THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW M2 Discussions More BMW M2 Prototypes Spotted. Testing Tire Sizes and Quad Exhaust

08-15-2014, 09:40 AM   #89
DVC
Captain

Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
I don't understand this fetish with carbon fiber driveshafts. You guys do understand that regardless of the weight benefits they are absolutely ridiculously expensive to replace, right? If they are ever nicked during maintenance they will fracture at some point down the road. Good luck getting BMW or your indy shop to pay for that.

Just give me a standard steel or aluminum driveshaft and keep the exotic materials.
Good point... I don't really care about the carbon driveshaft, but it will be very disappointing if BMW skips the CF roof; this is the place to shed weight, and this car (more than any other in their lineup) is the one to focus on weight.
      08-15-2014, 11:25 AM   #90
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 1M Coupe - SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwvcfii View Post
I don't understand this fetish with carbon fiber driveshafts. You guys do understand that regardless of the weight benefits they are absolutely ridiculously expensive to replace, right? If they are ever nicked during maintenance they will fracture at some point down the road. Good luck getting BMW or your indy shop to pay for that.

Just give me a standard steel or aluminum driveshaft and keep the exotic materials.
I also don't get the fetish either. People ask for super expensive exotic roof and shaft but then Bloat the cars with every lux option out there. What made the 1M a success was "keep it simple" Less is more. If you don't put all the fluff on it, you will save almost as much weight and have a more rare, focused and special car. The M2 needs to be accessible to the masses and cheaper to maintain down the road. It's really nuts to see people buy carbon bits then putting executive packages, power motorized mirrrors, seats, and all that stuff.

Keep it simple. If you really want lightweight and honestly care about performance, stop ordering BLoaded cars!

Now, some just like the look or cache that comes from CF. In that case, sorry. There are plenty of parts and wraps to get the look. BMW needs a club racer and this is the last hope!
nachob is offline   United_States
      08-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #91
bernstem
Private First Class

Drives: m235

Use of lightweight parts will reduce the weight of a loaded car as well as a stripped car. I don't understand the argument that only a stripped car deserves weight reducing parts. If I want a fully loaded M2, I would still like to have it weight 200 lbs less than it would without the CF bits, even if it still weighs 100 lbs less than a stripped car. When all is said and done, 3300 lbs is still better than 3500 even if it isn't as good as 3200.

edit: spelling

Last edited by bernstem; 08-15-2014 at 02:59 PM.
bernstem is offline   United_States
      08-15-2014, 02:40 PM   #92
sdpauly
Private First Class

Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

3200 isn't bad if that's where the weight finally ends up. I would also like to see the lightweight bits added as options. CF roof, CF drive shaft, yes and yes. Carbon brakes, maybe, but it would be nice to see the option there...

Also, put me firmly in the camp of "I don't care if the M2 costs more than an M4" If it's faster, it should. Not looking for an M4 on the cheap, looking for the performance of an M4 (or better) in a smaller package.
      08-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #93
w3rkn
Banned

Drives: BMW 135is

The M2 is all about ability & weight. BMW M have other cars that handle the saloon territory. CF roof is a must for the M2, otherwise just get a 2-series.
      08-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #94
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I can't wait to get up close and personal with one. It's going to look great. I hope those mule wheels make it to production, they look awesome on it.
Denk is offline   United_States
      08-15-2014, 10:01 PM   #95
Vintage
Colonel

Drives: 2010 Z4 35i and 2014 535d x

and I want mine in signal green . . . .
Vintage is offline   United_States
      08-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #96
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
The 1M is Scarlet Johansen, M2 is Gwyneth Paltrow. Two different tastes but both nice. Wish I was Iron Man! : )
Such a great line!
Lol. Awesome
      08-16-2014, 07:42 PM   #97
M3 Adjuster
Brigadier General

Drives: 1988 M3 gone .. 1M HERE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I apologize for being so petty but if the engine doesn't get an "S" code, I don't want the M car. The 1M is the ONLY exception to that hard and fast rule. Let's see if they can catch lightning in a bottle twice. I will wait and see. The car looks to be great regardless of engine so I will wait for some comparos/reviews.
High standards from a person with a Toyota.

