THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum o2 sensor 2, bank 1 issue

01-06-2024, 06:59 AM   #1
davidTelford
Rep
Drives: BMW 220d

o2 sensor 2, bank 1 issue

Hi, Just wondering if anyone has changed o2 sensor 2, bank 1 and is it difficult to get to? Are there any threads on this already? Tried searching but did not find anything (could be me).

Car is a 2015 220d which has started white smoking more. Recently had EGR Cooler replaced under the recall. OBD scanner comes up with the following code and message.

P22AE: Control unit: Engine control unit.
Heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) 2, Bank 1 - Reference voltage - Open Circuit

Also comes up with 284E00

I've cleared codes but they come straight back on as soon as you drive. Sensor 1 is easy from above but I'm guessing sensor 2 has to be done from underneath.

Any advice greatly appreciated as I'm trying to avoid the dealership, although the DTC code was not there before they changed the EGR cooler.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:38 AM   #2
cooolone2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 20' M240iX B58, 01' 330XI E46

Have you checked to make sure the thing is properly connected? Start with the simple solution... Open circuit is one thing, but going from functional to completely non-functional is another. Also, if you have any OBDII reader to check the O2 sensor for laziness, ie, slow response time, that'll usually be a good indicator it's on its way out, etc.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:53 AM   #3
davidTelford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Have you checked to make sure the thing is properly connected? Start with the simple solution... Open circuit is one thing, but going from functional to completely non-functional is another. Also, if you have any OBDII reader to check the O2 sensor for laziness, ie, slow response time, that'll usually be a good indicator it's on its way out, etc.

Good Luck
Thanks for the reply, waiting for a mate who has a car lift to return from his holiday before exploring underneath. Was really after some information on how difficult to get to it. Using 'Car Scanner Pro' OBD2 app on phone which I've set up to live monitoring for o2 sensors when driving. Sensor 1 seems to be working fine but sensor 2 shows no reading at all.

Also wondering if they would have had to access this area when replacing EGR cooler and disconnected or damaged the wiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:12 AM   #4
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

Well you won't know if the wire is disconnected.ir damaged until you look at it. Just follow the wiring to each sensor, the lead on the O2 is usually only maybe 3-6 inches, so there should be a connector there. Following the wiring further into the engine compartment, because that's where it'll go (I don't have a diagram), just trace it with your hand. Check online for O2 wiring diagram for your year/model and I'm sure you'll get a decent picture of where, what, how. No need to worry about under the car for the moment, and a lift isn't needed, just jack the passenger front side of car up and slide under for a quick look... No reason the make a mountain out of a mole hill

Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 09:13 AM   #5
cooolone2
Captain
Rep

And you could bring it back to whomever did the recall work and explain to them what's up and let them take a look...
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 01:42 PM   #6
davidTelford
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooolone2 View Post
Well you won't know if the wire is disconnected.ir damaged until you look at it. Just follow the wiring to each sensor, the lead on the O2 is usually only maybe 3-6 inches, so there should be a connector there. Following the wiring further into the engine compartment, because that's where it'll go (I don't have a diagram), just trace it with your hand. Check online for O2 wiring diagram for your year/model and I'm sure you'll get a decent picture of where, what, how. No need to worry about under the car for the moment, and a lift isn't needed, just jack the passenger front side of car up and slide under for a quick look... No reason the make a mountain out of a mole hill

Good Luck!
Hi, my original post was asking how easy it is to access this sensor. Did not think it would be as easy as just jacking up the car and looking as I thought there would be all sorts of covers that would need removing before access could be gained.

In the UK and its winter and wet, I'd rather wait for my mate and car lift than crawl around on the floor outside as I'm no spring chicken.

I'm already pissed off with the BMW dealership that did the recall. When I took the car in and told them 'Drivetrain' malfunction had come up as a warning and as per the recall letter said, if this symptom came up, to bring it in. They did not do a diagnostic check when they had the car and when picking it up, told me I'd have to pay extra for this to be done. Surely if a warning comes up that they mention could be a symptom of the EGR cooler recall, I'd have thought a diagnostic scan would have been the first thing they would have done.

I've already emailed BMW UK to see what their response is regarding this.

Thanks for the reply.
Appreciate 0