THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228xi Non- Sport Package Questions

02-17-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Question 228xi Non- Sport Package Questions

Hey guys

If you don't wanna read my little story, just skip to the bottom and look at the couple of questions I'm asking

I haven't been on these forums in a LONG TIME because life has been quite busy. I bought one of the first 135i's back in 2008 and the car has been very kind to me. I still have it, though I no longer drive it nearly as much as I should, and I don't visit these forums as much as I should, either. It's really heavily modded and a beast, and I've had (almost) nothing but praise for it.

Because of this, I kind of influenced my family to look into BMW. My mom bought an X3 after years of Volvos, Acuras, and Benzes, and then by my suggestion she now has a sport pack X1 in white / coral red which she loves.

Meanwhile, my sister had some asshole rear-end her at highway speed while she was stopped in traffic. Her old lexus IS250 was totaled. She is younger than me and had that car for about 8 years. She literally grew up in that car. (edit - it's actually sneaking into the picture on my sig over to the left).

I convinced her that some BMW test driving would cheer her up, and sure enough she fell in love with the 228i. She needs xDrive for NJ winter driving. We test drove a mid-range model with sport line, premium and cold weather package. She decided she doesn't really care for the sport package. We figure that coming from the lexus, even a non-sport 228i will feel nice. It's also much faster. The interior is also slightly larger and slightly nicer than my car, with that fancy iDrive screen standard and all that.

The problem is that she never drove a non-sport package 228i. She's very eager to have her car replaced because of where she lives - no access to public transit or anything at all. She put a deposit on a Valencia Orange (she showed interest in that color and once I mentioned it was the exclusive 1M color before BMW decided to really piss of those 1M owners) non sport pack car with premium, cold weather, and black grilles.

tl,dr- My sister is buying a 228xi. She put a deposit down for a non-sport 228 but has only driven the sport line version. I've driven neither.

So, on to the questions.

The bigger one. When I got my car, there was a HUGE difference between the non sport seats and the sport seats. The side bolsters really made a difference. The lumbar support offered by the premium package seats was alright, but it was those bolsters that really made the seats perfect. Is this still the case? Are her non-sport seats gonna be that sucky?

Also, is the suspension really that much softer? Is it unbearably soft, or is it at least tighter than a Lexus IS250?

And - does the car still have the comfort, eco, sport settings without a sport pack? If so, what do the settings do in a non -sport car? I'm assuming they don't change the suspension, or the steering feel, maybe just the throttle mapping?

The closest dealer to her (which she went to for the test drive), didn't have one on hand to show us. If you guys think it's worth it, I'll convince her to find a ride to hitch to a different BMW dealer with a non-sport version. If you think that the non sport version is at least comparable to the comfort setting on the sport version, and that the base seats are improved, then I won't bother.

Thanks in advance for all your help guys. I hope you're all enjoying this awesome new car!

Last edited by 1speedbike; 02-17-2015 at 01:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 02:02 AM   #2
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

You have drive the cars yourself and decide and views here can be only views to different feeling from drivers.

I myself and my wife enjoy M Sport cars.
      02-17-2015, 07:11 AM   #3
tccox
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Msport

Garage List
Sport seats are a absolute must. Huge difference
      02-17-2015, 07:17 AM   #4
scrape1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 228i M Sport, '04 X3 3.0i

I can't imagine the base 2 series suspension is worse handling than an IS250 from that generation, but I have not driven either car, so take that with a grain of salt.

There are practical advantages to the base 2 series. The smaller wheels and bigger side walls are less prone to damage. The ride is more comfortable. If your sister is not known for whipping around corners, it might just be the right choice for her.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:34 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

I'm sorry to repeat the old refrain of how personal and subjective these choices are, but it would be unwise to buy a car without sitting in and driving a sample first. No two backs are alike, so whether hers will be comfortable in the non-Sport seats both at initial sit, and after prolonged driving, is something only she can answer. I have the Sport seats because it fits my back perfectly and a recent 6 hour drive proved the point again...I don't go to the track...it's just wonderfully comfortable.

Along the way, I test drove a No Line 2 Series and the suspension was fine....highly competent, felt good. However, moving to Sport Line with Track Package is quite a different experience. Again, she should drive before making such a major expenditure.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

I'd agree that you can't make this decision based on what other people tell you.

