THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Exhaust Valve Flap Actuator squeak is driving me crazy

08-09-2021, 09:41 PM   #1
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Exhaust Valve Flap Actuator squeak is driving me crazy

Its like a part throttle cricket. I cant believe thats where my noise is coming from but if I unplug it open or closed it makes no noise. On comfort its squeaks all the time with minor throttle changes, and sport its less often but it still crickets.

Does the valve open quickly for turbo spoolup even in comfort? Or shut in sport for some reason? Torque or wastegate reasons?

Anyway, I dont know if the valve itself is not sealing properly in the exhaust or if its the actuator itself maybe it blew its bearing and is making the noise?

Anyone else go thru this? Wondering if I need to spray some carb or brake cleaner into the valve to clean it for better sealing or put some grease on the actuator output shaft or spring, or just need to replace the whole actuator.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 12:37 PM   #2
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Lubing the motor did nothing, spraying white grease up the tailpipe did nothing. A nice pea size blob of molly lube on the bearing on the outside of the pipe and all is quiet.

I cant believe how something so easy to fix was so hard to diagnose.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2021, 02:01 PM   #3
ljason8eg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

My flap rattled on the stock exhaust. Shortly after I bought my car I installed the M-Performance Exhaust. That flap started rattling a few months later. I said F it and unplugged the actuator when the flap was open. Glorious silence ever since.

When I go shopping I often hear other later model BMWs with rattling exhausts too so I think it is a very common issue. Most people either ignore it or must be hard of hearing.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2024, 08:39 PM   #4
S55F87
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrboMike View Post
Lubing the motor did nothing, spraying white grease up the tailpipe did nothing. A nice pea size blob of molly lube on the bearing on the outside of the pipe and all is quiet.

I cant believe how something so easy to fix was so hard to diagnose.
I’m having the same issue. I just wanted to clarify what bearing and pipe you’re referring to?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2024, 04:19 PM   #5
Dantesboyz
recovering e36er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Xdrive

Garage List
Program it to stay open, problem solved 😉
To do next list- #1- Wheel Spacers & Tires, #2- B58 TU Pump, #3- Flex Fuel Kit
Appreciate 0