THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Hi, new to the club Avin Nav Android 8.8

05-29-2016, 06:55 PM   #1
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i Coupe

Hi, new to the club Avin Nav Android 8.8

Hi everyone... I recently bought a 228i 2016 (which i could bought a 235 but out of my range, here in PR they start at $56000 mine was $42780 out the door) with the only option was xenon headlights...

I didn't like the 6.5 screen and was looking for options, after some exploring I ordered the Avin system from Thomas, the item was sent by dhl directly from china, I ordered with the rear camera, dvd player, tv player and maps...

Now for the good, the bad and the ugly...

The good: the system has a beautiful hd 8.8 screen (if it is hd it looks hd the youtube videos, hulu, netflix and dvd), it plays usb mp3 and mp4 videos perfectly (my car did not come with the enhanced usb but you could play music with the logos with the usb in the arm compartment), I have torque app in it connected by wifi and works great just have to change the backgroung for it to look better but I erased the background I was using and put the one you see that I do not like (bought also bluetooth but I could not get it to work maybe if I spent more time on it it would work (tried it for about 20 minutes of course with a bluetooth obd), the google maps app works great the settings have to be changed to the wifi from the phone, then it works as hulu and netflix and looks great. The dvd works great, the movie did not look great because it not an original copy... The tel bluethooth I have not tried because even if you are in the android part if a call comes in it works with the car bluetooth... I like the system most of the time I use the torque app with mp3 music in the backround. It comes ready to attach a rear camera, you put it on reverse and it pups up, tested and worked great, now I just have to drill the trunk and will wise a wireless camera. Touchscreen only works in the android side.

The bad... it always loads (about 30 seconds) when you start the car if you were using the android side it starts with android, if you were using the car side it starts with the car side, in the car side the screen looks good but not great because it is larger (I think I can change that with programming the car like when you change the screen but it is a new car, I bought the cable but not comfortable doing it even after all thet I have read). In the car side it has a speedometer in km and it is made for the 320, 328 because it shows 2 backdoors open, here we use miles per hour and the 228 is 2 doors (it came for the back with the 328 and you take it out and also comes with the back for the 228 so it fits flush, sorry this is good). Now the android side, the tv does not have a place in the main box to connect it, so it does not work, it says you do not need wifi to use if you buy the maps, the maps are fron Sygic (used it before it is great on the phone) I load them but then it says it needs to download a part from the google playstore but when it tries it says that the device is not compatible with that app, I know that maybe if I spent half a day I could get it to work but have not have time to do that.

The ugly... If you are using the android side you can not use the radio, you can only use the mp3 connected by usb device in the glovebox, so if you use torque app or google map app you can only listen to that. The android system is not the easiest to use and it takes time for you to get used to it. The rear camera was for maybe another BMW, had to buy a wireless one from ebay.

I will be glad to answer any questions...

Thanks
Alexis
San Juan, PR
Attached Images

Last edited by alexis2400; 05-29-2016 at 08:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2016, 01:14 PM   #2
lazyleung
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i THP 6MT

Looks like a nice upgrade! This is probably the closest to getting an integrated Android Auto solution...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep

Torque photo

Like this background for Torque App.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #4
scorpiusx
Rep
Drives: BMW

Any problem with Navigation Sound?

Hi there,

I have a similar unit as you which I got from AVIN. I am experiencing some problem with the navigation sound and would like to seek your advice. I am attaching a Youtube of the issue.

Do you have a similar issue? Thanks very much in advance for your help!

With Warmest Regards

Last edited by scorpiusx; 06-16-2016 at 02:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 08:10 AM   #5
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hi... Link did not work... Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 02:41 AM   #6
scorpiusx
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis2400 View Post
Hi... Link did not work... Thanks
Oops! My bad. Here is the link again:

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #7
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hi... its the same in mine... if I use an android apps I can only listen to the music files in the USB... it all depends how you change the screens, if you use back it will cancel what you already have...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 07:40 AM   #8
scorpiusx
Rep

I see. Thanks for sharing the information. Seems like a bug in the software to me. A real pity. It would be a perfect unit if they can sort out the issue. What apps have you tried so far? I have installed PowerAmp, Car Dashdroid, BS Player, Google Maps. They seem to work quite well. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #9
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep

Hi, I have Torque, Hulu, Netflix and Google Maps, they all work great, I downloaded the maps for Google for my area and it works ok (it takes 5 to 7 minutes to start if there is no internet). But the DVD, USB Video and Audio works great... Could not connect the TV... Back Camera works ok too...
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2016, 01:27 AM   #10
scorpiusx
Rep

Fully agree with you the audio and video playback works great. Unfortunately, I did not get the DVD, so I cannot comment on that. Overall, a useful and functional device though with some obvious flaws.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2016, 10:17 AM   #11
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep

Yes the 20 second loading time is a killer!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #12
xl3vax
Rep
Drives: 428i BMW

GPS antenna

Hi, I bought the same kit for my F32 428i.
I have a couple of questions...

did you also receive 2 power cables? I have 2 and I don't know which one to use?