Guess you must have had your nose in the air and missed out on the 1M, so then you went and bought the " next best thing". At least you contradicted yourself by the end of your paragraph and decided to wait for comparos..
Hey genius, I've owned other cars. The GT-86 is just one more in a long line of 24 years worth. A damn good one too. If you'd even bother to read my signature or go into my garage on this forum you'd see I've owned 2 BMW's and the most recent was a 2011 M3 I owned for 3 years and ordered new. Try going in my garage next time before attempting to disparage LMAO. The only contradiction here is you because if you knew anything about cars you'd truly know I currently own the most critically acclaimed car in recent years. Yes, indeed it's a "Toyota", now whose nose is in the air...
I see you missed my earlier post stating that an M2 with a reworked N54 would be doable. I'm surprised a 1M owner like yourself would have missed that. Oh well, at least one of us does proper research.
In summary I didn't need a 1M when I HAD an M3...you may remove your foot from mouth.
Didn't research you and didn't have time to care. Sorry. Posting from my phone bro!

Your followup post does indeed make me appear to be a genius. If you can say that the ft-86 is an awesome car then what the hell does lacking an S motor designation in a BMW have to do with making a car good or bad ? It doesn't. Period.

I've owned an M car with an S14 ( so of course I am also familiar and was interested in the ft86 and yes it's a great car, an outstanding car in its pricepoint) and I have owned an M car that doesn't have an S motor. Heck the E36 didn't have a "true " S Motor in the US. Still a fantastic car.

I just don't understand the Internet forum practice of making declarative statements about something that doesn't even exist yet.
      08-16-2014, 10:16 PM   #98
pikcachu
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Looks like it needs some spacers in the front
      08-17-2014, 06:29 AM   #99
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST

Drives: 2014 Toyota GT-86

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate View Post
I apologize for being so petty but if the engine doesn't get an "S" code, I don't want the M car. The 1M is the ONLY exception to that hard and fast rule. Let's see if they can catch lightning in a bottle twice. I will wait and see. The car looks to be great regardless of engine so I will wait for some comparos/reviews.
High standards from a person with a Toyota.

Guess you must have had your nose in the air and missed out on the 1M, so then you went and bought the " next best thing". At least you contradicted yourself by the end of your paragraph and decided to wait for comparos..
Hey genius, I've owned other cars. The GT-86 is just one more in a long line of 24 years worth. A damn good one too. If you'd even bother to read my signature or go into my garage on this forum you'd see I've owned 2 BMW's and the most recent was a 2011 M3 I owned for 3 years and ordered new. Try going in my garage next time before attempting to disparage LMAO. The only contradiction here is you because if you knew anything about cars you'd truly know I currently own the most critically acclaimed car in recent years. Yes, indeed it's a "Toyota", now whose nose is in the air...
I see you missed my earlier post stating that an M2 with a reworked N54 would be doable. I'm surprised a 1M owner like yourself would have missed that. Oh well, at least one of us does proper research.
In summary I didn't need a 1M when I HAD an M3...you may remove your foot from mouth.
Didn't research you and didn't have time to care. Sorry. Posting from my phone bro!

Your followup post does indeed make me appear to be a genius. If you can say that the ft-86 is an awesome car then what the hell does lacking an S motor designation in a BMW have to do with making a car good or bad ? It doesn't. Period.

I've owned an M car with an S14 ( so of course I am also familiar and was interested in the ft86 and yes it's a great car, an outstanding car in its pricepoint) and I have owned an M car that doesn't have an S motor. Heck the E36 didn't have a "true " S Motor in the US. Still a fantastic car.

I just don't understand the Internet forum practice of making declarative statements about something that doesn't even exist yet.
Deleted...not worth my time or energy.

