THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone in LA/OC with a 2-series with modded suspension or an M2?

09-16-2017, 03:14 PM   #1
stevodotorg
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 128i M-Sport 6MT/N52

Anyone in LA/OC with a 2-series with modded suspension or an M2?

I don't know if I should trade out my two series for a one series- I just can't get used to this car. I own an m + track packaged 2 and I just can't wrap my head around how soft the car feels. Coming from an e46, I can only conclude that it's unfortunately unsatisfiying.

Before I go making drastic decisions like selling my car, I thought I would ask around to see if anyone in the Southern California region would allow me to test drive their car. Just someone with a simple M Performance suspension, or Dinan springs. I have also been told the M2 is something I should at least try out for comparison sake.

I don't know how normal it is for someone to ask on the forums for such a request, but perhaps I could take you to lunch for your time.

For the curious, I made a post on reddit recently regarding my situation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BMW/comment...LF&sh=dba1bab2

(Keep in mind my thoughts aren't about power, rather handling and feel)

Thanks fam.

Stevo
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 04:15 PM   #2
DF
Major
Rep
Drives: F23

Are you saying you have a 2er ans don't like the suspension or are thinking about one?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #3
stevodotorg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF View Post
Are you saying you have a 2er ans don't like the suspension or are thinking about one?
I currently own a 6MT 228i with an M-package, and track package.

I am disappointed with the handling of the car. Drove a stock 6MT 135i last weekend and the difference was night and day.

Last edited by stevodotorg; 09-16-2017 at 06:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #4
caycep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
This would be interesting to see. I have a 228i w/ THP, and am pretty satisfied w/ mine, but would be itching to see what the Dinan Shockware and other mods do to it, so far to me it seems a black box and I am not sure the installers have test drive vehicles for them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
stevodotorg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caycep View Post
This would be interesting to see. I have a 228i w/ THP, and am pretty satisfied w/ mine, but would be itching to see what the Dinan Shockware and other mods do to it, so far to me it seems a black box and I am not sure the installers have test drive vehicles for them.
Have you owned any other performance oriented BMW cars before?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #6
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I'm wondering if the standard Msport suspension maybe more your style. Or maybe the M performance suspension.

I'm very pleased with the standard Msport suspension with the Bridgestone s001. There was a big long thread a while back about the different suspensions and how tires effect handling. Look that one up
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 02:46 AM   #7
stevodotorg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
I'm wondering if the standard Msport suspension maybe more your style. Or maybe the M performance suspension.

I'm very pleased with the standard Msport suspension with the Bridgestone s001. There was a big long thread a while back about the different suspensions and how tires effect handling. Look that one up
I have the M-package, does that not the standard Msport suspension you speak of?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #8
englishguy84
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 230i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevodotorg View Post
I have the M-package, does that not the standard Msport suspension you speak of?
Since you also have track pack, you have an adaptive suspension. He's saying you might like the m sport without the adaptive. Personally I don't think it'll make a big difference, because the steering issue will still be there and the suspension is kind of underdamped.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

It's certainly true that the THP alone only does half the work necessary to turn a 228i into a fierce driver's car. Its biggest value to me is as a platform for mods, some of which could not be applied to the non THP-equipped car (or a 4WD for that matter). So, the good news for you did that you have the optimal version of his car for suspension modifications.

I got a Stage 1 engine tune before doing any suspension work and whereas I appreciated the extra power and torque, I still didn't feel I was putting it down on the road directly enough for me; there was too much energy being dissipated in excess body roll under both hard acceleration and braking and understeer was causing me to lift in sweeping corners that an aggressive sports coupe should be able to handle under power. I felt that the car was still insulating me from the driving surface rather than connecting me to it.

I had always budgeted for an aftermarket suspension but it isn't cheap so I went halfway and got the Dinan Shockware mod, which, while good, is not transformational without the Performance Suspension and bump stops.

The eventual suspension replacement I did is by far the most effective and radical mod I've done, including the S1 tune. It is absolutely perfect for me, making the car as aggressive and hair-trigger responsive as I would ever want on the street while not messing with its refined manners. Is it a racing suspension? Probably not; who really wants the complexity of adaptive suspension anyway in a track car (unless it's F1)? This suspension capitalizes on the car's light weight compared to its big brothers; it and the tune shifted the power-to-weight ratio in a way that always brings a smile to my face. Now I feel that every aggressive upshift puts all the torque directly on the road and whereas I do not go around corners sideways (not sure the 228 has the power to unstick its tires anyway) but I am not lifting any more.

I suggest you talk to a really reputable BMW tuner with deep experience of the products available for both engine and suspension mods. This car's weight, balance and design make it a potentially fabulous sports coupe and driver's car but it needs to be woken up. Suspension, even more than engine mods, is the key, although you will want to tune out the stock turbo lag.

