THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum About to order a factory build M240i, thoughts and opinions please...

09-20-2017, 05:00 AM   #23
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Sunset Orange, Oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
Yes, I'm just along the coast towards Worthing. I got my car from Chandlers in Portslade (they call it Hove, so it sounds more upmarket, but it's really Portslade). They were really proactive when BMW had a shortage of ProNav units and swapped a build slot with another dealer to get mine with one fitted. And subsequently, I've found their prices for wheel refurb' and dent repair to be competitive. They recently had an offer where they'd fit all the BMW M Performance parts to a new M235i/240i for a big discount on the usual price.

Re electric seats: I have a bad back and so went for lumbar support. If you are the only driver, then the seat+mirror key memory probably isn't a big deal. And you can probably live without the finer adjustment you can get with electric seats. The heated seats are great for the bad back and I use them outside the depths of winter. If you share the car then for me, that tips the balance in favour of electric, due to the memory settings for seat and mirrors. The finer adjustment they give is a bonus. And the electrics also have the switch on the seat top - you press it once, and it moves the seat forwards to allow rear passenger access and then again and it moves back. Also quite useful in a 2-door, but marginal if you don't ever have passengers. If you do go for electric seats and share the car a lot, get them to throw in a nice 'M' keyfob, as you don't want to get the keys mixed up.

I didn't go for Driver Assistance but I did have PDC. I find PDC+camera really useful - but the BMW PDC isn't as intuitive/accurate as the Audi: you have to get used to it. Rear visibility in the convertible isn't as good as the coupé however, so the camera is probably more useful for me.

I opted against Driver Assistance after scouring the Forums for feedback, which was fairly negative/equivocal. There were explicit complaints that the speed limit recognition was inconsistent, and that the lane departure warning was often intrusive. This could be unrepresentative, of course, but I decided against.

The only other advice I'd give is to talk to the parts department before you take delivery. They usually wait 'till you've paid to mention things like screenwash (don't mix BMW and non-BMW), oil, spare bulb set (£80 for my M235i!), nice key fob, leather care kit etc. You might get the dealer to throw-in for free at least some spare oil and screenwash on delivery. If you are considering winter wheels and tyres then it's worth getting a baseline quote for a set from the Parts Department, even if it's just for comparison with independents (athough this may need a build VIN). BMW store the unused set for you for a £30/year switch/storage fee. I used Chandlers for my 3 Series winters but went to Discount Tyres Direct in Worthing for the M235i as BMW didn't have what I wanted in stock at the time.

I had made provision for retro-fitting the limited slip differential (LSD) as some owners said this make a big difference to the handling. It's a dealer-fit at about £2600. But along with other owners, I've not felt the omission and haven't gone for it. I also intended to retro-fit the (rather expensive) carbon fibre interior trim parts (dash, door handles, centre console, handbrake, gear lever and gaiter base). But I actually liked the High Gloss Black that I'd ordered better than the CF so that saved me yet more money. People report that HGB is prone to scratching - it is if you're careless or don't know, but as long as you hand-polish it with a duster, you shouldn't get scratches.

I also replaced myself the naff grey-that-doesn't-match-anything-else-on-the-car wing-mirror covers with carbon fibre ones from AutoID in the UK at £105 vs £500 for the BMW equivalent. AutoID also do body colour-matched versions which I think would do just as well, if not better. I only opted for CF because the estoril blue paint mix had changed at the time of delivery (EB-1 vs EB-2) and I didn't want to get the wrong shade. I also ordered the useful passenger footwell 'parcel net' (part no. B51.47.429.466, £24) and fitted it myself.

One thing I was disappointed with was the exhaust tail pipes: these are very flimsy and corrode quickly in a wet GB winter. This seems to be generic. Based on Forum feedback, I got these sand-blasted and powder-coated gloss black at a small workshop near Horsham and they've been fine since.
Thanks for all the advice
I do like the function on the electric seats to move the seat forward for rear passengers. With all these extras I just think to myself if I plan to keep the car for 15-20 years then it's not actually costing that much if that makes sense, butnthen it's just more things to go wrong. Catch 22 lol.

