THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum A45 AMG to M235i some questions

02-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #45
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBucket View Post
Thats the average speed for that trip, for much of the time I was going 85-90 (in Vermont mostly).
Amazing
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:17 AM   #46
Criticall
Rep
Drives: A45 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet_00 View Post
Good choice
Are you from the french speaking part of Belgium ? I ask because I'm from the french speaking part of Switzerland
I'm from the flemish speaking part of Belgium, but my French isn't that bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemoth View Post
You definitely won5 miss the exhaust note of the AMG when you hear the 6 cylinder purr

Drove an M135i RWD today. The engine noise is absolutely amazing, really loved it.
The car had a powerbox from AC-Schnitzer and around 350-360hp, but did seem to struggle in 1st and 2nd to find traction. Going to drive a m235i xdrive next week to see whether I should go for a RWD or an xdrive.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #47
durangodoug
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

So Criticall I'm more of a newbie since this is my first BMW, I researched but didn't test drive the CLA45 (I knew I wanted a 2 door), so I understand if you toss out my opinion.

I have the RWD 235i A/T with Michelin PSS. The other day it was raining pretty hard as I went down the highway and had no problems driving 65-75 mph. Around the corners I've been very impressed with the car's handling. The tail end has slipped out when going around a wet corner before, but I'll admit that was probably my fault and not the car. As I've gotten better at driving the 2 I know where my foot needs to be when going around a wet corner with some speed. The AMG 4cyl is an impressive engine, but that inline 6 sounds so good in the morning when you start her up. The guys on the forum with M/T love their 6 speed, but I'm in love with the 235's A/T. I've gone around corners at speed and the transmission is smart enough to hold the revs throughout waiting for you to punch out of the exit. I like the Merc's pano roof but really didn't agree with the rest of the interior (I think the C-Class is a lot better), and I would be going crazy if I heard rattling after paying what we pay for these nice German cars. I'm not going to comment on gas mileage because I rarely use eco pro, but I hope this helps a bit as you continue your search.
      02-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #48
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
Amazing
Yeah I was quite impressed with it, and that was with only about 300 miles on the car when I left for the trip so it definitely should get better too.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 09:23 AM   #49
typhune
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M235xi

Back and forth

Currently driving an M235i xdrive

Going backward from today, these are the cars I've had in the past 15 years:
2015 M235i
2009 Mercedes E63
2007 BMW 335i Coupe 6MT Dinan stage one
2007 BMW 335i Sedan Auto (Juicebox)
2006 Ford Mustang GT
2002 BMW 540
1998 Mercedes C43
1996 Chevy Corvette
2000 Audi S4

As you can see, I enjoy my cars. Each had a little different feel, flavor, temperament, etc.

For example on the E63. Monster motor, gobs of V8 torque, with an awful transmission, mediocre handling and horrible gas mileage. (Plus the front rotors are 3k to replace... Ouch)

The corvette was also a blast to drive, but impractical with kids coming at the time.

Not sure what I was thinking with the Mustang...

I've bounced back and forth between other cars and BMWs, and always seem to come back. I debated whether or not to get an M3/4, but honestly I'm glad I didn't. I couldn't justify the extra 30k. This car is by far the most fun all around, every day driver I've had. Sure there are cars that might be better on the track or dragstrip, but I can flip a switch to go from slushbox (ECO PRO) to canyon carver (SPORT+) in no time, enjoy my commute to work and still blow the doors of 95% of the cars on the road. And still get 20+MPG

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #50
mmmmm235i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 440xi GC

The suspension stiffness is a bit difficult to notice under normal driving circumstances, but this is not surprising to me. I'm able to get better launches out of sport + and even in sport I feel more comfortable maneuvering at high speeds. The latter could easily be a mental thing. When you are really pushing the car the increased throttle response and higher revs in the sport -+ seem to work with the suspension to help push you into and out of corners without setting off or pushing through the nannies. If you think these cars are squishy go drive a Benz (try not to fall asleep) and isn't that what this thread is about. I owned BMWs with hydraulic steering and sport suspension and every time I hit a nasty pothole I thought the wheel had fallen off. After getting used to the electric steering, having owned the car for almost a year now, I get the feedback I need, but can handle rough road without scaring the shit out of everyone in the car. I find the interior quality to be great much nicer and cleaner than the e9x. I would reccommend this car to anyone that can get away with the size. Also in terms of traction in wet weather it IS an issue. If you are at all into tuning or have a heavy foot you will spin the wheels for a while on a wet surface. If you drive under control though as you should in wet weather, if you are stock it will be a non issue. Once you start adding some power, however, the more careful you have to be.

RETIRED:
2018 440xi GC, Carbon Black on Black/Blue
2014 M235i Black on Black, DINAN Stage 2
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 08:17 AM   #51
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

You summed it up pretty well with those pros/cons. The ride is horrible on the A45/CLA45, one of the key reasons I didn't get one. The gearbox is the other, its jerky, and not very responsive. Expected a lot more from Mercedes, a premium luxury car brand, yes its an AMG... but adaptive suspension is a MUST.