Hope this helps.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 10:39 PM   #10
stevodotorg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishguy84 View Post
Since you also have track pack, you have an adaptive suspension. He's saying you might like the m sport without the adaptive. Personally I don't think it'll make a big difference, because the steering issue will still be there and the suspension is kind of underdamped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
It's certainly true that the THP alone only does half the work necessary to turn a 228i into a fierce driver's car. Its biggest value to me is as a platform for mods, some of which could not be applied to the non THP-equipped car (or a 4WD for that matter). So, the good news for you did that you have the optimal version of his car for suspension modifications.

I got a Stage 1 engine tune before doing any suspension work and whereas I appreciated the extra power and torque, I still didn't feel I was putting it down on the road directly enough for me; there was too much energy being dissipated in excess body roll under both hard acceleration and braking and understeer was causing me to lift in sweeping corners that an aggressive sports coupe should be able to handle under power. I felt that the car was still insulating me from the driving surface rather than connecting me to it.

I had always budgeted for an aftermarket suspension but it isn't cheap so I went halfway and got the Dinan Shockware mod, which, while good, is not transformational without the Performance Suspension and bump stops.

The eventual suspension replacement I did is by far the most effective and radical mod I've done, including the S1 tune. It is absolutely perfect for me, making the car as aggressive and hair-trigger responsive as I would ever want on the street while not messing with its refined manners. Is it a racing suspension? Probably not; who really wants the complexity of adaptive suspension anyway in a track car (unless it's F1)? This suspension capitalizes on the car's light weight compared to its big brothers; it and the tune shifted the power-to-weight ratio in a way that always brings a smile to my face. Now I feel that every aggressive upshift puts all the torque directly on the road and whereas I do not go around corners sideways (not sure the 228 has the power to unstick its tires anyway) but I am not lifting any more.

I suggest you talk to a really reputable BMW tuner with deep experience of the products available for both engine and suspension mods. This car's weight, balance and design make it a potentially fabulous sports coupe and driver's car but it needs to be woken up. Suspension, even more than engine mods, is the key, although you will want to tune out the stock turbo lag.

Hope this helps.
The car actually doesn't have adaptive suspension, they later added adaptive suspension to the track package for later model 228i's and the newer 230i. So I simply have the M suspension + blue BBK.

So things may be a little different for me. Wish Dinan would come out with software for that electric steering haha.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #11
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Lowering springs to stiffen the car up a bit and reduce overall travel, M2 LCA upgrade (adds -1.0* camber, and has a steel bushing) to get more camber up front, in turn, adding more feel and "connection" to the road.

Those two mods alone should redirect your concerns, with the 2 series. No need to take such a huge loss, like trading up, just to solve one small problem (which has everything to with with BMW's attempt at making the car "compliant" for 99% of it's users).

Just my $.02
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 12:17 AM   #12
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
The car actually doesn't have adaptive suspension, they later added adaptive suspension to the track package for later model 228i's and the newer 230i. So I simply have the M suspension + blue BBK.

So things may be a little different for me. Wish Dinan would come out with software for that electric steering haha.
What about the variable sport steering? Was that part of the package?

Are you sure you have the track pack and not just the brakes that were offered as a stand alone option?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #13
stevodotorg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
What about the variable sport steering? Was that part of the package?

Are you sure you have the track pack and not just the brakes that were offered as a stand alone option?
No it wasn't. Decode my last 7 vin: VW97998

No variable steering and no adaptive suspension. Though when I do go in to sport options, I feel the steering tighten up about 10-20% more, though barely enough.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #14
stevodotorg
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Lowering springs to stiffen the car up a bit and reduce overall travel, M2 LCA upgrade (adds -1.0* camber, and has a steel bushing) to get more camber up front, in turn, adding more feel and "connection" to the road.

Those two mods alone should redirect your concerns, with the 2 series. No need to take such a huge loss, like trading up, just to solve one small problem (which has everything to with with BMW's attempt at making the car "compliant" for 99% of it's users).

Just my $.02
Very interesting. I have indeed read about the M LCA mod, turner offers a kit that also comes with the parts to realign the headlights as part of it- are you familiar with this?

I do hope there's a way to fix this.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 03:35 AM   #15
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Very interesting. I have indeed read about the M LCA mod, turner offers a kit that also comes with the parts to realign the headlights as part of it- are you familiar with this?

I do hope there's a way to fix this.
Yea the Turner kit is convenient and reasonably priced. I purchased mine from a dealer at a shop rate so worked out similar in price, with our horrid exchange..

I'd suggest it among the Dinan suspension setup. It really should have come that way from BMW, imo, it's not overly harsh and is still plush in comfort mode. The combination gives you a lot more feedback with the road, you'll notice it with lane changes right away..
Appreciate 0