Where did you install the GPS antenna?
thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 01:21 AM   #13
scorpiusx
Rep

Yes, there are two power cables. Both can be used. However, I had some intermittent sound problems and eventually settled on the one with the 3.5mm audio jack.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 01:45 PM   #14
xl3vax
Rep

oh ok, where did you plug the 3.5mm jack? In the armrest? if so, you had to dismount also the down console...
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 08:19 AM   #15
scorpiusx
Rep

Yes, I plugged it into the console. I removed the iDrive controller trim to route the cable to the console.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2016, 03:24 PM   #16
xl3vax
Rep

I was able to find some time to install it. I see the list of "more apps" is different than yours. How did you edit the list? also how did you install the apps? thanks!

[update]: Tommy sent me an update of the ROM and it is working now! Gmail included!

Last edited by xl3vax; 08-18-2016 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 08:27 PM   #17
scorpiusx
Rep

Oh! Can you share a screenshot of your unit? Do you have the download link for the ROM? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #18
vijaymalik20
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw f30 2016

Exclamation gps fix takes too long (up to 15min) on avin android multimedia system for f30

hi Alexis! i installed avin android in my bmw f30 2016 a week back along with backup camera . no dvd no tv tuner. everything is working as desired but there is a problem with gps fix. i use google maps for navigation. avin takes a long time (up to 15 minutes) to get a gps fix. even after getting a gps fix it is intermittent. avin keeps losing gps fix. i rooted avin and installed GPS test app. when i open gps test app it shows "no fix" message but at the same time atleast 8-10 satellites are in view however only 1-2 satellites show green signal strength and rest 8 satellites show yellow or amber signal strength. i also downloaded AGPS data using this app but it was of no help. i have installed my gps antenna right behind the new avin android screen on the dashboard facing upwards. please advise how to get faster gps fix on avin. i am using a 4g wifi mobile router for internet access.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 10:03 AM   #19
alexis2400
BMW 228I
Puerto Rico
Rep

Yes, my gps take time to work

Yes just like yours mine takes from 5 to 10 minutes to work, I put the antenna inside the console... where do you put the antenna? I use Sygic for navigation, like it a lot more than google maps... it looks a lot better too...
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2017, 09:18 PM   #20
vitinvictor1
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

Quote:
Yes just like yours mine takes from 5 to 10 minutes to work, I put the antenna inside the console... where do you put the antenna? I use Sygic for navigation, like it a lot more than google maps... it looks a lot better too...
Saludos alexis! Soy de PR y acabo de pedir uno de estos, quisiera hacerte algunas preguntas, podrias textearme? 787-944-3037
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
vitinvictor1
Rep
Drives: BMW F82

I cannot succes in connect it to the wifi mode in toraue app, can you help me or teach me how you do it?

Quote:
Hi everyone... I recently bought a 228i 2016 (which i could bought a 235 but out of my range, here in PR they start at $56000 mine was $42780 out the door) with the only option was xenon headlights...

I didn't like the 6.5 screen and was looking for options, after some exploring I ordered the Avin system from Thomas, the item was sent by dhl directly from china, I ordered with the rear camera, dvd player, tv player and maps...

Now for the good, the bad and the ugly...

The good: the system has a beautiful hd 8.8 screen (if it is hd it looks hd the youtube videos, hulu, netflix and dvd), it plays usb mp3 and mp4 videos perfectly (my car did not come with the enhanced usb but you could play music with the logos with the usb in the arm compartment), I have torque app in it connected by wifi and works great just have to change the backgroung for it to look better but I erased the background I was using and put the one you see that I do not like (bought also bluetooth but I could not get it to work maybe if I spent more time on it it would work (tried it for about 20 minutes of course with a bluetooth obd), the google maps app works great the settings have to be changed to the wifi from the phone, then it works as hulu and netflix and looks great. The dvd works great, the movie did not look great because it not an original copy... The tel bluethooth I have not tried because even if you are in the android part if a call comes in it works with the car bluetooth... I like the system most of the time I use the torque app with mp3 music in the backround. It comes ready to attach a rear camera, you put it on reverse and it pups up, tested and worked great, now I just have to drill the trunk and will wise a wireless camera. Touchscreen only works in the android side.

The bad... it always loads (about 30 seconds) when you start the car if you were using the android side it starts with android, if you were using the car side it starts with the car side, in the car side the screen looks good but not great because it is larger (I think I can change that with programming the car like when you change the screen but it is a new car, I bought the cable but not comfortable doing it even after all thet I have read). In the car side it has a speedometer in km and it is made for the 320, 328 because it shows 2 backdoors open, here we use miles per hour and the 228 is 2 doors (it came for the back with the 328 and you take it out and also comes with the back for the 228 so it fits flush, sorry this is good). Now the android side, the tv does not have a place in the main box to connect it, so it does not work, it says you do not need wifi to use if you buy the maps, the maps are fron Sygic (used it before it is great on the phone) I load them but then it says it needs to download a part from the google playstore but when it tries it says that the device is not compatible with that app, I know that maybe if I spent half a day I could get it to work but have not have time to do that.

The ugly... If you are using the android side you can not use the radio, you can only use the mp3 connected by usb device in the glovebox, so if you use torque app or google map app you can only listen to that. The android system is not the easiest to use and it takes time for you to get used to it. The rear camera was for maybe another BMW, had to buy a wireless one from ebay.

I will be glad to answer any questions...

Thanks
Alexis
San Juan, PR
Appreciate 0