"what I'm driving here...is an ending." Jeremy Clarkson
2014 Whiteout Toyota GT-86 6mt(Presently enjoying WAY more than anticipated)
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
PhillyNate is offline   United_States
      08-17-2014, 05:25 PM   #100
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Such a great line!
Glad someone liked it! A picture is worth a thousand words so fired up photoshop! I really do wish I was Iron Man! : )
Attached Images

Last edited by nachob; 08-17-2014 at 09:20 PM.
      08-17-2014, 08:49 PM   #101
pikcachu
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

threesome
      08-18-2014, 05:57 AM   #102
jaffa12
Major

Drives: 1M, M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Glad someone liked it! A picture is worth a thousand words so fired up photoshop! I really do wish I was Iron Man! : )
Nice
      08-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #103
Advevo
Captain

Drives: White 1M

I just test drove an M235i. There needs to be a lot of tweaking on that car if i trade in my 1M coupe for an M2.

M235i feels a lot bigger than my 1M. The car is hanging on it s side mirrors in corners. Looking thru the front screen the hood looks massive and gives you the feel you drive a very big car.

The engine of the M235i is better than the 1M engine. It s much more linear thru 7000 revs and feels almost like an atmo engine.

If they make an M2 out off M235i there needs to be some work done by the M engineers to get a better car then an 1M coupe.

Let s wait and see.
      08-18-2014, 11:05 AM   #104
BimmerEngineer
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008/2011 135 & E9x M3

Guys, these are not quad exhausts. They're dual mufflers with twin tips per muff. It's dual exhaust. Get it right or don't say it.

Lastly, the M2 better have at least 385hp because it is nearly as heavy as the old M3 and that car barely did 0-60 mph in. 4.4 sec with 414 hp. Carry over the 235's AWD and it'll be a mid 4 sec machine for sure. We tested a few 235's in the desert in Palm springs at a elevation of 115' with cool 62* air and low DA. We were a little disappointed with our 5.1 sec runs but then recalled that the 235 is nearly 100 lbs more than the 135 was. This typical of what most drivers in low elevations in cool air climates with low humidity will see. Low elevation-high humidity warmer temps >> (above 80*),will see performance suffer. As for high altitude and hot desert climates, I would not even waste the $$ on a performance car in these climes, or in hot humid places like from S. Carolina all the way around south coast to Texas, way to hot and humid.
BimmerEngineer is offline   United_States
      08-18-2014, 11:17 AM   #105
SCOTT26
Brigadier General

Drives: Frozen Dark Silver 30 Jahre

08-18-2014, 11:26 AM   #106
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advevo View Post
I just test drove an M235i. There needs to be a lot of tweaking on that car if i trade in my 1M coupe for an M2.

M235i feels a lot bigger than my 1M. The car is hanging on it s side mirrors in corners. Looking thru the front screen the hood looks massive and gives you the feel you drive a very big car.

The engine of the M235i is better than the 1M engine. It s much more linear thru 7000 revs and feels almost like an atmo engine.

If they make an M2 out off M235i there needs to be some work done by the M engineers to get a better car then an 1M coupe.

Let s wait and see.
Same exact thing for me!!! That's why I held off M235i. Exactly that!
      08-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #107
nachob
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerEngineer View Post
Guys, these are not quad exhausts. They're dual mufflers with twin tips per muff. It's dual exhaust. Get it right or don't say it.

