THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2014 228i Drive Train Malfunction

04-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #1
1Mike1
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

2014 228i Drive Train Malfunction

A few days short of being a whole year old, and on my way home (about 2~ hours into the drive) cruising down about 65~ when all of a sudden I feel the acceleration just "stop" and hear the now fear inducing little "ding."

I thought it was just a flat tire or something, oh how I wish it was... as quick as I got a chance to react, I look at it and see "Drive Train Malfunction". And I see the car's been thrown into Neutral while im on the interstate. Thanks BMW. I pull off to the side and now im very thankful I put enough distance because after I turned my car off in hopes that it would turn on and all would be resolved, nope.

I press the button, engine starts cranking... and it's cranking... and it's not turning over... and then it's rumbling... anddd it's off. Ok.. weird. Let's try again. press and hold the button, foot on the break... cranking... cranking.. oh wait it sounds like it's going to turn over.... it does?... rumble... rumble harder.. shake.. and dead.

Running off battery power, I try checking any information the car has for me, nothing. "All systems OK" I opened the hood, gave it a quick glance, belt looked fine, nothing seemed out of place, no extra heat or smoke, nothing seemed odd about under the engine, the car had 3/4ths of a tank of gas before I left, I filled it myself from half. Googled the issue, did some research, tried waiting 15-30 mins.. crank.. crank.. its alive?... drive..? ...rumble.. rumble.. shake.. die. Dead 40 miles outside of a town, 120 miles outside of my destination.

$250 towing bill that I had to pay instead of BMW because they can't actually tow me off the interstate.. And when we finally got to the BMW location, we almost could not get the car to get back into neutral because the engine has to be on and eventually it wouldn't even do that.

Now my car won't even be looked at until tomorrow morning 4/5 because of Easter, there was no rain or precipitation, car literally had it's 7-8k mile inspection a month or two ago, and the weather was about 40~34 F.
I'm just insanely disappointed this happened on a 340~ day old car, with less than 9k miles on it. It was my baby and now my spring break is ruined too.

tl;dr engine failure on a car with 9k miles, and less than a year old.

Last edited by 1Mike1; 04-05-2015 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: just engine failure, no total.
Appreciate 1
      04-05-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Highly unlikely it is a "total engine failure". Some sort of computer/electrical issue is much more likely. This is why new cars come with warranties. Sucks, but sheisse happens. Presumably BMW will reimburse you for the tow, and provide you with a loaner while they sort it out.

Better now than at 50001 miles.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
1Mike1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by krhodes1 View Post
Highly unlikely it is a "total engine failure". Some sort of computer/electrical issue is much more likely. This is why new cars come with warranties. Sucks, but sheisse happens. Presumably BMW will reimburse you for the tow, and provide you with a loaner while they sort it out.

Better now than at 50001 miles.
I hope so, still a really unfortunate happenstance.
I'm just hoping I can get a loaner since the service center I had it towed too is not the one I actually live near but I had no other option.

You're right though, not total engine failure, but still a pretty big fail.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mike1
A few days short of being a whole year old, and on my way home (about 2~ hours into the drive) cruising down about 65~ when all of a sudden I feel the acceleration just "stop" and hear the now fear inducing little "ding."

I thought it was just a flat tire or something, oh how I wish it was... as quick as I got a chance to react, I look at it and see "Drive Train Malfunction". And I see the car's been thrown into Neutral while im on the interstate. Thanks BMW. I pull off to the side and now im very thankful I put enough distance because after I turned my car off in hopes that it would turn on and all would be resolved, nope.

I press the button, engine starts cranking... and it's cranking... and it's not turning over... and then it's rumbling... anddd it's off. Ok.. weird. Let's try again. press and hold the button, foot on the break... cranking... cranking.. oh wait it sounds like it's going to turn over.... it does?... rumble... rumble harder.. shake.. and dead.

Running off battery power, I try checking any information the car has for me, nothing. "All systems OK" I opened the hood, gave it a quick glance, belt looked fine, nothing seemed out of place, no extra heat or smoke, nothing seemed odd about under the engine, the car had 3/4ths of a tank of gas before I left, I filled it myself from half. Googled the issue, did some research, tried waiting 15-30 mins.. crank.. crank.. its alive?... drive..? ...rumble.. rumble.. shake.. die. Dead 40 miles outside of a town, 120 miles outside of my destination.

$250 towing bill that I had to pay instead of BMW because they can't actually tow me off the interstate.. And when we finally got to the BMW location, we almost could not get the car to get back into neutral because the engine has to be on and eventually it wouldn't even do that.

Now my car won't even be looked at until tomorrow morning 4/5 because of Easter, there was no rain or precipitation, car literally had it's 7-8k mile inspection a month or two ago, and the weather was about 40~34 F.
I'm just insanely disappointed this happened on a 340~ day old car, with less than 9k miles on it. It was my baby and now my spring break is ruined too.

tl;dr engine failure on a car with 9k miles, and less than a year old.
Wow I feel for you. Have this fear everyday after reading up on the 3 series forums.

Keep us updated to what it is and if it was even preventable.

Good luck
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Wow I feel for you. Have this fear everyday after reading up on the 3 series forums.

Good luck
What does that mean..reading on the 3 series forums. I've poked around in that forum for n20 issues and haven't found much.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2015, 10:38 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2msport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post

Good luck
What does that mean..reading on the 3 series forums. I've poked around in that forum for n20 issues and haven't found much.
Well I dont know how you define "poking" but... There are multiple threads, like 5-6 between the N20 specific forum and the F30 General about the N20.... That's what that means. They exist...?

Much much more have been deleted because no one wants the dealer to find out you have been tuned.