Drive assist doesn't do the speed limits, that's a different optional extra and I'm not going with that.
I do sometimes get sleepy at the wheel so I'm just thinking that will help if I come out of lane, also the emergency breaking and pedestrian sensing, injustbthink it would be worthwhile for me, but yes I agree it could get intrusive vibrating the wheel unless you indicate, I assume this function can be turned on and off? I'll have to ask at the weekend.
I think I'm going to go for the brushed aluminium and pearl chrome trim... you're right about the high gloss black, it scratches very easily and shows fingerprints ��
The M240i comes with extended storage pack as standard so not sure if that includes passenger net.
To be fair I don't think the grey wing mirrors look too bad on sunset orange, it also has grey fins in the air scoops on the front bumper and obviously grey rear diffuser, just breaks it up a bit I think.
I'll have to bare that in mind about the exhaust pipes, the ones on my 8 series are awful, nothing worse than shoddy looking pipes.

Last edited by Bmw Fan M240i; 09-20-2017 at 05:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:04 AM   #24
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Trying to upload pictures of the one in my local dealers, the exact colour and wheels, butnits saying the file needs resizing, any easy way. The photo is saved on my iPad and I have no technical knowledge
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2017, 05:25 AM   #25
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonertial View Post
I got Adaptive M Suspension on mine (a 2017 M240i). I would not take it again. The ride is too soft in both modes for my taste, with no detectable (by me) difference between them. I spent a fair bit of effort in the beginning trying to figure out if it was even working. I had the basic M Sport Suspension on my old car (1 series), and vastly preferred it.

I'm one of the seeming few that will never again use "normal" tires on cars that have been tuned for run-flats. My experience (again, on my old 1 series) is that handling is dramatically worsened putting normal tires on. In that case I replaced them after 3 weeks because the the car did not feel safe at high cornering speeds. Bought a set of Continental SportContact R-Fs and instantly felt back in touch with the road. An expensive mistake and an opinion which will take a much stronger argument than "BMW don't put run-flats on their M cars" to change. For me.
Hmmm, looks like I'm going to have to give both of these options some thought, I'll discuss in detail at the weekend with BMW, she did say that i can put the order in and within reason (time) I can change further down the line.
Run flats and normal tires are both free so I'll have to get more detail from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:38 AM   #26
nikko1960
Rep
Drives: M240i

I took delivery of a new M240i last Friday and have now racked up 700 miles more or less.

You seem to be agonising over the adaptive suspension. Over on YouTube, Joe Achilles made some sensible comments on this feature here (
) which made sense to me so I went for it. Unlike others here, I can definitely tell the difference between Comfort/Eco and Sport/Sport+ settings and it makes our local Wiltshire roads more tolerable to drive on when I have the wife in the car!

I also opted for the M Performance LSD because other reviewers thought it increased the safety of driving in the wet. I can tell you (and i'm still running the car in FWIW) that its easy to dial in more power than you think when exiting a wet roundabout. But because it was fitted by the dealer before I took delivery of the car (they gave me a 10% discount), I can't give you a before/after comparison.

Other things I got were the auto box (a no-brainer for stress free driving), HK audio, tinted glass, grey orbit wheels to go with the alpine white exterior, and the gloss black kidney grills (fitted FOC by the dealer). Oh, and the pro-nav package. I love the feature that compares the prices of unleaded within a given radius in realtime!

Overall, the car is awesome and you will really enjoy driving it.

