THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Is a JB4 worth it?

08-17-2015, 02:43 AM   #1
JasonPetrie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Is a JB4 worth it?

Hello everyone, I am very new to BMW's as the M235i is my very first one. I've been a VAG guy for the last 10 years so please forgive my lack of knowledge. I have searched pretty extensively but have found lots of conflicting info. First off, I recently installed an Injen intake which ran completely fine for about a week until a CEL with the code 0172 popped up (running rich in bank 1) and the car started idling quite rough and even stalling from time to time on cold starts. I put the stock intake back on today and almost immediately the CEL went away. This is my DD and I don't have any intention to track it. I just want something thats going to make the car a little quicker and I don't plan on modding it any further than a tune and the intake. (I had a catback exhaust on my 3.2 A4 and my wife hated it) My questions are:

1) is the JB4 worth it for the money? are the gains that noticeable? They claim it adds about 60hp.
2) will the JB4 let me use my Injen intake without making it run rich and throwing a CEL?
3) Will the JB4 void my warranty if i take it off before bringing the car in for service? Will they be able to tell I had it installed?
4) Has anyone experienced any other issues after installing the JB4?
5) Is there something better I should look in to for similar gains around the same price point?

Any advice and help os greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

JP
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

1) is the JB4 worth it for the money? are the gains that noticeable? They claim it adds about 60hp.
A: Yes it is definitely worth it for the $500-$600. Gains are noticeable, especially tq.

2) will the JB4 let me use my Injen intake without making it run rich and throwing a CEL?
A: You can run JB4 with your injen intake, not sure that it would correct running rich, but it will clear any CEL. Terry offers custom tuning if you are running rich I believe, but I do know a lot of people running intakes have had rough idles etc. IMO, ditch the intake, minimal gains anyways.

3) Will the JB4 void my warranty if i take it off before bringing the car in for service? Will they be able to tell I had it installed?
A: It can void your warranty if BMW know, but they won't necessarily look for these codes unless you have some big problem like a hole in the block or a blown turbo. Most times you clear codes and they wont even dig any deeper than the surface codes.

4) Has anyone experienced any other issues after installing the JB4?
A: I ran JB4 and FBO on my old 135i and didn't experience any issues for the 20k miles I had them installed.

5) Is there something better I should look in to for similar gains around the same price point?
A: I know GSR offer a nice flash tune, for a bit more $. But it isn't a piggyback like JB4. Actives I dont believe offers as much gains, and I believe JB4 is the most widely used so support from BMS is
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2015, 10:56 AM   #3
ocN55
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i 6MT/ '16 M3

If you're not doing a downpipe, stick with a basic plug and play like the BMS Stage 1 or aFe Scorcher
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1150729