THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum My thoughts on the M235i at the track (with photos)

04-16-2014, 08:45 PM   #23
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
What's your opinion of the M Performance Exhaust? Worth the money? I'm considering adding it to my order.
      04-16-2014, 10:57 PM   #24
bladeomatic
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by webdither View Post
What's your opinion of the M Performance Exhaust? Worth the money? I'm considering adding it to my order.
I don't have my car yet, nor have I directly heard the exhaust. However I've done a lot of research here and other places. Most everyone who gets one really prefers the sound and tone. You probably pick up a few hp too. The YouTube clips that compare it vs stock sound way better. I've ordered mine already for install at the dealer when the car lands.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 11:47 PM   #25
Brings
Clap Trap~
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '93 NSX

Quote:
My friend that was with me at the track day has a couple clips up in this thread (http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=964310), but that's with a catless downpipe, so it won't really be an accurate portrayal of the exhaust, unfortunately (and his first mod was the downpipe too, so we both have no idea how it sounds by itself).
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2014, 11:11 AM   #26
webdither
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeomatic
Quote:
I don't have my car yet, nor have I directly heard the exhaust. However I've done a lot of research here and other places. Most everyone who gets one really prefers the sound and tone. You probably pick up a few hp too. The YouTube clips that compare it vs stock sound way better. I've ordered mine already for install at the dealer when the car lands.
It's not a port installed option? Coulda swore I saw that it was... Rather not pay dealer install fees!
      05-06-2014, 02:48 PM   #27
zsapphire7
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 M3

i got to drive that z4m for a couple laps and that was a blast . couldnt stop thinking about it for a couple of weeks and found myself looking at used market for one lol
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:44 PM   #28
IrishCoffee
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brings View Post
In Sport+, the car lets you get loose a bit more, which adds to the fun of driving it, but it definitely does a good job of keeping you in check when/if you mess up. It is more intrusive than the MDM in the E92 M3, but then again, this isn't really a true "M" car either, so I wasn't expecting much there. I couldn't find out how to completely disable the traction control systems, so there was no chance for me to play with that.
Can you elaborate on how this car feels and responds on the track to an E9X M3? It sounds like you've driven both before on a track.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 04:30 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brings
Just got back from a track day at Buttonwillow Raceway in California with another member on here (@JustinCredibleM - also owner of an M235i) and some other friends. Overall, we were both happy with the performance of the car as it was quite fun to drive on the track!

Both of our cars had the 8spd auto, which was superb considering it isn't a DCT. Very quick upshifts and just a bit slower on downshifts. Steering feel was great and very accurate - you don't lose much feel with the steering system on this car.

Both Justin and I agreed on a couple things though: The car was much too quiet and shifted too smoothly at times. There were some cases where we couldn't tell what gear we were in (the gear indicator is too small for a quick glance) because we couldn't feel or hear the car downshifting (the auto is very smooth sometimes) even with the Evolution Raceworks catless 4" downpipe, aFe intake, and BMW M Performance exhaust (on Justin's car - mine was bone stock). The gearing was really short as well, so we were always shifting gears all over the place.

Additionally, putting the car in Sport+ with the ZF8 transmission left in auto would actually do a pretty good job of keeping it in gear through the turns and put the car in a usable gear. It was only an issue in some cases where it would shift up when I didn't want it to. I also found that if you drove the car all the way up to the rev limiter or shift near the rev limit (about 100-200 RPMs), the transmission would be *extremely* slow to upshift. There is probably a 1-2 second delay from when you click the paddles to when it actually shifts when this happens, so I had to get used to shifting early, otherwise I would lose speed.

Overall, the car was fun to drive and handled great (especially with the PSS tires). It is nothing like my GT3 or GTR, but I like the M235i a lot more as it is much better at being a great all around car. I always dreaded driving to and from the track with the GT3 and GTR as ride comfort is not really a priority for those cars, but the ride in the M235i was compliant, yet it handled well enough on the track for it to be fun. Now BMW just needs to make this car with wider fenders to actually fit wider tires/wheels.