I would link to each and every thread, but honestly don't have time. Even one is more than enough to make me second guess myself. I still take the risk tho.... Try looking a little deeper, "tickling" the 3 series forum maybe? Haha I kid. I was heavy in those forums before switching from the F30 to the F22.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 12:47 AM   #7
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
There were a bunch of HPFP replacements....is that what you are referring to? If that is the common denominator, wonder if there is a "beefier" fuel pump you can install vs. it being something that is integral to the design of the drivetrain...
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 01:13 AM   #8
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
hmm...whatsabout this?

http://www.import-car.com/bmw-fuel-s...ir-essentials/
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep
There were a bunch of HPFP replacements....is that what you are referring to? If that is the common denominator, wonder if there is a "beefier" fuel pump you can install vs. it being something that is integral to the design of the drivetrain...
And there was some blown oils pumps, oil pans, melted piston, ball bearing something causing something else.... It doesn't seem to be one thing, but some things are more common than others like the HPFP
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 08:35 AM   #10
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep
Interesting....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mike1 View Post

[...]

$250 towing bill that I had to pay instead of BMW because they can't actually tow me off the interstate..

[...]
Not to detract from your other troubles, but can you elaborate on that? Are we talking BMW's roadside assistance? It seems like roadside assistance that won't tow from interstates is not that useful.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:23 PM   #12
1Mike1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacampbe View Post
Not to detract from your other troubles, but can you elaborate on that? Are we talking BMW's roadside assistance? It seems like roadside assistance that won't tow from interstates is not that useful.
It's fine, still waiting to see if BMW has looked at my car yet, but what I was told is this:

Due to being on an interstate, BMW's own towing companies are not able to tow me off but I had to arrange it (with the help of BMW's roadside assistance) with the Thruway Authority and I would have to pay for the towing but if I kept the receipt I would be reimbursed.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #13
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

Quote:
It's fine, still waiting to see if BMW has looked at my car yet, but what I was told is this:

Due to being on an interstate, BMW's own towing companies are not able to tow me off but I had to arrange it (with the help of BMW's roadside assistance) with the Thruway Authority and I would have to pay for the towing but if I kept the receipt I would be reimbursed.
He had not mentioned that he was not on a garden variety interstate. On a number of toll roads here in the northeast (such as the NY State Thruway), only towing companies that have a special permit are allowed to provide towing services for hire.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #14
bacampbe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 Z4 M40i PB

Quote:

Ah, so this is a local regulatory issue, not a general issue with interstate highways. I feel better, thanks. :-)

OTOH, Texas has had quite a proliferation of toll roads. I guess I should research if we have any similar issues before I have to find out the hard way .
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2015, 06:59 PM   #15
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Ruining spring break sucks. Hopefully you can get a loaner vehicle. I mean to be honest if you have options of where you take the car for service, call in ahead and ENSURE you get a BMW loaner vehicle or you should take it elsewhere that will.
      04-06-2015, 11:31 PM   #16
1Mike1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Ruining spring break sucks. Hopefully you can get a loaner vehicle. I mean to be honest if you have options of where you take the car for service, call in ahead and ENSURE you get a BMW loaner vehicle or you should take it elsewhere that will.
It happened after 5, so all service centers were closed and with Easter the next day, no loaner. I'm home now, and my car is 60 miles away being serviced so I'm hoping my local dealership can give me a loaner while my car is worked on by the one in the next city over.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 02:31 PM   #17
1Mike1
Private
Rep

Bump/update: Car's fixed now, I just have to go pick it up. The fuel pump apparently went, which is crazy.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:07 PM   #18
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Bump/update: Car's fixed now, I just have to go pick it up. The fuel pump apparently went, which is crazy.
Not crazy, somewhat common on 1 series also. What's ironic is guys have been touting the 1 series fuel pump failures as a black eye on the 1 series.....hmmmm.

The fuel pump on my 1M went at 10K miles and it was also supposedly fixed from the earlier fuel pump models that failed. Early on, BMW blamed fuel quality but again...hmmmm yours was brand new, seems crazy that bad fuel would've killed it so quickly. Anyway, thanks for the update and glad your're on the road!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 03:19 PM   #19
Uridian
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, 228i M Sport

I had the same exact problem ~7 months and ~8600 miles in with mine.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:05 PM   #20
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
wow, your car and my car, both 228 msports, both March 2014 builds (right?), both about 9000 miles. should I be worried ?? did you get ANY kind of warning at all ?
      04-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #21
1Mike1
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccox View Post
wow, your car and my car, both 228 msports, both March 2014 builds (right?), both about 9000 miles. should I be worried ?? did you get ANY kind of warning at all ?
Yep, march 2014 build, about 9000 miles but I had no warning. I was just cruising down normally. Wasn't even being too spirited since I don't want a speeding ticket just for trying to get home a little quicker. I don't know if you should be worried but.... look at the quote below V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uridian View Post
I had the same exact problem ~7 months and ~8600 miles in with mine.
I think the mileage is the same, but odd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
Not crazy, somewhat common on 1 series also. What's ironic is guys have been touting the 1 series fuel pump failures as a black eye on the 1 series.....hmmmm.

The fuel pump on my 1M went at 10K miles and it was also supposedly fixed from the earlier fuel pump models that failed. Early on, BMW blamed fuel quality but again...hmmmm yours was brand new, seems crazy that bad fuel would've killed it so quickly. Anyway, thanks for the update and glad your're on the road!
I don't think it's bad fuel.. at least I've always put in 93 and at minimum (maybe a total of four times 91) although I know grade is not the same as quality but still, and seeing other people report their case is getting a little troubling.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2015, 04:43 PM   #22
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
is it the same Bosch fuel pump? Would be nice if there were a drop-in Japanese replacement....(in my uninformed lay opinion of c)
Appreciate 0