THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Outstanding Service

08-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Outstanding Service

I am not sure if this is just my dealership (BMW of Louisville) or all BMW dealerships, but with approx 600 miles til next service showing on my service indicator, I just received a call from my dealership to set up a time for service because they noticed my m235i was coming due for service. I mentioned a couple very minor warranty related items that I wanted them to look at, in addition to the scheduled maintenance, and the person on the phone noted them and suggested they would need to order parts, so I am also set up for a loaner for a few days. I have to say I am impressed and this type of service. It really makes me feel good about owning my M235i and referring family and friends to BMW of Louisville. Now I just need to wait and see what I get next week for a service loaner.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

If you emailed a link to this post to your service adviser, you'll probably get a M5 loaner.
Well played..
      08-29-2017, 03:49 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Has anyone seen the tread-wear device the dealerships used to asses tire condition?
It's a hand held about the size of a mini-tablet but thick like a Fluke-multimeter and is moved across the tire tread and that sends a readout to a remote device.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #4
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

My dealer treats me in a similar manner for service on my X3 and 228ix. My best thank you is referring others to them who agree with these comments and purchased vehicles from them.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I am not sure if this is just my dealership (BMW of Louisville) or all BMW dealerships, but with approx 600 miles til next service showing on my service indicator, I just received a call from my dealership to set up a time for service because they noticed my m235i was coming due for service. I mentioned a couple very minor warranty related items that I wanted them to look at, in addition to the scheduled maintenance, and the person on the phone noted them and suggested they would need to order parts, so I am also set up for a loaner for a few days. I have to say I am impressed and this type of service. It really makes me feel good about owning my M235i and referring family and friends to BMW of Louisville. Now I just need to wait and see what I get next week for a service loaner.
Sounds like you're off to a good start with your servicing dealer.

Not to sound like a wet blanket, there's a lot more than just getting a good loaner car and that's quality of service. The last time I took my car to my servicing dealer they left oil smudges all over the engine; a small scratch in the driver's door; streaked window glass, etc. If that wasn't enough, I waited 10 minutes at their parts counter while 2 parts people shot the bull around the corner. After one of them finally got around to waiting on me, he went on a lengthy walk-about, looking for my requested part (never mind poking the number into their computer).

That is the last time I took my car to my dealer. Incredibly poor service. The place was chaotic.

Best of luck. I hope your dealer is better.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I don't usually say things like that, but so far I've been extremely pleased and impressed with my local dealership and my advisor. I service my car at Herb Chambers, Sudbury, MA. Coming there for service has been like a mini vacation for me

I am sure I will sing differently when I am out of warranty lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #7
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
I don't usually say things like that, but so far I've been extremely pleased and impressed with my local dealership and my advisor. I service my car at Herb Chambers, Sudbury, MA. Coming there for service has been like a mini vacation for me

I am sure I will sing differently when I am out of warranty lol
Different dealer, but I have to agree.. BMW of Bellevue, WA is amazing on all counts.. I actually feel out of place there because they take care of me so well.

Order a custom vehicle online, couple of emails, ordered. (On word, repeat customer..).. Eventually send deposit online, schedule a time to pick it up, in and out in an hour..

Time for service, get an e-mail.. Set a time, done..

It really doesn't get much better than that.. I'm severely impressed.

I've gotten nothing but bullshit and lies from every other, "big three" or import dealer in the past. Can't see them at any level of service like I've received from the Mothership...

Pretty sold at this point.. Hard to go elsewhere..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #8
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

I got the same call. I actually found it a little unsettling that they knew my car was close to needing its first service.
      08-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by B58togo View Post
I got the same call. I actually found it a little unsettling that they knew my car was close to needing its first service.
You do know your car is communicating with BMW every time you start it?

They contacted me for service a bit early because I had been , "enjoying" it on a regular basis.. Told me it was normal and welcome.. It's all part of CBS.. (Condition based service)...

Standard on about every car they offer..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 09:44 PM   #10
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

^^

Yes, I know that.
      08-30-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Based on other comments, I'm glad I am not alone in receiving this level of service. While it's certainly something we all would like, in this day and age of having to jump through all kinds of hoops just to speak to an actual human being when seeking service for most other service related issues which come up in our daily lives, this was just such a surprise. I had planned to call and make a service appointment as soon as the service indicator said it was time, but to get a call ahead of time impressed me. In comparison to previous experiences with our other most recently owned vehicles, MINI, Mazda and even my wife's new Audi, this is not the norm. That said, 3.0L is correct, it's not just the customer relations on the front end, but the actual service experience which matters most, and if this next service experience is as good as my first one was, I'll be happy.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 11:21 AM   #12
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutsche-Broke View Post
You do know your car is communicating with BMW every time you start it?

They contacted me for service a bit early because I had been , "enjoying" it on a regular basis.. Told me it was normal and welcome.. It's all part of CBS.. (Condition based service)...

Standard on about every car they offer..
That feature tickles me no end. Why? Because now my dealer knows I'm taking my car somewhere else for service. They can pound sand for all I care. I even hope they have to explain themselves to corporate.

Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      08-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #13
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think if your car is still under warranty you are saving them money, and if it is out of warranty then it is just dealership that loses out, not BMW corporate. You'd probably have more impact if you went there for a service, then filled out the customer response survey in anything but max-positive. I've had good luck with my dealership, but they are annoyingly obsessive about those numbers.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 02:42 PM   #14
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I think if your car is still under warranty you are saving them money, and if it is out of warranty then it is just dealership that loses out, not BMW corporate. You'd probably have more impact if you went there for a service, then filled out the customer response survey in anything but max-positive. I've had good luck with my dealership, but they are annoyingly obsessive about those numbers.
Agreed, both of my (former) servicing dealers were annoying as all get out regarding receiving all 10's. Emails, phone calls... I got sick of it.

Back to my BMW dealer, I made the mistake of emailing my initial complaints to their management. As a result, I never received a request or link to any type of online survey. In short, they axed it, knowing full well that I was very unhappy.

So, I went straight to corporate headquarters. They responded immediately and promised to confront my dealer face to face, saying corporate takes complaints such as mine "very seriously." Well, maybe so. I'd be surprised if my dealer changed much, if at all. I really don't care anymore because I found a real nice, clean, long time family owned servicer and they treat me like a king. Car was slick clean and not over-serviced *. I'll be taking my MB there for its next scheduled service.

*According to BMW, my 2014 M235i was due for brake fluid change during the last oil and filter change. My nice (honest) independent servicer said, "Look, your car has only 8700 miles on it and you keep it in your attached garage. It does not need new brake fluid at this time." I agreed. See you next time!

My MB dealer goes by the book, too. In other words, some items on my MB were over serviced, too.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #15
Thalia949
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i conv - 6MT

Great to hear. I recently purchased a M235i and live near this dealer. Is there a particular service advisor that is recommended?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2017, 10:10 PM   #16
Deutsche-Broke
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
That feature tickles me no end. Why? Because now my dealer knows I'm taking my car somewhere else for service. They can pound sand for all I care. I even hope they have to explain themselves to corporate.
Again, not knowing all of the circumstances I would have to start with, the traditional "Stealership" model is broken, but there's too much money in it to change the model in the foreseeable future.

Like I mentioned previously, I have had nothing but issues similar or much worse with other dealerships that I have visited in the past..

While there are some of us that have been through some shit in the past, I have been "lucky" enough to find a good one with the past couple of cars.. For that, I'm quite thankful.. As they are 100 miles away, I've also been working with them to be able to have an, "independent" shop do a normal oil change or maintenance with proof of parts, fluids, etc. without blowing an entire day for 7 quarts of oil and a $15 filter..

Hoping you find an advocate to replace your adversary.. Unfortunately, it's a crap shoot, but worth looking farther out for someone else who will work with you..

After all, you spent a shit ton of money.. It should mean something down the line..
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 09:42 AM   #17
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
Agreed, both of my (former) servicing dealers were annoying as all get out regarding receiving all 10's. Emails, phone calls... I got sick of it.

Back to my BMW dealer, I made the mistake of emailing my initial complaints to their management. As a result, I never received a request or link to any type of online survey. In short, they axed it, knowing full well that I was very unhappy.

So, I went straight to corporate headquarters. They responded immediately and promised to confront my dealer face to face, saying corporate takes complaints such as mine "very seriously." Well, maybe so. I'd be surprised if my dealer changed much, if at all. I really don't care anymore because I found a real nice, clean, long time family owned servicer and they treat me like a king. Car was slick clean and not over-serviced *. I'll be taking my MB there for its next scheduled service.

*According to BMW, my 2014 M235i was due for brake fluid change during the last oil and filter change. My nice (honest) independent servicer said, "Look, your car has only 8700 miles on it and you keep it in your attached garage. It does not need new brake fluid at this time." I agreed. See you next time!

My MB dealer goes by the book, too. In other words, some items on my MB were over serviced, too.
Regarding your brake fuid flush you got screwed. How could it be a mandatory fluid flush at 2 years for the last 20 years with BMW and then they decide how about 3 years. This happened about the same time "free" maintenance went to 3/36 from 4/48 and they same time your couldn't transfer the maintenance if you sold the car. Brake fluid degrades with exposure to air and heat. I had my 2014 M235 brake fluid changed at 3 years with 10,000 miles on it like the manual says.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 10:20 AM   #18
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

Quote:

Brake fluid is not miles or garage dependant. It should be replaced every 2-3 years, I would change the mechanic

As far as 2 or 3, S2000 manual says 3 years not 2. So I don't think it really matters that much.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 10:52 AM   #19
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13 View Post
Regarding your brake fuid flush you got screwed. How could it be a mandatory fluid flush at 2 years for the last 20 years with BMW and then they decide how about 3 years. This happened about the same time "free" maintenance went to 3/36 from 4/48 and they same time your couldn't transfer the maintenance if you sold the car. Brake fluid degrades with exposure to air and heat. I had my 2014 M235 brake fluid changed at 3 years with 10,000 miles on it like the manual says.
Quote:
Brake fluid is not miles or garage dependant. It should be replaced every 2-3 years, I would change the mechanic

As far as 2 or 3, S2000 manual says 3 years not 2. So I don't think it really matters that much.
As a 50+ year automobile owner, I reject the one-size-fits-all corporate mandated service schedule. Their schedule fails to take into account many factors including how the vehicle is driven; where it is stored; the environment (climate); and often, mileage.