Lastly, the M2 better have at least 385hp because it is nearly as heavy as the old M3 and that car barely did 0-60 mph in. 4.4 sec with 414 hp. Carry over the 235's AWD and it'll be a mid 4 sec machine for sure. We tested a few 235's in the desert in Palm springs at a elevation of 115' with cool 62* air and low DA. We were a little disappointed with our 5.1 sec runs but then recalled that the 235 is nearly 100 lbs more than the 135 was. This typical of what most drivers in low elevations in cool air climates with low humidity will see. Low elevation-high humidity warmer temps >> (above 80*),will see performance suffer. As for high altitude and hot desert climates, I would not even waste the $$ on a performance car in these climes, or in hot humid places like from S. Carolina all the way around south coast to Texas, way to hot and humid.
I totally understand what you are saying but again the emphasis is still more power and everyone they have just accepted that the cars will get heavier. BMW needs to drop the weight and fluff. Yes you can add more power to compensate for the weight and you will get the same or faster 0-60 but handling, feel and braking deteriorates! They have 5000 lb SUVs that get great 0-60 times. We need to stop bandaid-ing bloat with more power. Stop putting so much crap and build a focused hard core model that is truly lighter weight and it will go great with 350hp. or even 320hp! If you took the stock M235i motor and put some real sound on it but took 400 lbs off the car, it would be a monster at 3100-3200 lbs! That's my 2 cents!
      08-18-2014, 11:31 AM   #108
BimmerEngineer
Second Lieutenant

M3 adjuster, don't say your sorry, there's nothing to be sorry about ...

Indeed, philienate is slightly lost. Just a few short blurbs: No BMW after 2004 is really a quality BMW or considered the "Ultimate Driving Machine" anymore, but rather the (ultimate computer controlled machine).... Toyota has not had a good car since the Supra and today's FR-S/BR-Z I would not be caught dead in one (if your over 30 yrs old), they're kiddy cars for pimple faced kids. Car&Driver TV said it was a great first car for the 16 yr old, lol.... 0-60 in mid 7 sec, out handled and out accelerated by a Ford Fiesta ST, cute and slightly fun sure, to those kids or folks that have never driven anything with over 150 hp...

As for BMW today, the 235 needs to lose all thse rediculious M-badges, all 17 of them, save for a few that are typical on the M package cars. Why? Because its a 235i with the M-package & suspension, just like a 135 or 135is... My neighbor even threw out most of those poser badges on his. Sadly, the car doesn't have the DCT 7 spd that the 135 had in 2011. I've seen more bmw's with tranny problems with this new 8spd auto. And BMW is STILL using cheap, yes CHEAP Siemens fuel systems/high pressure fuel pumps. Way off track but so what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post

08-18-2014, 11:46 AM   #109
BimmerEngineer
Second Lieutenant

As for the new M2 or any new BMW, a lot of optional equipment needs to be standard by now, it's 2014 not 1980.... $16,000-$17,000 cars have back up cameras, Navi, advanced bluetooth technology and power driver seat standard, so get with the program BMW because the 3 initials are still a bad acronym, hence (big waste of money).

The M2 needs a few things: 1). Less weight. Under 3400 lbs) and 2). Priced between the 235 and M3 >> under $57K, since M2 will be regular higher volume production unlike the 1M.. I also don't know why BMW is going so SOFT on all its performance models, literally BMW is last in all the comparo's in the magazines anymore. The performance models are too luxury or limo-like, poor handling, no road feel (hence ultimate computer controled machine), they're bland and uncommunicative to me and many others that use to enjoy a REAL BMW, not these watered down cars of today. Bmw's are getting FAT and heavy too. Even Randy Pobst says he's shocked at how far back in time BMW has fallen off the ladder, how unpleasant it is to drive a performance model BMW. He said they all drive like a 760Li limo. Numb, user-unfriendly, etc. I have to agree. I'd take a 135is over a M235 any day for handling and acceleration with the 6 spd stick or 7 spd DCT.
      08-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #110
Bennu
Colonel

Drives: BMW Coupe

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
They should really make this car something special. Something different from all the others. It's been said since the 1M they have moved away from their roots, this car can be the car that brings back the fun, light, and enthusiastic M cars like the E36 Euro Spec M3 and E46 M3 was.
They did a great job with the 1M an ever better job with M235i (LSD equipped), now they need to bring it home with the M2.

Bennu is offline   United_States