THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Car washing anyone?

06-20-2017, 12:48 PM   #1
cloewe08
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i, 2003 MB S600 V12TT

Car washing anyone?

I just picked up my 2017 M240i and have had it for nearly a week! What does everyone recommend for car washing/waxing?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 12:56 PM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloewe08 View Post
I just picked up my 2017 M240i and have had it for nearly a week! What does everyone recommend for car washing/waxing?
http://adamspolishes.com/

But, I never wax...Opticoat Pro or CQuartz once when new....then just some H2O Guard and Gloss after a hand wash.

Looks like you're about 10 minutes away from me. Feel free to PM for more info.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
Y0tsuya77.00
      06-20-2017, 05:10 PM   #3
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

There is also sub forum for this

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=576

Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax: Every week or every other week.

Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax: Once a month.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #4
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Jay Leno's Garage Advanced Vehicle Care.
This is a great kit.
https://www.lenosgarage.com/collecti...hicle-care-kit

For interior I use microfiber rags and Zymol Vinyl or water only.

For wheels I'd get a cheaper but quality car wash or P21 Wheel Cleaner, and a dedicated small sponge or cotton applicator pad
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #5
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Generally wash with Maguires's Ultimate "Wash & Wax" every time the car gets a bit dirty. Quick easy and puts some protection on the car each time I do a quick wash.

When I wax, I use a good Carnauba wax (only). A good coat will last a year only requires a simple reapplication when it starts to wear off. The Nano synthetic stuff requires a strip and reapplication after a few years (PITA IMO).

A good carnauba wax (Mother's, Maguire's Gold Class) works great, easy to apply, and buff off. Leaves a great protective finish too.

On long trips I usually double or triple wax front end so I can use a cleaner to get bugs off each evening. 409 works great (actually better than any bug and tar remover I've tried in the past). usually finish with a little soapy water rinse to get any reside off the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Optima no rinse works great if the car is not too dirty. I use their car wash when the car does get dirty which is rare.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Optima no rinse works great if the car is not too dirty. I use their car wash when the car does get dirty which is rare.
+1 to ONR if the car isn't really dirty. Depending on your living situation it is a terrific alternative to using public car washes. The only thing that sucks is doing the wheels. It can still do it but it just takes longer.

I still use a hose to wash if I can and I use a spray wax after most every wash if I have time and use a regular was in the spring and late fall. Spray waxes are a great way to keep wax in the car most of the time without spending a lot of additional time.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
Marmugmotleocay
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3M Competition

Chemical Guys snow foam and Griots polish and wax.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 07:35 AM   #9
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Check out Griot's Garage website...full line of everything for car care. I use their car wash concentrate, wash mitt, drying towels, paint cleaning clay, paint sealant, wax, orbital polisher pads, and leather care products. 4+ years old, my F30 still looks and smells like new inside and out. Meguiar's and Mother's also make good cleaning/waxing products if Griot's is above your budget.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00
      06-21-2017, 07:57 AM   #10
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

Detailersdomain.com (shameless plug for Phil)

And, of course, there's the giant that's become Autogeek.net.

I use Optimum Car Wash cuz I love the smell! 2-bucket method, microfiber, etc.

As recommended by an X5/X6 forum member, Jescar Power Lock sealant, because it's quick and easy.

I'm gonna try out the Sonax Polymer Net Shield sealant as soon as I get a no-rain weekend and do some paint correction.

Try not to get too OCD with washing/waxing, cuz that's time spent not driving your 2er.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 10:06 AM   #11
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

2-Bucket system only, here (black car). Only when I'm feeling lazy I'll pop into a touchless wash. Use a soap of choice, good microfiber drying towel and detailing cloths. I usually do a quick dry, let the left over water dry/evaporate then go over it with a quick detailer spray and microfiber to clean up the water spots.

I usually clay bay my car(s) twice a year, one between spring/summer and the other prior to storage. Usually at that point a polisher and compound come into play, which keeps the paint looking new. Washing/waxing is merely maintaining all of the prep work, prior to. Most new cars have lots of room for improvement when it comes to polishing, but at this point I'd pay a pro to do it, it's not a fun task by-hand!

D
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:13 AM   #12
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, that I use a car blow drier to sheet the majority of the water off the car and blow water from behind license plate, mirrors, trunk lids, etc, then followup with Mirco fiber towels.

I've used an electric leaf blower and now have a dedicated car blower, but in all honesty, Leaf blower worked just fine although a bit ungainly.

You'd be amazed at how little water is left to wipe up using a blower initially.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 11:59 AM   #13
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Over the past year or so I've dabbled more into quality detailing. Here is my routine:

Pressure wash to get the initial dirt/grime off.
Chemical guys snow foam (if you don't have a pressure washer Adam's Polishes has a great foam cannon for $40)
Sonax or Adam's wheel cleaner
Tough spots I'll hit with an all purpose cleaner, again Adam's has a great one
Two bucket method with grit guards to limit swirls/scratches
Waffle weave towels to dry the car (Rag company sells some for cheap and great quality)
Glass cleaner, typically Adam's because every single mystery box seems to have one in there.
VRT from Adam's for the tires so there is no sling onto the body work
Sonax wheel shield, trust me, this really helps with the brake dust
Kenotec detail spray to get a great shine and anti static protection
Interior I use Adam's interior spray because it's a matte finish

For waxing and sealants I've bounced around products:
Sealant: Carpro hydro 2
Wax I'm working through some Americana from Adam's. Super easy to apply.

