THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Need some advice! (M240i)

11-23-2017, 12:29 AM   #1
Cycle Pilot
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Need some advice! (M240i)

I purchased my M240i a couple of months ago and absolutely love it. It's my first BMW I've owned and it's a amazing. I installed a Dinan Stage 1 tuner a couple weeks ago and it makes the car even more enjoyable. I'm thinking about some other mods but I'm wondering if they're worth it. There are some great sales going on right now so I'm debating on taking advantage of them. Here's where I want some input and opinions...

1) Is the LSD really worth the money? Would I only need it if I plan on running the car on the track? It's a dang expensive part and I don't know if the bang is worth the buck.
2) I'm overwhelmed as to what exhaust to get. There are so many combos and YouTube videos of exhaust sounds. I was leaning towards the full Dinan exhaust but I've also heard good things about the Dinan mid pipe along with the MPE. What about Remus?
3) Dinan doesn't have an intake yet for the M240i. Any other suggestions? Or just wait for the Dinan intake to come out?

Finally... I'm well aware that none of these items is going to add value to my car. They would hopefully add value to my driving life, though!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
1) Is the LSD really worth the money? Would I only need it if I plan on running the car on the track? It's a dang expensive part and I don't know if the bang is worth the buck.
2) I'm overwhelmed as to what exhaust to get. There are so many combos and YouTube videos of exhaust sounds. I was leaning towards the full Dinan exhaust but I've also heard good things about the Dinan mid pipe along with the MPE. What about Remus?
3) Dinan doesn't have an intake yet for the M240i. Any other suggestions? Or just wait for the Dinan intake to come out?

Finally... I'm well aware that none of these items is going to add value to my car. They would hopefully add value to my driving life, though!
I wished I had the LSD on my 135is. It would try to lift the rear inside wheel on rapid starts from a stop sign with a right turn, on a corner I visit often. It may have been trying to brake that wheel but the result too often was that it would kill power. If you're not experiencing that, the LSD may not be worth the money unless you have it to burn.

I've put the MPE on my M240i xDrive convertible and am not entirely pleased with the sound. The 135is was more raspy and did more popping. (The popping is more due to the ECU than to the exhaust, I suspect.) So if you like noise, my guess is you'll want to do more than just MPE. It wold be nice if you could listen to some examples. Videos might help.

No opinion on the intake. The car has plenty of power right out of the box for my taste. I'm not sure what I'd do with more, but probably I'm getting old.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #3
drexplode
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: G26 i4x

LSD is a must have for spirited drives around the twisties and track use. I wouldn't have a M240i any other way!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2017, 07:13 AM   #4
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

I picked up my '17 m240ix sept 1st, and dig the sh!t out of it! I have added all Dinan parts, Stage 1, mid pipe, free flow exhaust, and springs with bumps (actual install on springs is tomorrow). First off, the stage one rocks, throws me back in my seat, the exhaust with the mid pipe might be a little loud for a 48 year old, but I don't give a F$&K, can't believe I drove cars with no sound for decades, ...... they say the springs make the roll disappear, dial in the steering and brake response but I won't know that until tomorrow afternoon. I have spoke with Dinan directly and they told me Stage 2 w/intake the beginning of next year, which I will buy, and will continue to add everything they make down the road, the intercooler, the big turbo, Stage 3, and Stage 4, and if warranted, larger brakes. Now, do I need these upgrades? No, but am I going to do it anyway, YES!
Quick question, do they make a LSD for the xDrive?
      11-23-2017, 08:14 AM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

FWIW, I have the M240i w/ the Dinan Stage 1 Elite.

Plan to skip the exhaust (would not mind adding the intake)-car is plenty loud enough under accelerations, but will be investigating the Stage 3 (minus the Exhaust) when it becomes available. I'd like to "cherry pick" my upgrades, but stay w/ Dinan. If I have to get the exhaust to get the Stage 3 I will, but at this point, I'll pass.

The LSD is expensive, but for my type of driving unnecessary. I don't track, and never WOT from a dead stop. 1/2 throttle rockets me away from traffic at the light. When rolling along, heavier throttle allows me to blow by slower traffic on interstates or highways. Pure fun and enjoyment. Stage 3 will provide the same enjoyment w/ less throttle. Plus having it gives me the satisfaction of knowing I can run with and likely beat the true "M" cars (and plenty of other sport/muscle cars).
Appreciate 0