that the car felt fine. They were then told that every car had a flat rear tire.

I know many of these guys and they all drive BMWs. They were totally blown away by the demonstration. They also mentioned that they were surprised and very pleased with the ride quality of the cars with these tires. All cars were equiped with the Sport Pkg.

Just maybe....these are going to be great tires. I hope, I hope.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 07:47 AM   #16
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Thanks for that CaptJack. I'm sure many here will be reassured to hear that about runflats. I'll personally be getting max performance summer tires on mine, but most will probably keep their stock tires. That's a good blind test they had set up I take it that you didn't have a chance to personally test the tires?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 09:43 AM   #17
Wildcat Jon
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

What were the brand of run flats on those cars?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 10:13 AM   #18
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwocky
Thanks for that CaptJack. I'm sure many here will be reassured to hear that about runflats. I'll personally be getting max performance summer tires on mine, but most will probably keep their stock tires. That's a good blind test they had set up I take it that you didn't have a chance to personally test the tires?
Would love to see a test between the Run-flat Michelin PS2's that many of the 18" wheels are comming with and the regular PS2
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 10:16 AM   #19
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Run-flats

No, unfortunately I wasn't there. I'm not affiliated with BMW or the dealership other than knowing many the people there and having owned a bunch of BMWs.The feedback was from those that were at Moroso and drove the cars.

I will get a chance however next Sat. when BMW holds a "Ride and Drive" event for the E90 here in Ft. Lauderdale. I got an invitation through my dealer. If you've never been to one of these they are a real "Hoot"! After a slick rollout and introduction by a BMW rep to the new car you get to go out, do some "Hot Laps" with a pro driver, and then have a shot at best time in an autocross that they set up for the attendees. They undoubtably will have a skid pad area set up to demonstrate/evaluate the DSC, brakes etc. (All while using THEIR cars) as well as a chance to take the vehicles out onto the roadways and test drive them around town. They usually have the competition's cars there for you to drive and compare against their new offering, in this case I would guess it will be: MB C class, Lexus i300, Jag X series.

These events typically aren't publicised or listed in the "Events" section of the BMW web site since there is only a limited number of attendees they can handle. Anyone who is interested in one of these "Ride & Drives" (and who the heck in their right mind wouldn't be) should check with their local dealer to see if one is scheduled in their area.

This will be the 4th one I've attended when a new series was brought out, and they are more fun than you can imagine. Food, entertainment, displays and a couple BMW NA reps to answer questions. It's kinda like 3 Across America taken to whole new level.

Now, if I'm REALLY lucky I'll be driving to the event in my new E90 330i since it should be at the dealer this coming week. The big question will be if BMW will let them deliver the car before May 6th.

Almost forget to mention this: The service manager at the dealer here had cautioned about putting non-run flats on these cars until other reliable testing has been done using them (ala Tire Rack or car mags). The reason is that the suspensions of all e90s have been specifically tuned to run on these tires and the possiblity exists that some rather nasty consequences might occur if running on tires with much softer sidewalls. - Just something to think about.

Also, I don't know what the tire brands were.

Jack

Last edited by CaptJack; 04-23-2005 at 10:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 10:35 AM   #20
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Yes, my dealers techs were also warned that the E90 suspension is set up for run-flats and not normal tires at their training
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 10:43 AM   #21
CaptJack
Mach 1 in a BMW
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Run-Flat brands

I do recall, however, that the cars at the 3 Across America event in Orlando were shod with Bridgestone Potenzas.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #22
Autobahn
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Wow great info everyone... makes me feel much better about the runflats. But this last bit about the suspension being setup for just runflats worries me a little. Would BMW really do something like this and not think that a lot of people may not end up using runflats?
Appreciate 0