THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Evaluating a M235i Purchase

06-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
ratherbbankin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1997 Ford F-150

Evaluating a M235i Purchase

I realize that I'm going to get very biased opinions here, but I'm trying to talk myself into spending more money than I ever have on a vehicle and just want to not be so nervous about doing so.

I recently sold my early model e90 335i that I was absolutely in love with, despite all the "kinks" that needed working out. It was by far the best car I've ever owned and made me into a BMW fan. I hated to get rid of it, but needed the money as I was unemployed and had a 2nd vehicle to get me around. Fast forward some months and I am now gainfully employed and looking to get back into a BMW. I've been spending countless hours researching what I'd like and have jumped between a 535i, 550i, 335i, 435i, and have now landed on a 235i. I'm fairly young, no kids, no need for 4 doors, and looking for a good combination of luxury and performance in a daily driver that will mostly be carrying me too and from my suit job, with some more spirited weekend driving. After starting my search I noticed there aren't that many 235i examples for sale relative to other models. I'm assuming they are just a very niche vehicle and too small for most people. Anyway, I've recently found one that is a super clean inside and out 2015 model in the exact color combo I'm looking for, with average miles for the year, and very well optioned. By all measures, the price is excellent, especially considering there are only a dozen or so for sale within 500 miles of me. However, it is certainly not an inexpensive car. I'd like to hear from owners or anyone who has experience with this car. What are your thoughts? Are you happy with your decision to own this vehicle? Would you go back and do it the same way? What have your other than regular maintenance issues been? Overall cost of ownership? How do you feel they will hold their value over time? Are there any "required" aftermarket tuning or bits to be added? Overall feelings? Thanks in advance for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
If you can afford it and are looking for another BMW, the 2 Series is an excellent choice, especially if you're looking for a fun to drive coupe or convertible. I am not aware of any issues or reasons to stay away from it. If modding is your thing, there are lots of fun options out there depending on your tastes, desires and bank account. If you don't want to mod it, it's a great car as is from the factory. As to depreciation - it depreciates just like any other late model car and only time will tell if it does better or worse than average. I have no regrets and most folks on this forum would say the same thing. Best of luck as you make your decision.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
esp260
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport 6MT

I was in the same boat as you when selecting a vehicle, I wanted a sporty/luxury car as a present to myself after graduating and landing a job. First I'd like to say that I am extremely happy with the car so far. From what you described above, the 235i would be perfect for all of your needs. It's obviously a great driver's car, it suits your suit job, and it's fairly reliable (will go back on this later).

I wouldn't change anything if I were to go back, I am extremely happy with my purchase. Then again, I am leasing the vehicle so I went into it knowing that I would return it and get a new car in 3 years. I'm just past the 2 year mark and I find myself wanting to go back to a sedan. I could be wrong, but most people on this forum sound like they have their 2-series as a second vehicle. I don't have the luxury yet of owning multiple vehicles and sometimes find it annoying when I need to drive anyone around. My next vehicle will probably be the 440i GC.

I would be afraid to own the car out of warranty. For the most part, most people have had positive experiences and I haven't yet stumbled across any owners with consistent issues on their 2-series. So far through ownership, I've taken my car for: warped rotors, leaking rear differential, I-Drive malfunction, and "Drivetrain malfunction" error message. All these were covered under warranty, but I'd hate to have to pay for these when it runs out.

For aftermarket parts, I'd say the most popular are JB4 piggyback tune, MPE exhaust, and cosmetic additions (lip spoiler, black kidney grills, spoler, etc.).

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
Motorsport_235i
Banned
Rep
Drives: M235i

If it doesnt have the premium package dont buy it !!
i feel that its a must !!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
ratherbbankin
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the opinions. I can definitely afford it, but I just hate the idea of taking that much of a depreciation hit. I really don't know if the enjoyment I get out of it will be worth getting half what I pay for it in 4 years if I'm lucky.

