THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum TBA (Throttle Body Adaptation) reset???

08-07-2014, 01:03 PM   #1
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

All -

I'm really curious if there's any truth to the TBA (Throttle Body Adaptation) reset (as a potential solution to throttle lag).

I've read through a ton of threads on this for older models, but was curious if this was applicable for the new 2er. The procedure goes like this:

- Put the power on but do not start the engine.
- Floor the throttle for 30-60 seconds
- Keep the throttle to the floor and put the power OFF
- Release the throttle and wait 2 minutes.

During the 2 minutes you should feel or hear some kind of mechanical sound. That should tell you the reset is complete.

Anyone have thoughts on this? True vs. placebo? Does it work on the newer models? Thanks all.

B.
Appreciate 1
amw896582.50
      08-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Its resetting the computer on you driving (throttle) habit/style...so its true
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
bman6074
Major
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i and 07 Lotus Exige S

Is this really true?? I had wondered if it was me or the car. I noticed when making quick shifts when i got back on the gas it just doesn't seem like it keeps up with me. There is a delay in getting power.
      08-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #4
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i
Its resetting the computer on you driving (throttle) habit/style...so its true
can you confirm the steps are still applicable for the 228? any other confirmation you've done this correctly outside of the vague "sounds" you're supposed to hear?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:10 PM   #5
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

I find it interesting but I have not noticed throttle lag. It what situations is it apparent on the 228i? The throttle lag on my rental MB c250 is terrible, nothing like the immediate smooth response on my 228i.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:39 PM   #6
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Just go to your car..hit the start button without the brakes (not starting the engine), then step on the gas pedal all the way down for 10-15 seconds. Release the gas and start the car...throttle is now reset

Now does resetting the throttle give you a better 0-60 times and add more HP....hell no! You're just having a blank throttle memory/default
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #7
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i
Just go to your car..hit the start button without the brakes (not starting the engine), then step on the gas pedal all the way down for 10-15 seconds. Release the gas and start the car...throttle is now reset

Now does resetting the throttle give you a better 0-60 times and add more HP....hell no! You're just having a blank throttle memory/default
ok. just tried it.

believe me, I'm a total hater on people who fall for the placebo effect...but I'm telling you, something good happened to my throttle response after just doing this.

Comfort mode now feels like it used to. can get a neck snap on WOT with it whereas I could only do that in sports mode after a month or so with the car.

I don't want to spread bad information in the forum, especially since I have no way of proving that I actually reset it. But I'm telling you it feels snappier.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 01:02 AM   #8
Daddycat
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue 228i M

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I find it interesting but I have not noticed throttle lag. It what situations is it apparent on the 228i? The throttle lag on my rental MB c250 is terrible, nothing like the immediate smooth response on my 228i.
Turbine-like response!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
m1cism
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
ok. just tried it.

believe me, I'm a total hater on people who fall for the placebo effect...but I'm telling you, something good happened to my throttle response after just doing this.

Comfort mode now feels like it used to. can get a neck snap on WOT with it whereas I could only do that in sports mode after a month or so with the car.

I don't want to spread bad information in the forum, especially since I have no way of proving that I actually reset it. But I'm telling you it feels snappier.
The car might not be faster, but it may feel different.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 12:10 PM   #10
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

If you drive like a grandma, the car will adapt and the throttle will over time become less sensitive. Drive spiritedly, and the throttle will be more sensitive. That's generally how these systems work. good to know about the reset procedure.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #11
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

This DOES work on my 135i. I have done it with noticeable result (no placebo). Although I was told to hold it for more like 30-60 seconds (I overkilled with over two minutes just to be sure).

Can't say if it works on the 235 ECU, but the concept is not a myth or placebo on the applicable models (which are probably most of them).
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #12
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

thanks for your note - good to know i'm not imagining things, though it doesn't seem like this is confirmed for the 2er yet. I'll check with my CA to see if it's confirmed, but the car definitely feels different. I have been babying it a bit, and tend to drive in a lot of traffic, so it's quite possible mine has "granny" like settings.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2014, 06:18 PM   #13
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k
This DOES work on my 135i. I have done it with noticeable result (no placebo). Although I was told to hold it for more like 30-60 seconds (I overkilled with over two minutes just to be sure).

Can't say if it works on the 235 ECU, but the concept is not a myth or placebo on the applicable models (which are probably most of them).
because you've done this before with a noticeable result, how do you feel the car drives once you do it? do you feel like the car pulls harder (that's what I felt) or simply that the throttle is more responsive?

or ultimately, is this simply updating where the throttle senses WOT/flooring it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:31 AM   #14
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

I did this over weekend and totally agree it feels way better. Way more responsive!! I'm sure mine is because I was of course taking it very easy during break-in period and not pushing it at all, therefore that's what style it remembered.
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #15
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

When you guys were talking about obvious changes of throttle response after the TBA reset, are you talking about in Comfort mode or in Sport/Sport+ modes too?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
lichenlt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
ok. just tried it.

Did you follow the steps in your OP by pressing down the gas pedal for 30-60s then turn the power off with the gas pedal being depressed?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:37 PM   #17
Jimmer
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i with MPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i View Post

I followed these steps but held gas down for almost 1min.

I only drove in sport mode after.
Gone but not forgotten: 2008 E92 M3; Eisenmann Race Exhaust / Dinan 3.62 Limited Slip Differential / Dinan Software / Dinan High-Flow Intake / Dinan Camber Plates / Dinan Lowering Springs / Dinan Sway-Bars
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 12:41 PM   #18
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lichenlt
Quote:
ok. just tried it.

Did you follow the steps in your OP by pressing down the gas pedal for 30-60s then turn the power off with the gas pedal being depressed?
I turned the power off with my foot still down on the gas, but not sure if it matters.

I've felt the difference in comfort and sports modes.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #19
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
All -

- Floor the throttle for 30-60 seconds

B.
Does this mean to floor activating kickdown or not?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #20
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
because you've done this before with a noticeable result, how do you feel the car drives once you do it? do you feel like the car pulls harder (that's what I felt) or simply that the throttle is more responsive?

or ultimately, is this simply updating where the throttle senses WOT/flooring it?
The main thing I noticed (and the reason I did it in the first place) is throttle response. Like blipping the throttle for rev matching. Just sitting in neutral and tapping it - it wasn't responding like I thought it should before. It felt like turbo lag was excessive compared to what I had gotten to know from the car early on. So I did the reset, and...instant improvement exactly where I was looking for it.

I don't know if it pulled harder, but it felt like it was quicker to start pulling hard once I got on the throttle - like it used to be.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #21
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Does this mean to floor activating kickdown or not?
not sure i know what that means and can't totally speak to this since i didn't write those initial instructions, but i definitely floored it all the way and pressed somewhat hard in case there was any doubt it wasn't on the floor :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:28 PM   #22
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
The main thing I noticed (and the reason I did it in the first place) is throttle response. Like blipping the throttle for rev matching. Just sitting in neutral and tapping it - it wasn't responding like I thought it should before. It felt like turbo lag was excessive compared to what I had gotten to know from the car early on. So I did the reset, and...instant improvement exactly where I was looking for it.

I don't know if it pulled harder, but it felt like it was quicker to start pulling hard once I got on the throttle - like it used to be.
ditto. exactly what happened with me.
Appreciate 0