In my case, I bought a 228xi without the sport package after test driving a 228 with sport and a 335 without one.

My last car, an '06 328xi had the sport package but my biggest impression when doing the test drive this time is how much lighter the 228 felt compared to the '06.

When I set out to buy this car, I didn't want to spend a lot and so I went ahead and bought the non-sport package. I would have had to search for another dealer if I wanted to test drive it first. So that helped convince me to save the money.

I'm happy with the car -- I probably would have liked the sport package more. The seat is not great but it is perfectly comfortable. I just drove 580 miles round trip over a weekend and I really can't say that I was ever uncomfortable or that I wished the car handled differently. And I still have the extra $ in my bank.

I should point out that where I live, I drive on roads that are fantastic for enjoying a BMW with plenty of hills and curves. My car handles them all great.
      02-17-2015, 09:21 AM   #7
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

I'm definitely an msport/sport line supporter due to the awesome seats (msport only) and the suspension set up. But like they said.. To each their own. If she goes ahead and buys it and doesn't like the suspension she could install aftermarket shocks. More $$$$ but she would get the car sooner and get the ride quality she wants. Minus the seats of course.

Last edited by 2msport; 02-17-2015 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
MikeG12
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M40, 2000 Z3M, 2017 X1

I have driven the 228 MSport(which I bought), the base 228, and the 228X. The Sport seats are awesome but maybe you don't need them. The standard seats are comfortable but don't have the side bolsters and other support that the sport seats have. The MSport suspension is much sportier than the standard suspension, but the standard suspension is probably much sportier than the Lexus. All are comfortable in my opinion, but my last car was a VW GTI and before that a 1999 M3, so I like firm suspensions. Best to test drive them, but sounds like your sister would be very happy with the 228xi. I did not notice much difference between the 228 RWD and the 228x AWD, so drive either for a test.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

You should check out this review on the comfort of the 228i seats.

http://jalopnik.com/ten-hours-in-bmw...upe-1684084073
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:05 PM   #10
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Thank you for all the help guys. I don't think she will mind the suspension setup, especially because she complained that my car was pretty rough on 18" wheels BEFORE I modified the suspension, but my biggest fear was the seats. It looks like they still aren't the greatest.

I agree with you all that everyone has to drive themselves in order to figure out what they like best. I'm going to try and convince my sister to at least sit in a non-sport seat in the showroom if she doesn't feel like taking a car out for another drive. She's gotta stop being lazy!

But thank you all I really appreciate all of the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverseven View Post
In my case, I bought a 228xi without the sport package after test driving a 228 with sport and a 335 without one.

driverseven, your post helped the most because you actually GOT the non-sport seats. I've been on these forums for years and I know the general sentiment here is sportiness over comfort, luxury, etc. I kinda figured most people would have one of the various sport packs on their cars (when I got mine... there was only one sport pack, and not even the "M sport"!).

She doesn't want to spend a lot either. She has no use for anthracite headliners, bigger wheels, etc. Actually the smaller wheels are better because of the bigger tires. Our area has a shit ton of potholes and she had to shell out cash for 2 cracked rims last winter, and she's not a careless driver by any means. So, with no use for anything except the seats, it pretty much come down to would she spend 2 grand for side bolsters?

The fact that you (driverseven) find the regular seats comfortable enough for that long of a drive makes me feel better in case she still insists on getting this exact car.

Also, thanks for the link TBro2002. I'll forward that to her.

And once again, thanks for the help everyone!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 10:18 PM   #11
Portadown95
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i with THP, Sport Pack

Is there a difference between sportline sport seats and the sport seats in the msport?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #12
mfourn20
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i M Sport

My wife isn't really a car person. We sat in all 3 trim levels. Even she said the non sport/m sport seats were terrible...flat as a pancake on the bottom portion.

I would say of you don't care about losing the seats and aren't really into performance than a no line car is fine for most.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 02:38 PM   #13
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

I have the base 228i. I preferred to use option money on the Premium and Tech packages instead of the Sport package. Many go the opposite direction. The base drives wonderfully and as long as you don't want to auto x or track it you probably will not notice the difference. The seats are flat but really very comfortable. I like that both front seats have lumbar support...although that may be with the premium package only. I am not a fan of the coated leather...but that is in either version.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:04 PM   #14
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfourn20 View Post
My wife isn't really a car person. We sat in all 3 trim levels. Even she said the non sport/m sport seats were terrible...flat as a pancake on the bottom portion.