Nikko
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #27
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

If you are worried about the adaptive suspension failing, remember that for it to cost you money it has to be out of the factory warranty and by that time you can also just replace it with aftermarket suspension instead.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 01:42 PM   #28
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, think I'll go with the adaptive, I assume it will be straight forward to change back to passive once they do wear out...?
I'm just deliberating over the colour now......
My original choice was sunset orange, either way I'm going for the jet black wheels and rear tints.
I test drive a grey one last week and just thought it looked "ordinary".... black with black wheels and tints will look too gangster I think....
The orange one at my local dealer has the exact wheels and tints and looks amazing but it was inside the showroom so not under natural light. I'm just worried if the orange will hold the test of time... out of the 70+ listed on autotrader in the UK none are orange so it will be unique.....
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #29
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
If you are buying rather than leasing, then orange may not be a wise choice once resale time comes around. Those who love it love but they are few and far between. Let's face it, it ain't a yellow Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 03:54 PM   #30
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Does anyone know if BMW offer a carbon fibre exhaust tips option, if so do you think this will look ok on the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #31
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmw Fan M240i View Post
Does anyone know if BMW offer a carbon fibre exhaust tips option, if so do you think this will look ok on the car?
Yes, they do, but I think it's only an option if you get the M-Performance exhaust. I think they look great, but personally wasn't willing to spend the coin on tips.

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2017, 05:29 PM   #32
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMOETO View Post
Yes, they do, but I think it's only an option if you get the M-Performance exhaust. I think they look great, but personally wasn't willing to spend the coin on tips.
Hmmm, I'll have to ask but as you say, I doubt they will be cheap.
Also is it worth taking out the paint protection dealers offer? GardX is the one my local dealer is offering, think she said £600 for paint and leather protection.... is it worth taking, will it make I think easier to wash like they say?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 02:40 PM   #33
Miata13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 BMW x3 M40i (on order)

Quote:
......Also is it worth taking out the paint protection dealers offer? GardX is the one my local dealer is offering, think she said £600 for paint and leather protection.... is it worth taking, will it make I think easier to wash like they say?
I would not opt for any extra paint protection or leather/fabric treatment as for me, that's easily done yourself for a fraction of the dealer's price. Use your favorite wax and treat fabric/carpets with Scotchguard or similar upon delivery. Periodic leather treatment will do just fine. The only option I'd strongly consider is a paint protection film such as xPel. It's not inexpensive but really protects the paint from airborne damage..chips etc.

Eager to hear of your final specifications on your order! Enjoy the day today!
'14 F31 M-Sport ED & PCD (retired)
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #34
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Ok, so the order is placed, should be ready to collect at the end of November.
Spec below
BMW F22 M240i 3.0i LCI
Sunset orange
Oyster with dark oyster highlight leather

Extras
Full professional media pack
18" M double spoke jet black alloys
Steering wheel heating
Sport automatic transmission
Reverse assist camera
Sun protection glass
Exterior folding mirrors
Elec seats
Lumbar support
Seat heating
Brushed aliminuim trim with pearl chrome finisher
Park distance control front and rear
Cruise control with brake function
High beam assist
Driving assist
Park assist
Harmon Kardon Hi Fi

I opted out of the adaptive suspension in the end and also opted out of the sunroof. Luckily the car I test drove today had a sun roof and it really eats into the head room in the front but more so in the rear, so that saved me £900.
13% discount off the build price, plus a further £2,500 deposit contribution from BMW finance which I'm clearing after 30 days, plus a free service pack.
So a £44,475 motor has cost me around £35,500. Still exspensive but I'm happy with that price.
The only thing I'm considering is adding the adaptive suspension, the dealer said he wouldn't bother, and to be fair he knew his beamers and has been working there nearly 30 years. It's just both the test drive cars had the adaptive suspension, but I want to keep the car stock so messing about with it, should it fail, is not something I really want to be doing, I just don't know ��
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 02:57 AM   #35
nikko1960
Rep
Drives: M240i

Since you opted out of the adaptive suspension, take a look at the suspension tweaks offered by Birds (see: http://www.birdsauto.com/models/2-series-f22) - they're not expensive but they do make for a greatly enhanced drive, according to Autocar (see: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...5i-2017-review).
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 05:13 AM   #36
Lew Carrum
Private First Class
Wales
Rep
Drives: M 240

