THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics DIY: Remove Phone Cradle & Add USB Connector

08-27-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS3

DIY: Remove Phone Cradle & Add USB Connector

I have no intention of buying a snap-in adapter so I find the cradle useless and takes away needed space in my centre armrest. So, I decided to remove it and put the proper mat insert into the armrest. That is already documented on the F30 board, so I won't repeat those parts of the DIY.

That post is here: http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=31

However, I did want to add access to a USB connector at the front in the centre console. I wanted to use the USB connection that would normally go to the snap-in adapter as an additional USB for connecting my phone or iPod. I didn't want to add it to the glove box either as I wanted it be somewhere where I could access the screen if I needed.

Only two parts needed were the centre console insert: 51 16 9 227 902 and the USB connector (I used the one that would also work for the glove box retrofit): 84 10 9 229 294.

Pretty straightforward steps from there. Plugged the USB connector into the blue connector that went to the snap-in adapter:

I then plugged a 6ft USB extension (M-F) into the USB connector and tucked it back into place (after I got the other end of the cable through the tunnel cover by the passenger seat so I could run it to the front):

I then squeezed the cable under the tunnel cover and ran it through the crease where the tunnel meets the centre console and placed it behind the front storage tray:

Nothing too exciting or overly complicated. It does let me stop using a 12V adapter in the accessory outlet and I will probably clean it up and come up with a better mounting solution for the outlet at some point, but it's the functionality I wanted and the extra storage space is nice.
Appreciate 1
Zooks527309.50
      08-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi BSM

I did this:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/MSV...ionId=42946671

image.jpg

Basically you route usb wire under plastic part by your right thigh and drill small hole in bottom of left cup holder and then fish iPhone plug through that hole and to this mount. Not sure if it'll fit the bigger iPhones as I've got a 5s. No wires showing and just mounts to this cradle.
Attached Images

08-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

That's a cool looking solution. I don't use an iPhone though. I do have an iPod that I sometimes use in the car, but my phone is an Android. Wonder if I can find something similar?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Good question, but looks like that guy is only working on the iPhone models with lightening adapter, not sure how much bigger/smaller the Android connector plug is and also the width of your android for the iPhone. It's possible if you bought a mount made for the iPhone 6 say and the physical phone was same width, then the area the wire plug come through is just a small hole and you glue the phone adapter to that hole to secure it in place, if the android plug is similar size or bigger you'd just have to open the hole a little bit to fit the android plug.

Honestly, all you need is a cupholder mount for your android and instead of using that cigarette lighter for power and connection, just route the android cable from the arm rest to the left cupholder. The bottom of the cupholder comes out, it's a rubber part down there, once that's out you drill out a hole over to the left bottom and put a wire fish down there to pull up the android wire. I did not drill into the armrest area, I just got a black rather than white phone connector and it just comes out the side by the seat belt area until you hide it under the plastic molding by your leg. The cupholder hole would be covered up by your mount and when you return to stock you just put the rubber bottom part back in and it covers that hole you made so nobody is the wiser. Not as slick a solution as you've still got to plug the wire into your phone each time vs. just resting phone on the mount like mine, but still pretty good I'd think.
      08-28-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

I was just thinking that. I already have a cupholder mount that's quite good (the Belkin one you can see in the last picture). I just wish it was a tad shorter, that's all. Probably serves my purpose for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Realized I didn't actually post a picture of the arm rest without the snap-on cradle holder:

As well, cleaned up the actual cable install (it's less obtrusive than it looks in this pic). Just have to get a shorter microUSB cable and it will be pretty inconspicuous.

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2016, 09:35 PM   #7
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog26372 View Post
Basically you route usb wire under plastic part by your right thigh and drill small hole in bottom of left cup holder and then fish iPhone plug through that hole and to this mount. Not sure if it'll fit the bigger iPhones as I've got a 5s. No wires showing and just mounts to this cradle.
Looks like a very neat solution. How long of a cable do you need? 6'? Any trouble fitting a none standard Apple cable into the dock?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 08:15 AM   #8
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

How many mAh does this charge at?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Quote:
I did this:
http://www.shapeways.com/product/MSV...ionId=42946671

image.jpg

Just ordered one of these, thanks for the tip. I use the Belkin cupholder mount today and that works well too, just a bit more bulky. I like the low profile look of this option.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 10:03 AM   #10
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
How many mAh does this charge at?
Looks like 560.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #11
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleslie View Post
Looks like a very neat solution. How long of a cable do you need? 6'? Any trouble fitting a none standard Apple cable into the dock?
I'm not really sure on length of cable, but 6 feet would be more than enough, maybe even too long. Basically measure from the usb in the armrest over to the left cupholder and add maybe a 1-1.5 feet for the drop down from the armrest to where you tuck in under the plastic cover by your leg.

As long as the lightening plug plastic part is same size as the Apple one it'll fit snug, which is what you want and then just glue it in place so it doesn't push down when you dock your phone.

Be careful to drill the hole more towards the bottom than the side, this way you can cover it up later with that rubber bottom part from BMW that's already in there.

I'll take a pick tonight after work to show where I drilled.
      08-29-2016, 11:28 AM   #12
JohnnyCanuck
Major
Canada
Rep

I used 6 ft from the snap-in connector (which is at the heating/cooling vent for the rear seats) to the the centre stack and easily had slack (probably about a foot).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I just got a black rather than white phone connector and it just comes out the side by the seat belt area until you hide it under the plastic molding by your leg. The cupholder hole would be covered up by your mount and when you return to stock you just put the rubber bottom part back in and it covers that hole you made so nobody is the wiser. Not as slick a solution as you've still got to plug the wire into your phone each time vs. just resting phone on the mount like mine, but still pretty good I'd think.
Do you know the brand/model of the black lightning cable that worked with the Shapeways insert? I have the insert and it is designed for the white Apple cable connector and seems to be very tight fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 08:27 PM   #14
kdog26372
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleslie View Post
Do you know the brand/model of the black lightning cable that worked with the Shapeways insert? I have the insert and it is designed for the white Apple cable connector and seems to be very tight fit.
No I searched my Amazon account and I must not have purchased it there, so no idea. But, yes it is supposed to be a very tight fit and then you glue it in place. I think most none apple cables would be about the exact same size. You could also just use some black electrical tape for the 6 inch section that would show coming down from the armrest to the plastic cover by your leg.
      09-04-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
Sleslie
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks for looking into it. Electrical tape is a good idea, I think that's what I'll do.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
Grentz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5 40i G05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grentz View Post
Just ordered one of these, thanks for the tip. I use the Belkin cupholder mount today and that works well too, just a bit more bulky. I like the low profile look of this option.
Just got mine and did a write up:
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...0#post20553240

I used the standard white apple cable and it was the perfect length/fit.
Past09' e90 335d, 11' E70 X5d, 16' F22 M235xi
Appreciate 0