Any how feel free to explore some different brands. It's kind of fun to see how certain products compare to others. Detailers domain is a great company to pick up product from and get recommendations as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 12:03 PM   #14
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I use Griots products; they work well and are easy to order, not terribly pricey. Get a wash mitt or square, and another rag or separate mitt for the really grimy parts (lower body, wheels). Good 100% cotton towels or a specific microfiber to dry them (wife may appreciate an excuse to get new towels). I use the spray-on wax detailer at most every wash (spray on wet, water blade off the excess and then buff dry); I cut it to about 50% strength beforehand w/ distilled water and it goes farther - you just mix it with the water on the car anyway. I use their Poly Wax sealant at least 1x/year and it lasts very well (I'm not energetic enough to replace real wax on a monthly basis). Be careful that you know the diff between wax and polish - polish is abrading the clear coat some, and if your car is still real nice it isn't necessary (there is only a few microns of paint on these); same for clay bar - it will leave some swirls, so best to wait until you really feel you need it. Best to wash/buff/wipe along the body lines, rather than in little circles to avoid swirl marks.

Don't let the dealership touch it (or the coed carwashes, etc.). They never use clean water, and the dirt in their water will leave those circular swirl marks. The waterless or rinse-free washes scare the crap out of me, for this same reason, but some people swear by them. Also you want to hose off the ground around it, tire treads, and inside wheel wells before you start, or else the crap gets splattered back onto your clean car.
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2017, 02:33 PM   #15
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Certainly living in a private home w/ driveway, hose hook-up w/nozzles, bucket w/ soapy water and the time to do it makes live so much easier. Cannot imagine how difficult it is if living in a apartment of condo.

Many a morning, w/ nothing else to do, I'l wander into the garage and hit the hood, roof and boot w/ a quick detailer and wipe the front wheels down.

Honestly, the hardest thing I find to keep clean are the windows. No matter what I use or how many times I wipe them down with "Invisible Glass" and then buff with a wash clothe, when I'd get the sun hitting the windshield just right I see all these smears and wipe marks.

Going way back to the 60;s there was a product called "Bon Ami", you applied it w/ a moist towel and it was like baking soda going on.. Let it dry and buff it off and the windows were spotless. Only downside was the white powder residue after the buff.

Just waxing nostalgic. No pun intended.................
Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00
      06-21-2017, 02:47 PM   #16
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm a huge fan of the 'Junkman video series'. He has a great one on window washing that really helped my technique. Seems over simple, but one key is using a LOT of washer fluid, and those spade-shaped washers for the inside glass (got mine at Walmart for about half the cost of Griots). I still haven't broken down to buy specialized microfiber wipes, but get good results with paper towels if I load up with washer and really get all the crud off first. Still working on how to avoid bashing into the nav screen, but I haven't torn it off the dash yet.....
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 02:53 PM   #17
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Chemical Guys 2 bucket system with their foam gun and snow foam or Mr pink soap.

Every month, I seal it with washcoat. Spray wax to keep shine as needed.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 09:20 PM   #18
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

CQuartz finest and never have to wax. Wash and detail spray for maintenance.
      06-21-2017, 10:15 PM   #19
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post

Honestly, the hardest thing I find to keep clean are the windows. No matter what I use or how many times I wipe them down with "Invisible Glass" and then buff with a wash clothe, when I'd get the sun hitting the windshield just right I see all these smears and wipe marks.
Yeah, windows are a beyotch. A lot of people end up smearing around the "offgas" residue on the inside of the windshield, where you really need to degrease it first. 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol, then cleaner of your choice. Hot tip: Wipe off the inside laterally and the outside with up and down motions...that way it's easy to identify where the streak/smear is.

A super clean windshield really adds to the enjoyment of driving the car. Can't wait for the new car with fresh glass, versus my 167K-mile daily driver with what I call the "planetarium" windshield...seemingly billions and billions of micro pits that are especially annoying when you're driving into a setting/rising sun.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:12 AM   #20
snaketh
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT

For glass I've used autoglym glass polish with really good results. It doesn't smear and it smells really good. I find invisible glass smears and smells bad.

autoglym super resin polish is also decent, it's very mild polish and coupled with meguiars or another decent wax offers a deep shine.

Amazon is a good spot to buy microfiber cloths and sponge applicators for cheap.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 05:51 AM   #21
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
Yeah, windows are a beyotch. A lot of people end up smearing around the "offgas" residue on the inside of the windshield, where you really need to degrease it first. 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol, then cleaner of your choice. Hot tip: Wipe off the inside laterally and the outside with up and down motions...that way it's easy to identify where the streak/smear is.

A super clean windshield really adds to the enjoyment of driving the car. Can't wait for the new car with fresh glass, versus my 167K-mile daily driver with what I call the "planetarium" windshield...seemingly billions and billions of micro pits that are especially annoying when you're driving into a setting/rising sun.
Use a magic eraser to remove the film caused by the out gassing of the plasticizers contained in the dash. Then use a glass cleaner without ammonia. I do this in my detailing business. No film.
Appreciate 3
      06-22-2017, 10:29 AM   #22
rightrudder
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Use a magic eraser to remove the film caused by the out gassing of the plasticizers contained in the dash. Then use a glass cleaner without ammonia. I do this in my detailing business. No film.
I'll give that a try. Thx!
Appreciate 1
Miata1387.00