Adaptive suspension is entirely a personal choice, I would rather do some research and maybe get a bilstein or koni kit,either way it needs lowering 10-20mm then it will look and corner better. Sunroof is a yes for me, my Honda has one and I love it. Exhaust tips are available from many auto shops, so you don't need to spend big on BMW branded ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #37
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Carrum View Post
Adaptive suspension is entirely a personal choice, I would rather do some research and maybe get a bilstein or koni kit,either way it needs lowering 10-20mm then it will look and corner better. Sunroof is a yes for me, my Honda has one and I love it. Exhaust tips are available from many auto shops, so you don't need to spend big on BMW branded ones.
Hmmm, maybe I'll ring back in the week and add the adaptive suspension, as it is 10mm lower. I just want to keep the car stock though and don't want to mess about with aftermarket suspension..... but don't want the exspensive of renewing the adaptive should it wear out. Tough choice.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #38
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Carrum View Post
Hmmm, maybe I'll ring back in the week and add the adaptive suspension, as it is 10mm lower. I just want to keep the car stock though and don't want to mess about with aftermarket suspension..... but don't want the exspensive of renewing the adaptive should it wear out. Tough choice.
The adaptive suspension uses the same springs and is therefore the same ride height as the passive m sport suspension.

I can vouch that these cars respond extremely well to aftermarket suspension kits. I have Bilstein PSS10 B16 fitted to mine. Going with passive suspension leaves that option open with a head start financially (the £515 you saved not optioning adaptive), as well as not needing to spend additional money on disabling the EDC system.

The shocks on these cars are really shite, both passive and adaptive. Especially the rear which relies heavily on bump stop material to ?do the work?.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 09:42 AM   #39
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
The adaptive suspension uses the same springs and is therefore the same ride height as the passive m sport suspension.

I can vouch that these cars respond extremely well to aftermarket suspension kits. I have Bilstein PSS10 B16 fitted to mine. Going with passive suspension leaves that option open with a head start financially (the £515 you saved not optioning adaptive), as well as not needing to spend additional money on disabling the EDC system.

The shocks on these cars are really shite, both passive and adaptive. Especially the rear which relies heavily on bump stop material to ?do the work?.
On the options list it says the Adaptive suspension is 10mm lower....?
Maybe I'm overworrying about the cost to replace. Would I be right in thinking it's just the dampers/shocks that would need replacing should it it fail? The springs I assume would cost the same as the passive....
I'll be getting the 13% off either way so adding it would only cost £450.
My 840ci has EDC and I'm pretty sure they have never been replaced an it's done 100k miles and 20 years old.....
Think I'll go with it....

Last edited by Bmw Fan M240i; 09-24-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 10:29 AM   #40
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:

On the options list it says the Adaptive suspension is 10mm lower....?
Maybe I'm overworrying about the cost to replace. Would I be right in thinking it's just the dampers/shocks that would need replacing should it it fail? The springs I assume would cost the same as the passive....
I'll be getting the 13% off either way so adding it would only cost £450.
My 840ci has EDC and I'm pretty sure they have never been replaced an it's done 100k miles and 20 years old.....
Think I'll go with it....
No the adaptive is definitely not lower than passive. That is just BMW marketing being lazy and generic in the comparison of adaptive MSport vs standard series (SE) suspension across the entire 2 series range. M240i only comes with MS suspension, in two flavours, both same ride height.

I wouldn?t compare your 8 series suspension with the utter crap bmw fitted to these cars.....built to a price. There have been a number of failures on the adaptive dampers, and they are ridiculously expensive. But as others have mentioned, once one fails out of warranty, you may as well fit a complete aftermarket system at that point, so the cost of a replacement is not an issue.

If you are a keen driver I would urge you to consider at least Bilstein B12 as an option. Far better car for little money.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #41
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

The adaptive setup isn't perfect by any means, but it's not horrible. It is nice to be able to switch to a firm setup and then a much firmer setup. You can definitely tell a difference. My issue with the adaptive suspension in the control of the suspension of rough pavement when in the Sport setting. It's a bit bouncy. IMO, the best mode in street driving would be the Comfort suspension with the Sport steering. Unfortunately that's not an option.

