THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum No spare paranoia

06-27-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

No spare paranoia

My M240i was ordered last week. I ordered it with no-RFTs. Thinking about driving without a spare is now getting me worried. So, what are you doing to mitigate a flat when your car has no spare tire?

Thanks,
MZ
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 4wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
My M240i was ordered last week. I ordered it with no-RFTs. Thinking about driving without a spare is now getting me worried. So, what are you doing to mitigate a flat when your car has no spare tire?

Thanks,
MZ
IIRC mine came with run flat goo/can and a compressor in the trunk

I just carry one of my winter tires as a spare and have a jack/wheel chock
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:27 AM   #3
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:

Thanks,
MZ
Push the official BMW Roadside assistance button.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. I've only had one flat tire during my 55 years of driving. And today's tires are so much better than the old days. I've picked up many nails and screws, yet the tires still held air. One had a slow leak, but not enough to let me down out in the boonies highways.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:35 AM   #4
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

This has been one of my considerations as well, in planning to ditch the RFT's for summer tires. Once I started reading how many times the RFT tires don't really work, it seemed less of a change in actual risk. The real PITA is that there is no wheel well at all, so you need to get high quality straps to hold the spare in place (for collision safety, not just to keep it from bashing into trunk walls). If I stick with this, I may find s/b to actually weld in supports, but I'm a bit of a nut for the collision safety stuff. I'm planning to go w/ the winter tire as spare, but others have found space savers, and sometimes these turn up in the for sale forum. Somebody also posted the minimum size wheel that would clear brakes, but it doesn't make sense to me to get a whole new wheel just to save a few inches of width. Scissor jacks are smallest and easiest to stow, usually good BMW ones are available via junkyards. I may go w/ a cheap floor jack for the extra utility (and don't forget to buy a 'puck' to adapt it to your frame holes if you go this route).
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
BM235iW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black Sapphire M235i

Non RFT's

Like you I had concerns due to the lack of a spare tire. The tire mobility kit (in the trunk) works very well. I've had the experience of using it twice. The tire pump will inflate a flat quickly and the pressure gauge is a plus. The second instance the tire was punctured by a bolt and wouldn't hold air. The tire mobility kit sealer stopped the leak and I was able to drive on the tire for a couple of days until the replacement tire arrived. On longer trips I place a spare tire, jack and wrench in the trunk.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:

Thanks,
MZ
There is enough paranoia to go around....spare paranoia certainly not needed!

I have the bimmerzone.com spare tire kit with jack as well. My trunk looks like the above, but the ratchet straps are orange.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #7
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

Not driving in shitty areas and faith that my luck can't be that shitty
      06-27-2017, 12:09 PM   #8
shil
Huh? Wazzat?
Canada
Rep
Drives: 228i xDrive

My last three vehicles haven’t had spares. They’ve all come with a compressor and a can of goo.
I’ve added a cheap scissors jack and a string-type tire repair kit. I’ve had to repair a tire on the road just once.
I was on my way again in less time than it takes assistance to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #9
ianp622
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

BMW covers roadside assistance and my credit card covers roadside assistance, and I haven't had a flat in over six years so it's not something I worry about.

*knocks on wood*
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #10
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

I carry one of this. (and couple of rubber gloves to keep hands clean)

https://www.amazon.com/Slime-1034-T-...=tire+fix+worm

This should be better than goo can. (I heard goo can messes up the TPMS)
Good enough for temporary fix until it gets properly patched or replaced.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:36 PM   #11
mpbruin108
Mpbruin108
Rep
Drives: I'm a hypermiler

Its funny you say this as I got my M240i about 1 week before I got my first flat tire. It was odd. Didn't hit anything that I knew of on the 5 freeway up the gravevine. Did I mention it was 11pm? If any of you guys have ever been there near Gorman, you know that it is probably the worst place to get a total flat. I think I got a defective tire as it was fully blown going at 70mph. In either case, every dealership was closed and I had to wait about 1 hour before I got a tow truck to come but since I was driving to Bakersfield, it took some convincing to get them to take me there but everything was all gravy after they agreed. BMW was very helpful getting me up and running. I wouldn't sweat it buddy as they will come help you decently quick.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
There is enough paranoia to go around....spare paranoia certainly not needed!

I have the bimmerzone.com spare tire kit with jack as well. My trunk looks like the above, but the ratchet straps are orange.
I'm not sure there's enough room in the trunk of a 2 series for "Spare Paranoia"

That shit takes up a lot of space.......usually in the drivers compartment though
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:48 PM   #13
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
I'm not sure there's enough room in the trunk of a 2 series for "Spare Paranoia"
There is. Doesn't the photo show that?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:49 PM   #14
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
There is. Doesn't the photo show that?
Yes, there's lots of room.....I was just having fun with the pun on words......"Spare/Extra Paranoia"
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 12:56 PM   #15
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbsm View Post
Yes, there's lots of room.....I was just having fun with the pun on words......"Spare/Extra Paranoia"
Driving is easy. Comedy is hard.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #16
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:

Thanks,
MZ
You've got to be aware of nails (construction) & punctures and potholes & sidewall bubbles.
With the aspect ratio of these tires a depression on the road surface or crumbling asphalt between lanes can mess with the tires. What you can get away with on the same patch of road at 35-mph can take out a tire or wheel at 70-mph.

If your in congested traffic with cars alongside or if tailgating you won't have room or time to take evasive action. You really need to know when to drive slower then all the other traffic so you have room and don't collect someone in your rear bumper when you need to get on the brakes hard to scrub off speed to coast -off your brakes- over broken road surfaces.

When you get the car be very careful when pulling forward to parallel park...sometimes it's better to always back-in when parallel parking so you can use the side-mirror to be positive of your side-wall distance to the curb.

A nail will usually incur a slow puncture and allow to travel - that's why its important to do cursory tire tread inspection to look for nails or gashes.

If you scan the road surface, if you become aware of other vehicles that could lose a portion of their load, if your smart as to when & where you open-up and can maintain the urge and stay calm where the road might be sketchy you can really eliminate any tire issues.

No matter what the limitations are not having a spare tire, the 240 is worth it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2017, 03:48 PM   #17
fbsm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Driving is easy. Comedy is hard.
Driving is much more difficult for too many people.....and has far worse consequences than failed attempts at bad humor

I agree with scott though.....MPSS's are very soft and combined with low profile are prone to damage......a spare is prudent.....curb or no curb
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 09:46 AM   #18
crabu2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Truck and ...

As others have said, the car comes with the a BMW fix a flat kit. I've never like those so I carry a plug kit and a pump...

This:

Fact is I carry this in all my vehicles and a pump. I've had a few flats over the years and it's saved my butt. I plug it on the spot then forget about it.

BTW, I've blown out one plug years ago doing a burnout... I put a plug back it and stopped doing burnout on those tires. LOL... Ok.. I later replaced the plug with a plug patch then went back to doing burnouts.
      06-28-2017, 10:43 AM   #19
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

I've been driving without spare for past 10 years (knock on wood) weight savings!
Appreciate 0