Sorry, I don't have any photos of the cars on the track. The track photographer wasn't out that day! Shame.
Thanks for the writeup. Interesting to hear that you felt the car was too quiet, and this is with the additional noise from the speakers that so many people complain about (before they have even driven a turbo car. ....)
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 05:52 PM   #30
Brings
Clap Trap~
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '93 NSX

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCoffee View Post
Can you elaborate on how this car feels and responds on the track to an E9X M3? It sounds like you've driven both before on a track.
I had an E92 M3 (ZCP) that I did take to the same track (in stock form and modded). To me, the M235i basically drives like an M3 since they are close in weight and are very balanced. The M3 had slightly better steering feel and the DCT was obviously faster at shifting (but not that much faster than the ZF8). The MDM mode on the M3 was also less intrusive than the stuff on the M235i in Sport+ mode (if I remember correctly, I've gone through quite a few different cars since I had my M3, so I might be remembering the wrong car ).

However, the M235i definitely shines where the M3 didn't in that it has a ton of low end torque, which made the slower tight corners quite fun to play around in. Then again, the M3 felt like it had a better top end as the M235i felt like it was losing steam at higher speeds. The M3's flat torque curve also made it easier to drive and feel more stable (the M235i's shorter wheelbase probably contributed to it feeling a bit more twitchy as well, but still very friendly to drive).
In short though, the M235i basically feels like a more torque-y E92 M3 (with less traction thanks to the narrow tires).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 06:31 PM   #31
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for the writeup. Interesting to hear that you felt the car was too quiet, and this is with the additional noise from the speakers that so many people complain about (before they have even driven a turbo car. ....)
When you're out in the desert driving with the windows down at 80mph with a helmet on - all you really hear is wind . Unless the car is significantly louder via the exhaust note itself, it'll generally be pretty quiet. Plus the N55 motor is so smooth, its hard to really feel it purring at 6K RPM which makes it even more "quiet".
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 07:02 PM   #32
HF Integrale
Proffesional Amatuer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i EB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brings View Post
If I started shifting it manually (after putting it in Sport+ then moving the gear lever to the left for the S mode), then it would be 100% manual (in this case, the S would become an M instead). It would never shift unless I shifted it myself.

However, if all I did was move the gear lever to the left for the S mode and did not do anything else, then it would still shift on its own, just at higher RPMs (or at redline depending on how much throttle I'm giving it). It does hold the gear much longer though, but it won't go all the way to redline if you were only giving it a small amount of throttle (I tested this earlier today).

^^^ That
      05-06-2014, 08:30 PM   #33
pkimM3r
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

wneres the video?!
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #34
dicker
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

So..... lap times?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2014, 05:35 PM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
When you're out in the desert driving with the windows down at 80mph with a helmet on - all you really hear is wind . Unless the car is significantly louder via the exhaust note itself, it'll generally be pretty quiet. Plus the N55 motor is so smooth, its hard to really feel it purring at 6K RPM which makes it even more "quiet".
I concur. With windows down at 80+ On a track, It's very easy to look down and go wow! I need to shift !

so while Luddites may complain about the " piped in sound " as if it's the work of the devil, I actually welcome it.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2014, 06:32 PM   #36
DarkstarZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Daytona 95 M3, X7 M50, e92 M3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Great writeup, and you have some great cars my man.

For the traction control, it is pretty easy to disable the whole thing. Put it into Sport +, hold down the DSC button for a few seconds, and you will see the following confirmation messages.
This is different, did they release an update? I can't get DSC deactivated AND be in sport + mode, it's one or the other. I put it in sport +, hold to turn DSC off and it goes to comfort suspension! I move it back to sport + and DSC turns back on in dynamic mode, hold the button to turn it off and I'm back in comfort mode... really stupid. If there's an update, I want it. Mine's a 2014.

The way I know it's in comfort is when I put it in sport +, turn off DSC, then press down on the eco/sport button, it goes into eco mode instead of sport. Or if I press up, it goes into sport meaning it's coming from comfort. I can also tell the suspension is squishy.

Last edited by DarkstarZero; 05-08-2014 at 07:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #37
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkstarZero View Post
This is different, did they release an update? I can't get DSC deactivated AND be in sport + mode, it's one or the other. I put it in sport +, hold to turn DSC off and it goes to comfort suspension! I move it back to sport + and DSC turns back on in dynamic mode, hold the button to turn it off and I'm back in comfort mode... really stupid. If there's an update, I want it. Mine's a 2014.

