THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics rear camera malfunction; new backup camera on order

05-29-2016, 10:10 AM   #1
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i xdrive

rear camera malfunction; new backup camera on order

In recent weeks, my 7-month-old M235's backup camera was intermittently not working. It would either show a black screen or show the image but then cut out to black (after some green flickering, akin to say changing the video input on your TV). Other times it would work with no problems. A few times, the error message "rear camera malfunction" appeared in the dash. Searching online, i found a few causes: loose wiring to the camera or the camera may go out of calibration.

The dealership says they're replacing the whole camera unit and the part is on order so I'll have to bring my car back after it arrives. Has anyone else experienced this issue with his/her BMW? What may have been the cause? I will say that I open my trunk 4-5 times daily (it's a coupe after all and i keep my bags back there)--could the shock/vibration from cause such errors? And if that were the case, it would seem overly fragile to not handle such stress.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I open my trunk 5 or more times a day and really need to shut it hard to get the latch to hold. I'm coming up on two years ownership in August and my camera hadn't broken.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

my 340 had the same problem, ordered the parts, and dealership started the repair to notice the camera e-connector was not fully latched
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2016, 02:21 PM   #4
jeanson
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 xDrive28i

I had a camera malfunction a year ago, dealer fixed it and haven't had any issues since.

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #5
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I open my trunk 5 or more times a day and really need to shut it hard to get the latch to hold.
You might want to have the dealer adjust the trunk latch. On the limited number of new BMWs I've seen the trunk lid will fall and latch by its own weight once the lid gets down to the last 2-3 inches. On my two cars I just push the lid down to the last couple of inches and walk away.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
You might want to have the dealer adjust the trunk latch. On the limited number of new BMWs I've seen the trunk lid will fall and latch by its own weight once the lid gets down to the last 2-3 inches. On my two cars I just push the lid down to the last couple of inches and walk away.
I know - it closes and latches when dropped from 3-inches but the iDrive will say trunk not closed. Then when I slam it, not to hard a slam, everything is fine.
So afraid they'll scratch up something I haven't taken it in.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:15 PM   #7
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just an update on my issue as I was away. I finally brought my car back to the dealer and the camera module was replaced and calibrated. Things seemed fine when I reversing the car as i left the dealership, but as I indicated earlier, the camera at times worked before as well. The next day, parking at work, I got another camera malfunction error and the video cut out to black or froze on a frame to display a static image or i got that TV "snow" before it cut out to black.

Of course, I returned to the dealer, which is where the car is now. Today, techs tried to see if the problem was software related and tried to do a reset (I thought it was unlikely to solve the problem). And as I thought, that did not solve the problem. Now, the camera control module is on order (part 66539393953) and the wiring cable would have been ordered as well if not for the fact that the part is currently not available as the factory in Germany that makes the part is currently shutdown through later in June. Hopefully, the module replacement will solve the problem, otherwise i'll have to bring it back to have the cable replaced too (once the part arrives of course)

A little frustrating to deal with this issue but I use the backup camera all the time as I tend to back into parking spots. I also find it funny/ironic that I'm dealing with this issue just a few weeks after I completed a JD Powers survey in which i gave pretty stellar scores all around

Last edited by vexingv; 06-14-2016 at 06:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #8
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanson View Post
I had a camera malfunction a year ago, dealer fixed it and haven't had any issues since.

what exactly did they fix/replace on your car?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #9
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

bump for latest update in this debacle:
The camera control unit (part # 66539393953) was replaced and idrive programmed etc, then tested. at first when i spoke to my SA, things seemed fine. but after some more testing, i got an email saying there was still an error.

they're now going to have to replace the cable as well. and as mentioned earlier, it's not currently available until later in June
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
siwo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i RWD 6MT

Garage List
That sucks! When you say you got an Email saying that there was still an error does that mean that the dealer still has your car and you were given a loaner? Or did you end up going back to get your car and is now reunited and just waiting for the part again. In any case, that sucks! Backing up the car so often but not able to have the camera is painful! Hope you get this resolved soon!
2004 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
1993 Civic Coupe Si(EX) 5MT - Retired
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #11
jeanson
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 xDrive28i

I can't recall what was done exactly but I do know that the camera module and wiring was replaced. I haven't had any issues since the fix though, hope you get yours sorted out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #12
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siwo View Post
That sucks! When you say you got an Email saying that there was still an error does that mean that the dealer still has your car and you were given a loaner? Or did you end up going back to get your car and is now reunited and just waiting for the part again. In any case, that sucks! Backing up the car so often but not able to have the camera is painful! Hope you get this resolved soon!
the dealer would have replaced both the camera control module and the wiring harness at the same time, but only the control module was installed as the wiring harness cannot currently be ordered (SA told me that the German factory manufacturing the harness is closed for production until later in the month after which they can try to order the part). as the problem is intermittent, when the techs first tested backing up, it seemed fine. i got a call that it was complete and could be picked up with the understanding that if the problem persisted i should come back and the wiring harness could be replaced at that. during the interim, before i went back to pick up my car yesterday, they must have tested again or notice the error as i then got an emailed me informing me of such. so now i know for sure that i'll have to return for the wiring harness installation.

i had a 328i loaner for a few days (what a difference it was getting back into my m235!), but took my car back this afternoon as i'd have to wait a few weeks for the part to arrive. i'll come back when it's available. so in total it'll be 4 visits to the dealership over the course of a month to fix this issue. i just wished they had replaced everything at once the first time instead of only changing the camera module first.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2016, 11:36 PM   #13
vexingv
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanson View Post
I can't recall what was done exactly but I do know that the camera module and wiring was replaced. I haven't had any issues since the fix though, hope you get yours sorted out.
by camera module, do you mean the camera itself or the camera control module?

at this point, i've had both replaced, except for the wiring harness.
Appreciate 0