THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone tried PedalBox recently?

06-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
ExZHP
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i MSport

Anyone tried PedalBox recently?

I am kind of intrigued by PedalBox device and consider installing it on my 228i to minimize turbo lag. I know it doesn't increase the actual engine power, but I am looking for ways to make my car even more fun and it seems like a quick and relatively cheap way to do it. I have read some threads online but all were a few years old. Was wondering if anyone had it installed more recently and more specifically, on the N20 engine, as I am still adjusting from the I-6 on my previous car to the turbo 4.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Honestly I'm skeptical. I haven't looked closely but this thing appears to operate by remapping the throttle. So really all it's doing is making 50% physical throttle seem like 75% to the DME, which really is what sport mode does already. It won't reduce turbo lag but might lessen the perceived effects. Alternatively, pressing the throttle really quick would probably do the same. That's my hot take.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 04:01 AM   #3
3rdcoast228i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Msport

I agree with the above post.

I don't have any lag in Sport mode.

The lag is minimal in comfort... yeah in comfort you know it's a turbo motor, but honestly I think people make a bigger deal out of it than what it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #4
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

I would be happy with it if it could just create a normal linear throttle response in all driving modes. Unfortunately, video game throttle mapping seems to be the popular choice for most folks.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think the throttle mapping is linear in comfort (and the full bore sport ++ w/o DSC). Could be wrong, but that's what I recall. That would have absolutely no effect upon turbo lag, other than whatever microsecond difference there is to get your foot all the way to the floor - but perhaps there is more at work here. These cars are so smart that they may change turbo settings some in sport mode (I believe these use a dual-vane technology, and if it is the one that alters airflow into the turbo it could easily affect turbo lag). None of this would be expected to come from an aftermarket throttle box; better to save up and get a real add-on tune if you want something hotter.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

You need to get used to the power delivery. Smashing the throttle not as good as easing into it and letting the Turbo spoil up a bit before hitting it, downshift etc. Also $300 for mini Dinan is a pretty solid value prop. I put the real one on my 328 wagon and it made a world of difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #7
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
You need to get used to the power delivery. Smashing the throttle not as good as easing into it and letting the Turbo spoil up a bit before hitting it, downshift etc. Also $300 for mini Dinan is a pretty solid value prop. I put the real one on my 328 wagon and it made a world of difference.
I'll second the Dinan SPORTronics module recommendation -- I have one on my car. It does reduce turbo lag because of the raised PSI boost at almost all engine speeds and throttle positions. This is most evident on the Sport and Sport+ settings.

However, it does NOT change the throttle mapping. The car pulls better in Comfort, but only after the soft, linear throttle response has been acknowledged by the car. Because Comfort defaults to lower RPMs and higher gears, the SPORTronics module only raises the boost 'baseline' at those engine speeds and gear selections.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:04 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:
I'll second the Dinan SPORTronics module recommendation -- I have one on my car. It does reduce turbo lag because of the raised PSI boost at almost all engine speeds and throttle positions. This is most evident on the Sport and Sport+ settings.

However, it does NOT change the throttle mapping. The car pulls better in Comfort, but only after the soft, linear throttle response has been acknowledged by the car. Because Comfort defaults to lower RPMs and higher gears, the SPORTronics module only raises the boost 'baseline' at those engine speeds and gear selections.
I mean if it were my car I'd spend the $1k to get warranty coverage but that's a different conversation we don't need to beat to death again.

The $300 deal gives you most but not all of the functionality. And in the event of issue at least you're dealing with someone that has a legit relationship w BMW.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      06-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I have the Sprint Booster V3 which accomplishes the same thing as the Pedal Box, but with even more ability to fine tune the throttle control. I can attest to the fact that increasing throttle response via these throttle enhancers certainly does cause a quicker, more rapid turbo spool. It is very evident by watching my Torque app and listening to my M2 lower airbox whistle away. The only downside I see to the throttle enhancer is that in my 6MT car, you can tell that the DME isn't fully happy with the increased throttle response at initial throttle application. It makes leaving in 1st smoothly and executing a 1-2 shift smoothly even more difficult than stock. In an auto, this wouldn't be a problem.

I got the Sprint Booster because I wanted throttle control that was somewhere between the Comfort and Sport throttle settings.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Forget turbo lag.. I had to stomp on it yesterday to merge into traffic from an idle. It felt like an eternity for the car to start moving. This was in comfort mode and it felt like there was no fuel getting to the engine.
      06-23-2017, 09:52 AM   #11
ExZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:

Unfortunately, here in California, Dinan SPORTronics is not yet approved for emissions. And as I understand, neither is pretty much anything else besides full Dinan tune.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExZHP View Post
Unfortunately, here in California, Dinan SPORTronics is not yet approved for emissions. And as I understand, neither is pretty much anything else besides full Dinan tune.
How old is your car, as in when is the in service date? Not typically one to tell others how to spend their money but since the full stage 1 is approved and you get 48 mos of warranty throwing an extra $1K may not be the worst idea ever. If your factory warranty is almost up though that's a completely different story.

You MAY have some luck calling Dinan and asking to purchase the full tune without warranty if that's of interest to you. A lot of the $ you spend is for that coverage. You will notice some of the older tunes drop in price BIG TIME once the cars they were designed for are old enough to be outside of manufacturers warranty.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

I'd love to get Sport+ throttle response with DSC off. It makes the car feel alive, imo.. I just don't like the intervention of the nannies in Sport+ or I'd use that most of the time. DSC or Sport(chassis) are the only two settings I use.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 11:35 PM   #14
ExZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:
How old is your car, as in when is the in service date? Not typically one to tell others how to spend their money but since the full stage 1 is approved and you get 48 mos of warranty throwing an extra $1K may not be the worst idea ever. If your factory warranty is almost up though that's a completely different story.

