THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Pinch to Zoom on idrive touchpad and carplay question!

06-26-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
beenthere1
Private
Rep
Drives: m340i xdrive, x3 m40i

Pinch to Zoom on idrive touchpad and carplay question!

****EDITED FOR ANSWERS FROM BMW GENIUS HOTLINE*** keeping in case anyone else has questions!!

Hi Everyone,

3 quick questions:

1. Pinching to zoom seems to offer more delicate refinement of the view distance than rotating the idrive knob. In other words, a click of the knob will take the view distance from 400 feet to 800 feet but a small pinch could take it to 600 feet. The view distance number won't change the but screen definitely zooms out.

That being said, the pinch to zoom is REALLY finicky. Sometimes the same motion will zoom in OR it will zoom out. Also, a tiny pinch might zoom out a little or it will zoom out a TON. I use an iphone all the time and I never have this issue. Any advice? AUTOZOOM ENABLED IS THE REASON FOR THIS MESS.

2. Is there a quick way to get to the carplay other than "menu --- scroll over to carplay -- click". I want to save something to a quick save button but the closest I can get is "phone in carplay". This does go right to carplay but then it opens the phone interface. I just want to get to the home screen.
NOPE

3. Is there any way to get rid of the small status screen on the upper right of the navigation screen. This small bar shows the time and radio station. Not only is it duplicative, it covers a lot of the map. NOPE

Thanks!

Last edited by beenthere1; 06-26-2017 at 11:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 01:58 PM   #2
AbuQutaita
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Garage List
2018 BMW M240i  [0.00]
For #3, you can remove this on the previous iDrive versions by pressing the wheel while viewing the map, and selecting the hide status option. Did they remove this with ID6?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere1 View Post
Pinching to zoom seems to offer more delicate refinement of the view distance than rotating the idrive knob. In other words, a click of the knob will take the view distance from 400 feet to 800 feet but a small pinch could take it to 600 feet. The view distance number won't change the but screen definitely zooms out.

That being said, the pinch to zoom is REALLY finicky. Sometimes the same motion will zoom in OR it will zoom out. Also, a tiny pinch might zoom out a little or it will zoom out a TON. I use an iphone all the time and I never have this issue. Any advice?
Other than turning off Autozoom -- which, IIRC, you must do every time you open the app -- I would suggest the double-tap-to-zoom-in, two-finger-tap-to-zoom-out method if CarPlay allows for that on the iDrive touchscreen. It behaves similar to the iDrive knob and is far easier to execute than pinching when you're bouncing about.

BTW: the iDrive knob zoom behavior (zoom in/out by a factor of two) is normal. That's the way it works with built-in Nav as well.
Appreciate 0