I've been on this forum and the 3 series F-platform forums for the past 2.5 years and I can only recall one failure of an adaptive shock reported on this forum for a stock car. These platform share a ton of parts. I have heard of adaptive shocks failing on 2 and 3 series cars, but in almost all cases, the cars had been lowered. Lastly, this "adaptive" shock tech has been around since the early 1990s. The Nissan 300ZX TT had shocks that can vary between soft and hard. The 2 and 3 series use the same exact tech. There's nothing "adaptive" about the setup either. It doesn't adjust while you drive. It's simply an electronic proportioning valve that changes the shock valving between hard and soft. That's it.

This is my first BMW and German car. I researched the crap out of the parts costs on these cars to understand the expense out of warranty. Short of the engine block, head, and turbo, the costs aren't that bad at all. An adaptive shock will cost you between $250 and $300 USD each from one of the many BMW parts vendors. That's not terrible considering it's a variable shock and a BMW part. For DIYer like myself, swapping in a new shock is a 30 to 60 minute repair. I'm sure BMW would charge close to $1,000 USD for everything. LOL

Lastly, the M240 on the passive suspension sits no lower than the M240 on the adaptive suspension. Like was pointed out, it's the 228/230 base suspension that sits 10mm higher. If you buy an M240, you get the lower springs regardless of suspension selected.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:56 AM   #42
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The adaptive setup isn't perfect by any means, but it's not horrible. It is nice to be able to switch to a firm setup and then a much firmer setup. You can definitely tell a difference. My issue with the adaptive suspension in the control of the suspension of rough pavement when in the Sport setting. It's a bit bouncy. IMO, the best mode in street driving would be the Comfort suspension with the Sport steering. Unfortunately that's not an option.

I've been on this forum and the 3 series F-platform forums for the past 2.5 years and I can only recall one failure of an adaptive shock reported on this forum for a stock car. These platform share a ton of parts. I have heard of adaptive shocks failing on 2 and 3 series cars, but in almost all cases, the cars had been lowered. Lastly, this "adaptive" shock tech has been around since the early 1990s. The Nissan 300ZX TT had shocks that can vary between soft and hard. The 2 and 3 series use the same exact tech. There's nothing "adaptive" about the setup either. It doesn't adjust while you drive. It's simply an electronic proportioning valve that changes the shock valving between hard and soft. That's it.

This is my first BMW and German car. I researched the crap out of the parts costs on these cars to understand the expense out of warranty. Short of the engine block, head, and turbo, the costs aren't that bad at all. An adaptive shock will cost you between $250 and $300 USD each from one of the many BMW parts vendors. That's not terrible considering it's a variable shock and a BMW part. For DIYer like myself, swapping in a new shock is a 30 to 60 minute repair. I'm sure BMW would charge close to $1,000 USD for everything. LOL

Lastly, the M240 on the passive suspension sits no lower than the M240 on the adaptive suspension. Like was pointed out, it's the 228/230 base suspension that sits 10mm higher. If you buy an M240, you get the lower springs regardless of suspension selected.
Perfect, great info thanks. Ok, so I'm going to leave it, passive suspension just keep it standard. I'm not a mad driver, don't really drive it hard other than in a straight line so doubt I would benifit from the adaptive. I'm sure I will be very pleased.
Just counting down the days now. When I was at the dealer they had someone collecting their brand new M140i shadowline, there's a dedicated room for the "new car pick up" all very exciting 😀
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 04:05 AM   #43
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
If you want the car to lower 10mm just go for the non adaptive M sport suspension, as I mentioned before, it is not prone to failure as the adaptive one yet you get superior cornering and good looks, it’s not hard to get into and out of garages. Only thing is it’s going to be a bit rough which can be dealt with 17’ wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2017, 08:31 PM   #44
Bmw Fan M240i
Private First Class
Rep

I've seen these on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-BM...item2a69b9bd23
Cheapest price I can find and direct from BMW. I assume they will fit the M240i (it only says M235i on the listing)
Are they easy to fit and I assume I have to remove the original ones first?
What do you guys think of these, looks wise on the car...
Appreciate 0