But if I bought one... would I switch to a M235i? It really depends on ONE thing... MONEY!! If you bought it outright with no money owing... possibly, you can offload it losing a percentage... but if you're financing the car? It's not worth the money to switch.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #52
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW335iOn18s View Post
you had trouble getting grip in a 200hp one series? I don't know, my old E46 330ci NEVER broke loose LOL. My M235i is completely fine in the rain...are you taking 40 km/h turns at 120 km/h? I've never had a problem in the rain with any of the 12 BMWs my family has had....

I prefer 6 speed manuals anyways, but the 8 speed ZF is fantastic, I've driven both the normal version in the 528i, and the sport version in the 640i.

The M235i is basically a shorter 435i, and both have outstanding interior quality...

I think this car is an upgrade in every way, you want regret it
Never been in the Merc but disagree with your assessment of interior quality in the 2er. The leather looks and feels like plastic and the car interior in general is plastic. I am surprised the Merc does not have nicer interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #53
BMW335iOn18s
Resident BMW Fanboy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 CS SMB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
Never been in the Merc but disagree with your assessment of interior quality in the 2er. The leather looks and feels like plastic and the car interior in general is plastic. I am surprised the Merc does not have nicer interior.
If you think the F22 interior is bad, take a seat in anything else in the price range. The A3 and CLA are far worse. Benz interiors are plasticky unless you're talking about the SL or S class.
      02-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #54
midwest 340xi 6sp
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340xi

Quote:
If you think the F22 interior is bad, take a seat in anything else in the price range. The A3 and CLA are far worse. Benz interiors are plasticky unless you're talking about the SL or S class.
Or the new W205...Sexy as Adriana Lima interiors. I came within an eyelash of buying a C400 4 matic over the M235xi
      02-17-2015, 10:57 PM   #55
sstarrx3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i Mineral White/Terra

Quote:
Yes maybe so...Buicks are getting some really nice interiors...but they are surrounded by...well...a Buick.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 06:12 AM   #56
Criticall
Rep
Drives: A45 AMG

Somehow didn't get notifications anymore when there was a reply.
Driving the m235i xdrive next monday at 10h30.

So far not many have called for the A45, even though I lowered the price on the ad to a nice price. Could have guessed it wouldn't be easy to sell a car like this easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by durangodoug View Post
So Criticall I'm more of a newbie since this is my first BMW, I researched but didn't test drive the CLA45 (I knew I wanted a 2 door), so I understand if you toss out my opinion.

I have the RWD 235i A/T with Michelin PSS. The other day it was raining pretty hard as I went down the highway and had no problems driving 65-75 mph. Around the corners I've been very impressed with the car's handling. The tail end has slipped out when going around a wet corner before, but I'll admit that was probably my fault and not the car. As I've gotten better at driving the 2 I know where my foot needs to be when going around a wet corner with some speed. The AMG 4cyl is an impressive engine, but that inline 6 sounds so good in the morning when you start her up. The guys on the forum with M/T love their 6 speed, but I'm in love with the 235's A/T. I've gone around corners at speed and the transmission is smart enough to hold the revs throughout waiting for you to punch out of the exit. I like the Merc's pano roof but really didn't agree with the rest of the interior (I think the C-Class is a lot better), and I would be going crazy if I heard rattling after paying what we pay for these nice German cars. I'm not going to comment on gas mileage because I rarely use eco pro, but I hope this helps a bit as you continue your search.
Thank you for your point of view. I think I'd be more tempted to take the AT as well. Is definitely way better than the mercs.
And I'm not driving in eco (comfort in the merc) either. Had a drive this weekend averaging 12,5mpg so feel free to comment on gas mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhune View Post
I've bounced back and forth between other cars and BMWs, and always seem to come back.
I'm a 100% sure that my next car will be a BMW as well. The question is just when. Will it be in a few weeks or maybe a few months or years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmm235i View Post
Once you start adding some power, however, the more careful you have to be.
I'm realising that. It's not that the car doesn't have enough power, but I think it's nice when you have these 'bigger' cars next to you and they are shocked to see your little car can keep up, while it shouldn't. Not that it happens that often you see a car even worth flooring your car for, but still, I think it's a nice feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by den525 View Post
It really depends on ONE thing... MONEY!!
I agree. If money wasn't an issue, I wouldn't even asked this question on this forum, and I just waited for the M2 to be launched and I bought me one of these. I'm guessing that will be one of the best cars BMW has made up to date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstarrx3 View Post
I do like the (quality of the) interior of the BMW, but without the M Performance parts, it's a little bit bland. The leather seats could have had a bit more appeal, like the M3/4 seats, but I guess they are keeping that for the upcoming M2.
Appreciate 0