The way I know it's in comfort is when I put it in sport +, turn off DSC, then press down on the eco/sport button, it goes into eco mode instead of sport. Or if I press up, it goes into sport meaning it's coming from comfort. I can also tell the suspension is squishy.
Sorry for this, when I wrote this post initially, I hadn't actually driven the car with everything turned off - you are correct that with both DTC and DSC off, you are actually put back into "comfort" mode. I guess this subject has been beaten to death on the F30 boards - I am not sure if there is any way to defeat it...

Not sure why BMW did this...
      05-12-2014, 08:41 AM   #38
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry for this, when I wrote this post initially, I hadn't actually driven the car with everything turned off - you are correct that with both DTC and DSC off, you are actually put back into "comfort" mode. I guess this subject has been beaten to death on the F30 boards - I am not sure if there is any way to defeat it...

Not sure why BMW did this...
I don't agree with this reasoning, but as I understand it the reason you can turn DSC/DTC off at all is because it's necessary in certain conditions; i.e., snow and ice. In these conditions, you need sometimes need wheel spin to be able to drive effectively. However, BMW has decided that since this is a "necessity only" feature, it's only available in comfort.

It appears that BMW felt the more lenient DSC parameters in Sport+ gives the driver all the headroom they need for enthusiastic driving. This is exactly the kind of nanny-state bullshit that I hate about certain other manufacturers. I'm hoping they do an about face on this one and provide an update that allows it to be defeated entirely.

What I can't figure out is, how are all the car mags pulling off these huge drifts with the M235i? Does this mean they're just leaving the car in comfort while doing those shots? And how has there been little to no mention of this in the press? VW was ripped to shreds by the automotive press for the faux pas they pulled with the Golf R and a non-defeatable ESP system, yet BMW gets a pass? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 1
      05-12-2014, 12:16 PM   #39
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
I don't agree with this reasoning, but as I understand it the reason you can turn DSC/DTC off at all is because it's necessary in certain conditions; i.e., snow and ice. In these conditions, you need sometimes need wheel spin to be able to drive effectively. However, BMW has decided that since this is a "necessity only" feature, it's only available in comfort.

It appears that BMW felt the more lenient DSC parameters in Sport+ gives the driver all the headroom they need for enthusiastic driving. This is exactly the kind of nanny-state bullshit that I hate about certain other manufacturers. I'm hoping they do an about face on this one and provide an update that allows it to be defeated entirely.

What I can't figure out is, how are all the car mags pulling off these huge drifts with the M235i? Does this mean they're just leaving the car in comfort while doing those shots? And how has there been little to no mention of this in the press? VW was ripped to shreds by the automotive press for the faux pas they pulled with the Golf R and a non-defeatable ESP system, yet BMW gets a pass? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
I don't agree with the reasoning either - it is definitely nanny state, as you say very accurately, and I think we as drivers should be able to ascertain when we need them and when we don't in this type of application. There is a big difference to me in defeating DSC or having anti-lock brakes as standard - but it seems that more and more, our choices and ability to make these decisions are taken away.

When I am in Sport +, I can get the back end to move around some, but it is definitely not the easiest thing to do - initially I had thought it was a function of "grip" but this conversation is making me start to wonder a little bit. My guess is that the mags are doing in Comfort - I surely don't think those kinds of slides would be achieveable with any of the traction control systems on...

I also wonder if the new M3/4 are subject to the same kind of limitations? I know there was an early delivery in the UAE, but I am not sure if the owner has tried to do too much with all the nannies off. There is a zillion page thread that I might scan through to see if he has tried...if not, maybe that's the thinking - when you have a "true" M, they dial the nannies in a different way?
      05-12-2014, 01:28 PM   #40
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
I also wonder if the new M3/4 are subject to the same kind of limitations? I know there was an early delivery in the UAE, but I am not sure if the owner has tried to do too much with all the nannies off. There is a zillion page thread that I might scan through to see if he has tried...if not, maybe that's the thinking - when you have a "true" M, they dial the nannies in a different way?
Yeah, the stability systems in the full on M-cars are completely different. For example, you get M Dynamic Mode. I don't have any confirmation on the F8x M-cars, but I can't see M GmbH allowing nanny controls on a car that will definitely see track duty.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2014, 12:29 PM   #41
BrunoT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F-150

A look at your tachometer might be useful in figuring out which gear you are in if the indicator is too small. With more time with the car I bet you'd know instantly depending on the speed and situation, from the tach.
Appreciate 1