You MAY have some luck calling Dinan and asking to purchase the full tune without warranty if that's of interest to you. A lot of the $ you spend is for that coverage. You will notice some of the older tunes drop in price BIG TIME once the cars they were designed for are old enough to be outside of manufacturers warranty.
It's 2014, so I have less than a year of factory warranty left. Do you recommend I wait a bit closer toward the end of the warranty to install the Dinan and try getting a discount with them?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 12:27 AM   #15
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

I have the Pedalbox in my M235i. I don't think you can do anything for the turbo lag itself but somehow it does seem to help with the ECU lag or whatever it does between the time you stomp the gas to when it decides to open the throttle. Maybe the remapped curve gives it more "urgency" then you can do with your foot alone.

I use it in conjunction with drivetrain option turned off in sport mode. This way I get the same throttle mapping in both comfort and sport, with the only difference being the chassis setting. This really helps my heel-and-toeing because different throttle mappings throw me off. The drivetrain option also boosts the annoying fake engine sound so being able to turn it off is a win.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2017, 01:23 AM   #16
ExZHP
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0tsuya View Post
I have the Pedalbox in my M235i. I don't think you can do anything for the turbo lag itself but somehow it does seem to help with the ECU lag or whatever it does between the time you stomp the gas to when it decides to open the throttle. Maybe the remapped curve gives it more "urgency" then you can do with your foot alone.

I use it in conjunction with drivetrain option turned off in sport mode. This way I get the same throttle mapping in both comfort and sport, with the only difference being the chassis setting. This really helps my heel-and-toeing because different throttle mappings throw me off. The drivetrain option also boosts the annoying fake engine sound so being able to turn it off is a win.
So are you happy with it overall? I see you are in Bay Area too, perhaps you could recommend some installers? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2017, 05:17 PM   #17
Y0tsuya
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i 6MT, 2016 340i 8AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExZHP View Post
So are you happy with it overall? I see you are in Bay Area too, perhaps you could recommend some installers? Thanks
I like it. I drive in comfort mode most of the time now until I'm ready to do some cornering then switch to sport mode for suspension stiffening without any change in throttle response.

Installation is pretty simple and you can DIY. Just remove the accelerator pedal and plug the pedalbox in-line. I had to fiddle with the pedal a bit because I wasn't sure how to slide it on/off the bracket. Then just find some place to stash the extra-long controller cable and you're done.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #18
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

Quote:

I'm guessing you probably got harder on the throttle with the extra boost, but how much did it affect your mpg? Do you think you can achieve the same mpg as before the module, if you wanted, with it?
      06-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #19
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabu2 View Post
I'm guessing you probably got harder on the throttle with the extra boost, but how much did it affect your mpg? Do you think you can achieve the same mpg as before the module, if you wanted, with it?
Not necessarily. Depending on the situation, i'm actually a little less hard on the throttle and MPG is a little better. That's the beauty of having more boost ready more often -- you don't need to jab the throttle as much and waste gas.
Appreciate 1
crabu2141.50
      06-27-2017, 09:46 AM   #20
mdputnam
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i & M235i Convertibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
I'd love to get Sport+ throttle response with DSC off. It makes the car feel alive, imo.. I just don't like the intervention of the nannies in Sport+ or I'd use that most of the time. DSC or Sport(chassis) are the only two settings I use.
Yes I'll agree it's great fun, but with all the nannys turned off you need to control the car with all the available car control techniques including throttle steering which is very difficult to do with a nonliner throttle response. If you like to drive without computer intervention, and haven't done so already, I would encourage everyone to attend a performance driving school like BMW's two day Performance Driving class, it's great fun and you can practice car control techniques in a safe environment.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #21
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdputnam View Post
Yes I'll agree it's great fun, but with all the nannys turned off you need to control the car with all the available car control techniques including throttle steering which is very difficult to do with a nonliner throttle response. If you like to drive without computer intervention, and haven't done so already, I would encourage everyone to attend a performance driving school like BMW's two day Performance Driving class, it's great fun and you can practice car control techniques in a safe environment.
I drive with DSC off most of the time anyway, and the car has LSD which only works well with DSC off.. I just want faster throttle response from the pedal input so I can rotate the car better mid turn, and to be sharper, overall, than how it's mapped in "DSC off " mode. I'm also used to sim racing GT3/1 cars which have very high throttle sensitivity and very little input is required to throttle out of a corner, but no forgiveness for accidental WOT moments, so with over 15,000 hours in the simulator I feel pretty confident with a "desensitized" road car that handles as well as the F22. If my pedal input is 50% I want 50% throttle, I feel I'm not getting this with "DSC off", but it could be a placebo, IDK..

Primary reason for me to want something like this is that this car has lots of grip with a 255 section PSS, even on the street and the sport+ throttle response makes the back end more playful and rotates better from turn to turn (except for the noticeable intervention from both the turn in assistance and throttle cut with some slippage when going balls out). DSC off throttle response is linear yes, but IMO pronounces the lag from the i6T engine, or at least it feels that way. I feel this mod would do the trick to remedy throttle response, but not sure I want to spend money to have this option.

Is there a way to defeat DSC altogether via coding, or a way to modify throttle maps? DME tune, maybe?

Last edited by Dylan86; 06-27-2017 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 05:47 PM   #22
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

We offer the REMUS responder, they are almost identical.
It has been a very popular product for us

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0