I would say of you don't care about losing the seats and aren't really into performance than a no line car is fine for most.

Thank you for the input. I'm the same way, I absolutely NEEDED the sports seats. My sister's definitely not into performance at all, aside from just needing the ability to easily merge on the highway or hurry up after a stoplight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I have the base 228i. I preferred to use option money on the Premium and Tech packages instead of the Sport package. Many go the opposite direction. The base drives wonderfully and as long as you don't want to auto x or track it you probably will not notice the difference. The seats are flat but really very comfortable. I like that both front seats have lumbar support...although that may be with the premium package only. I am not a fan of the coated leather...but that is in either version.
Thanks for your opinion! It seems like the base seats aren't as universally hated as I originally thought. Yes, my sister would be getting the premium package, which comes with power seats + lumbar (only the power seats have the lumbar support, which I think is more important for a long drive or an aching back, versus the side bolsters).

I'm glad you're enjoying your car - it makes me feel better about my sisters decision against the sport pack. She definitely doesn't do any sort of performance driving, just needs to get around and have a bit of fun while she's at it.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 11:33 PM   #15
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Nice to hear. We made the same decision on ordering a base 228i with Premium and Tech Package.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 07:37 AM   #16
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Cool

Another little thing I like about the base over the sport line and m sport is the mirrors and back of the car are the same color as the rest of the car. I am not a fan of different color mirrors on cars except maybe the MINI. I think the back all being the same color looks cleaner. I also prefer the 17 inch wheels over the larger dual spokes.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 08:06 AM   #17
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBro2002 View Post
Nice to hear. We made the same decision on ordering a base 228i with Premium and Tech Package.
You won't be disappointed. I bought mine stock on hand so the only option I dont have but wished I did was heated seats. I drove 110 miles away to get mine because of the better deal. A couple months later they had one exactly like mine plus heated seats at my local dealer...oh well. I doubt I could have gotten as good a deal. I ended up getting 9.1% off MSRP so I could not pass it up over not having one $500 option. These 2ers have really good heaters in them...the cabin warms up fast.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
chaswyck1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i Valencia Orange

Quote:
You won't be disappointed. I bought mine stock on hand so the only option I dont have but wished I did was heated seats. I drove 110 miles away to get mine because of the better deal. A couple months later they had one exactly like mine plus heated seats at my local dealer...oh well. I doubt I could have gotten as good a deal. I ended up getting 9.1% off MSRP so I could not pass it up over not having one $500 option. These 2ers have really good heaters in them...the cabin warms up fast.
Nice to know about the heater. I've had my car for almost 2 months now and I've never had to use the heater (SoCal). Just a word about the lumbar support...if you have any back issues at all, like I do, the lumbar support is an absolute must. Works great! This is the first time in three years that I've been able to drive more than an hour without back pain and it's wonderful. For me, that feature was worth the whole price of the Premium package.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #19
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaswyck1 View Post
Nice to know about the heater. I've had my car for almost 2 months now and I've never had to use the heater (SoCal). Just a word about the lumbar support...if you have any back issues at all, like I do, the lumbar support is an absolute must. Works great! This is the first time in three years that I've been able to drive more than an hour without back pain and it's wonderful. For me, that feature was worth the whole price of the Premium package.
+1 to everything! The heaters are great, including the one in the steering wheel! What a treat! It's -17 F degrees ambient here tonight.

Also, agree very much about the seats. I have to stick a pillow behind my lower back in my wife's MB E350. But, I just drove a six hour round trip in the 2, and got out feeling just great! Superb seat comfort!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 07:20 AM   #20
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
+1 to everything! The heaters are great, including the one in the steering wheel! What a treat! It's -17 F degrees ambient here tonight.

Also, agree very much about the seats. I have to stick a pillow behind my lower back in my wife's MB E350. But, I just drove a six hour round trip in the 2, and got out feeling just great! Superb seat comfort!
It only got down to 6 degrees here NE of Charlotte but it broke a record. Kids have not gone to school 1 day this week and not a drop of snow on the ground!
Appreciate 0