I live in a mild, low humidity climate. My annual driving mileage is below average. I don't race my cars, on the street or otherwise. My garage is temperature stable.

Corporate schedules are hard-wired to be profitable and therefore, are not always in the best interests of the car owner. Sure, over servicing the car isn't going to hurt anything (except your pocketbook), but I resist the regimented company schedules that absolutely do not take into account all of the specific, day-to-day factors of each individual car. Nope, the SA just sits there and taps his finger on the sheet of paper while $miling. See, the company says right here you have to do it.

Now having said that, if I lived in a high humidity climate, and/or drove the car hard, and/or stored the car outdoors, in the rain, and/or towed trailers, etc., heck yeah, I would have the car serviced accordingly, i.e., more frequent service; more extensive service.

I dislike the fact that my former servicing dealers refuse to think. I dislike their inflexibility. I am not a one-size-fits-all customer and I refuse to march in lock-step while giving up thoughtful choice.

https://www.quora.com/How-often-shou...rs-brake-fluid

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 11:23 AM   #20
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep

It's up to you and I am sure brake fluid is not as important as say engine oil. But even just an open brake fluid container should be disregarded in several years, with zero miles on it moisture enters, brake fluid starts to loose it's properties

The way I look at it, paying $40-80 for brake fluid change every 2-3 years guarantees you won't need to replace any $1000s parts later
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
It's up to you and I am sure brake fluid is not as important as say engine oil. But even just an open brake fluid container should be disregarded in several years, with zero miles on it moisture enters, brake fluid starts to loose it's properties

The way I look at it, paying $40-80 for brake fluid change every 2-3 years guarantees you won't need to replace any $1000s parts later
You're lucky regarding the price. It's about $150.00 around these parts.

Yes, servicing intervals are up to me. I back my position on my 50+ years of car ownership. I've owned cars that required annual brake service simply because they wore out brake pads and discs like there was no tomorrow (early Ford Explorer). At the other end of the spectrum is my trusty 1990 Nissan pickup that I bought new. I gave it to my bother 3 years ago this month. At the time, it had 76,000 miles on it and the brakes were all original. I owned it for 24 years. Prior to signing the truck over I had my reputable independent shop give the truck a complete check up and service before its long trip from California to Idaho. I even had the brake fluid replaced. My SA asked me when the last brake fluid change was done and I replied, "It's been so long, I can't remember. Probably 10 years ago."

Well, they replaced the fluid. The mechanic said the old fluid looked good; clean and clear. No leaks anywhere. Truck is good to go.

After 3 years of ownership, my brother had the truck brakes serviced after he noticed a small leak on one of the rear drum brakes. Turned out to be a bad seal on one of the brake cylinders. Again, the fluid was clean and clear. Not bad for a 27 year old truck. And I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the climate in Idaho is dramatically different than where I live in California: really hot, sub-freezing cold, snow, slush, etc.

My remaining contention is that dealer/servicers overly push fluid changes just like the lube rack shops - it's profitable and it's business. And unfortunately, it's very easy for the occasional unscrupulous service shop to cheat. It even happened to my dad back in the late '50's. He faithfully returned his VW microbus to his servicing dealer for lube jobs. About the 3rd year, he couldn't help but notice that the VW suspension still felt stiff after the "service." He returned the car and had it put back up on the rack. Every single zerk fitting was dry. When the technician hit with the grease gun while dad was watching, it took forever to fill the joints. The shop owner was truly embarrassed. I think dad got some free lube jobs after that... and dad always crawled under the car and checked. Really a bummer when you can't trust people.

Unlike many, if not most, folks today, dad and I were competent driveway mechanics. I've rebuilt engines from the crankshaft up; changed clutch disks and release bearings; replaced cylinder heads on fuel injection engines; brake work; replaced radiators; replaced alternators; hoses and on and on.

All that is a dying art today, leaving most car owners at the complete mercy of their car servicer.

Appreciate 1
      09-06-2017, 09:31 PM   #22
wjones14
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I'm with you. This is my first BMW, and BMW of North Haven (CT) couldn't be more accommodating. The sale experience was super pleasant, and the dealership took care of all the details for the Performance Center Delivery in SC.

I've been back to the North Haven dealership twice for the annual maintenance, and both times I felt like I was pampered. My client advisor met me at the dealership entrance the first time, and showed me the way to the service entrance. Everyone else was equally nice and respectful. Both times I waited while the service was done, and both times I was in and out in about an hour.

The car had 7500 miles on it for the second appointment, and they replaced the cabin air filter (because the computer said so) and the wiper blades, even though I never drive in the rain!

It's just a totally different culture compared to the Ford and Chevy dealers I was used to dealing with. I could get used to it.