THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum First Problem Officially Encountered

06-21-2017, 10:05 PM   #23
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

The flap is a common problem since like 2007. Warranty, disconnect, or just get new exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 06:20 AM   #24
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
How long did the repair take?

I'd assume a day to order the exhaust and another day to install so two days total?

Or were you in and out in a day?

I have a courtesy car for Friday. I'm wondering if it's going to extend into the weekend. If so, I'm going to be taking a long video of my exterior so I don't get dinged when I return the lease for a M3.
It took a day each time. My dealer doesn't seem to stock any M235i parts so everything has to be ordered. The parts show up the next morning, typically.

Last time I brought the car in, for an unrelated issue, they asked if I wanted to get the car for the weekend and then bring it back on Monday morning. I did, the X1 they gave me as a loaner didn't really impress me much and I didn't fancy my car sitting on their lot over the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #25
qlex
Registered
Rep
Drives: m240i

Hi ! Just created my account to post here

m240i ordered end of march, delivered 10 days ago, and I've had that exact same noise since day 1, and although I've read a ton of topics about exhausts rattles and abnormal noises, yours is the first that actually match mine.

I intended to unplug the flap in opened position regardless, so I tried that, but the noise is still present. It actually sounds like it's coming from the other pipe (right one). When it does it, maintaining the pipe (ie. pressing with my foot on it) makes it stops so I would guess vibrations play some part in it.
Same behavious as yours, it is very noticeable with windows opened when accelerating.

So, I'm very interested to see how things develop on your end , and in any case thanks a lot for the video !
For myself, I've informed the dealer 1 day after delivery and told him I'm letting a few days pass for things to settle and if the noise is still present I will want it taken care of.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 02:35 PM   #26
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlex View Post
Hi ! Just created my account to post here

m240i ordered end of march, delivered 10 days ago, and I've had that exact same noise since day 1, and although I've read a ton of topics about exhausts rattles and abnormal noises, yours is the first that actually match mine.

I intended to unplug the flap in opened position regardless, so I tried that, but the noise is still present. It actually sounds like it's coming from the other pipe (right one). When it does it, maintaining the pipe (ie. pressing with my foot on it) makes it stops so I would guess vibrations play some part in it.
Same behavious as yours, it is very noticeable with windows opened when accelerating.

So, I'm very interested to see how things develop on your end , and in any case thanks a lot for the video !
For myself, I've informed the dealer 1 day after delivery and told him I'm letting a few days pass for things to settle and if the noise is still present I will want it taken care of.

Yeah... it's completely abnormal.

I believe they need to replace the rear section of the exhaust as the other member here pointed out.

I don't really care since I'm giving this back after lease-end but it's kind of weird they keep using this valve if they've had issues for almost 10 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #27
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerostar View Post
Don't think so.

Have to cut out the exhaust to get to the valve.

Mine is stuck rattling regardless of whether or not the cars cold or warm.

I did a first gear pull with the windows down for shits and giggles and the rattling was insane. LOL
I'm not sure this is design issue or QC issue.
The fact that they need to cut the exhaust pipe to fix the valve flap rattle seems just wrong.
I guess BMW thought this valve flap will never be an issue. lol
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 02:25 PM   #28
aerostar
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80

So apparently it was the exhaust flap that needed to be replaced.

He told me he was able to replace it. I guess he didn't need to cut off the exhaust to reach it?? It will be ready by end of day.

In true dealership fashion, he tried to tell me that my front right wheel is terribly bent and needs to be replaced for $560 plus alignment for $190.

Also, I got a no options 320i xDrive. What a piece of shit.
Appreciate 0