It has about 14 months left on the factory warranty, and I will certainly be looking for an aftermarket warranty when it runs out. I had $10k in covered repair costs on my E90, N54. That warranty was the best $2,500 I've ever spent.

Not really looking to mod it, but was just curious if there was anything that the collective deemed essential.

It has Premium, Tech, Driver's assistance, Heated Seats, Nav, and HK sound. Pretty loaded.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #6
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbbankin View Post
Thanks for the opinions. I can definitely afford it, but I just hate the idea of taking that much of a depreciation hit. I really don't know if the enjoyment I get out of it will be worth getting half what I pay for it in 4 years if I'm lucky.

It has about 14 months left on the factory warranty, and I will certainly be looking for an aftermarket warranty when it runs out. I had $10k in covered repair costs on my E90, N54. That warranty was the best $2,500 I've ever spent.

Not really looking to mod it, but was just curious if there was anything that the collective deemed essential.

It has Premium, Tech, Driver's assistance, Heated Seats, Nav, and HK sound. Pretty loaded.
I'm assuming this is a brand new car and not a CPO that you are shopping for? Have you tried looking into used models so you wouldn't have to take the depreciation hit?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
CO_Steve
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 Dinan S1 MT Slicktop

I've had mine for a couple of months. For me the biggest plus is the broad range of personalities this car has. With the push of a button it can go from comfy highway cruiser, eco fuel saver, to tire shredding monster. I can get 35mpg cruising at 65 or spin the rear tires in the first few gears.
Yea, it's not a big car but sounds perfect for your needs.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:46 PM   #8
esp260
Private First Class
Rep

Another suggestion, have you considered the Subaru WRX/STI? It sounds like you are concerned about the resale value and the WRX/STI are known to hold their value quite well. You'd still be getting a great performance car and I believe the higher trims have the option for leather seats too.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 02:53 PM   #9
ratherbbankin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esp260 View Post
I'm assuming this is a brand new car and not a CPO that you are shopping for? Have you tried looking into used models so you wouldn't have to take the depreciation hit?
This is a 2015 and it is not being sold CPO.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:00 PM   #10
ratherbbankin
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Another suggestion, have you considered the Subaru WRX/STI? It sounds like you are concerned about the resale value and the WRX/STI are known to hold their value quite well. You'd still be getting a great performance car and I believe the higher trims have the option for leather seats too.
I have not thought about the WRX/STI. If I decide not to purchase this particular car I'm considering, I'll take a serious look at them.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:25 PM   #11
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

If your nervous about the purchase, don't do it. Initial price, maintenance, depreciation - whatever your concerns are...why put yourself through the hassle? And it's primarily a daily commuter car, so why not get something less expensive, longer factory warranty. Certainly nothing wrong with saving money by getting something in a different price range.

I've had my 235 for three years, only option were metallic paint, back-up camera parking sensors, and xenon-lighting (I think lights were an option). I've gone through six tires in that time. No warranty work. The overall size of car, engine and manual transmission are why I bought the car and not really sure any other car could have delivered on those factors.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
If your nervous about the purchase, don't do it. Initial price, maintenance, depreciation - whatever your concerns are...why put yourself through the hassle? And it's primarily a daily commuter car, so why not get something less expensive, longer factory warranty. Certainly nothing wrong with saving money by getting something in a different price range.
You can find a nicely equipped brand new GTI for around $20K. For the money that's impossible to beat for something that's a decent "drivers car" and very versatile. Hell drive it for a few years and keep the damn thing to use as a beater / support vehicle once you get something else.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

Quote:
I recently sold my early model e90 335i that I was absolutely in love with, despite all the "kinks" that needed working out. It was by far the best car I've ever owned and made me into a BMW fan.

My first BMW was an early model e90 335i also. If you loved that car (I loved mine) then you will be very happy with a 2 series. I can't speak for the 235i, since I have a 228i, but... I was thinking about this today while driving and I think my 228i is far superior than the early model e90. Exception being the 335i obviously having more power than my 228i. Even though im lacking 2 cylinders, the 228i is overall more fun to drive to me. 235i should be even better!

Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #14
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You can find a nicely equipped brand new GTI for around $20K. For the money that's impossible to beat for something that's a decent "drivers car" and very versatile. Hell drive it for a few years and keep the damn thing to use as a beater / support vehicle once you get something else.
Fiesta/Focus St are right there in that segment as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #15
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I could be wrong, but most people on this forum sound like they have their 2-series as a second vehicle.
This is a very good point. You have to get something that suits your needs, not necessarily wants. I think that that is a fairly accurate statement that most here have more than one vehicle. I have my 4 door Wrangler and a utility trailer to do the dirty work.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdcoast228i View Post
This is a very good point. You have to get something that suits your needs, not necessarily wants. I think that that is a fairly accurate statement that most here have more than one vehicle. I have my 4 door Wrangler and a utility trailer to do the dirty work.
My 235 vert is my "main" car but GF's 3 diesel lives with it in the garage and dad's 328 dinan wagon is 5 miles away.

2 is a little tough if it's really your only option. You can get by but if it's a hassle and more than you want to spend there are a LOT of other good options out there.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep

I bet that wagon is very useful!

Similarly I have my dad's 1998 eyesore, I mean Chevrolet pick up truck In my driveway also. It's not pretty but it runs good.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 07:45 PM   #18
quadpipes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 IB,'16 F22 M235i EB

To answer some of your questions, I am very happy with my M235i and would not do it any differently (I have EB with Oyster Sensatec and no other options.) It is my DD (I am also fortunate enough to have an E92 M3 as my therapy car). I am 6'2" and the seating area in my 2 is slightly bigger than my M3. The 2 is highly spirited, very tight, maneuverable and fun to drive and is a real looker. I did swap the 18" wheels for 19"s (BBS CH-R, staggered, wth MPSS tires). I also added tint and a clear bra. I have had no issues whatsoever with the car. Good luck and keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 09:14 PM   #19
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Three years in, the M235i has proven way, way more reliable than early 335i's. One thing you probably won't like better on the 235i is the steering feel. I drove a 335i with sport package back in 2010 and I can still remember how impressive the steering was. Not so much on my 240. I still have no regrets. This car is such a sleeper with the JB4.
      06-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #20
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
TBH, since you're just getting back into things, why not consider a 2011-2013 135i or 135is? You'd save a few bucks and get a bit more of a raw feeling. Some prefer the looks of the 2 over the 1. I think it's a wash. Plus with you saving a few dollars, that frees up money for mods which you would undoubtedly want to do. I am considering an M2, but didn't feel the M235i was enough of an upgrade over the 135i to justify the higher cost. With that said, these are all awesome cars and you won't be disappointed with any of your choices.
Appreciate 1
      06-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #21
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGM135is View Post
TBH, since you're just getting back into things, why not consider a 2011-2013 135i or 135is? You'd save a few bucks and get a bit more of a raw feeling. Some prefer the looks of the 2 over the 1. I think it's a wash. Plus with you saving a few dollars, that frees up money for mods which you would undoubtedly want to do. I am considering an M2, but didn't feel the M235i was enough of an upgrade over the 135i to justify the higher cost. With that said, these are all awesome cars and you won't be disappointed with any of your choices.
All true but if you stick with a 235 it will still be under warranty and you can pay to CPO it if you want up to 100K. Sometimes spending A LITTLE more now saves a LOT more later.

I personally wouldn't own this car without a warranty. Not a 235 obvs but GF's 328 just needed a new rear diff and transfer case. That's a $6k job. Thank god we CPO'd it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #22
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Quote:
I have not thought about the WRX/STI. If I decide not to purchase this particular car I'm considering, I'll take a serious look at them.
The bimmer is much better looking than a WRX IMO. I consider them fast cars but not very stylish.
Appreciate 0