THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 135i MSpt driver just test drove M235

08-29-2014, 01:19 PM   #1
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

135i MSpt driver just test drove M235

So in about 7 months, the lease on my beloved 2012 135i Mspt 6MT is ending.

I am exploring my options, including everything from:
  • buying out my lease
  • getting into an M235
  • A Subaru STI (but local dealer says their policy is no test drives until you have basically wrapped up the financials and are committed to buy the car - well guess what? You just ruled that car out for me, so how is that policy working out for you?
  • Infinity G-37/Q-60: Nah - too soft
So, my impressions of the M235:

Aesthetics: I really like it in person so much better than in photos. If you don't like it but haven't seen it in person, you are working from a position of inadequate info - go see one. I LOVE the front end. Profile view is less gorgeous, but still pretty good. Back end is plain, but not ugly. Now, I am one of us 1-series drivers that actually likes how the 1er looks, so I am not looking for greener pastures there. Anyway, I am a black car guy, but this M235 looks damn fine in white. DAMN fine... Oddly I find myself liking the wheels that come on the Sport-optioned 228 better than the 235's wheels, but not by much.

Acceleration and handling: Goddamn it's fast! My 135 (bone stock) is no slouch, and probably as fast as I really ever need a car (though if I keep it, I'm gonna give it a tune and exhaust for shits & giggles and to add some spice to our 3-year relationship), but the M235 is faster, no question. It shocked me at how fast and hard it pulled. Accelerating onto an on-ramp, there was a hair more body roll than the 135, but it was decidedly more stable and planted. None of that bouncy bi-polar rear end like the 135 (in Massachusetts, bumpy roads are a given, and in a hard-accelerating turn, your rear is gonna dance in a 1er). The sales rep even commented during my attack of the on-ramp "finally, someone who knows how to drive a BMW - people are always braking for this ramp".

The steering: Much has been said and lamented about the steering, and while it was decidedly less "connected" than the 1er, it wasn't awful. I could live with it, and I'm sure after a month or two as a daily driver,I wouldn't even notice. It isn't a deal-breaker. The steering effect, as opposed to the feel: it was perfectly predictable and went exactly where it was pointed. I guess I would that while a little numb, it was extremely effective.

Transmission: I will begin by saying that I am one of those obnoxious die-hard MT guys. I just feel more in control and connected to a vehicle via a manual. However, I can be objective. DO NOT turn this thread into another one of those pointless MT vs AT/DCT arguments. That horse has been beaten to a pulp. So, with that being said, if any car I have ever driven would make me switch to an AT, it would be this car. It is without a doubt the finest, fastest AT I have ever tried. DCT? who needs it?!?! This AT will run circles around a lot of DCTs out there. Shifts are effectively instantaneous, or close enough as makes no difference. I was duly impressed, and enjoyed both the console shifter and the paddles (but more so the paddles). If I get one, I will probably still get a manual, just because they are more fun for me, but like I said, this one could make me switch.

Overall impressions: I was highly impressed with both the performance and the in-person looks. The increased size is definitely noticeable in the form of a roomier interior, but didn't really feel like a bigger car to me on the road. By contrast, I sat in a 435 in the showroom and it felt HUGE to me. I like the modestly updated interior looks as well as two usable cup holders as opposed to a cup holder and a phone/change holder disguised as a cup holder. It has better, more useful door pockets too. Overall, I liked a lot about the car. My only complaint would be that I just didn't feel as organically connected to the vehicle - it felt less...intimate. I suspect there are four reasons for this:
  1. It was an AT where I am accustomed to the visceral link of an MT - that could be fixed by getting it in MT, but an AT/DCT driver would not have this issue.
  2. The extra cockpit space - it just isn't as snug as the 1er. Some would find that a plus, some a minus. I'm 5'10" 160lb, so I don't take up a lot of space and I don't mind snug.
  3. The car is brand new with 32 miles. My car is nicely broken in like a favorite pair of shoes. The back floorboard has an empty Dunkin cup and assorted other trash in it - it feels lived in. The new one is all pristine, so I think that is more of just that difference.
  4. The electronic steering. Which while not bad, does certainly reduce that feeling of connection to the car and the road.

All-in-all, I am up in the air. I like the car a lot. It doesn't feel like my favorite pair of shoes like my 135 does, but more like a really nice pair of new shoes that I still have to get used to before I love wearing them.
And goddamn it's fast!

Last edited by Cavpilot2k; 08-29-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Steven1077
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i

I wish I'd gone for a M235i but when I bought the 435i I was under the impression the 2 series looked odd, but like you said when you see a M235i it looks pretty good, I'll be looking to trade my 435i as soon as it's financially possible, I do like my 435i but I want something smaller
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

You would probably get agreement on the wheels from most M235 owners. I really like the color but the design isn't great and they are designed poorly so water pools in a groove leaving a pile of dirt every time it rains or you clean them. I much prefer the 228 M Sport wheels but that's my only complaint with the car.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:09 PM   #4
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
So, my impressions of the M235:

Acceleration and handling: Goddamn it's fast!

Transmission: It is without a doubt the finest, fastest AT I have ever tried. If I get one, I will probably still get a manual, just because they are more fun for me, but like I said, this one could make me switch.

And goddamn it's fast!
Couldn't agree more! Heh!

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 02:15 PM   #5
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Obtain the M235i and dont look back!
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Love your assessment. Glad you were impressed with the ZF8 like I was.

It's a fun car and it sounds like you have your mind made up already. DOO EET.
      08-29-2014, 03:29 PM   #7
plien69
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I likewise came from a 135i, and your impressions pretty are spot on with mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
None of that bouncy bi-polar rear end like the 135
Mine was a 2008, so it had progressive springs rather than the linear ones in your 2012. This is one of the areas where I feel the 235 improved greatly on its predecessor. I always felt the 135i had more engine than the suspension could handle. The 235's suspension has matured in that respect.

Quote:
The steering: Much has been said and lamented about the steering, and while it was decidedly less "connected" than the 1er, it wasn't awful.
The first experience people have with the 235i's steering is at low speed in a parking lot, probably with the car in Comfort setting. The EPS steering will feel way over-boosted in this environment, compared to the classic BMW hydraulic setup. But once you're at speed in Sport+, like you said, it's not bad. It's not that there's no feedback, just that it feels like there's a little bit less. I liken it to digital vs. analog sound. Digital can be very good, it just sounds different from analog.

Quote:
Transmission: ... It is without a doubt the finest, fastest AT I have ever tried. DCT? who needs it?!?! This AT will run circles around a lot of DCTs out there. Shifts are effectively instantaneous, or close enough as makes no difference. I was duly impressed
I had a 6-speed step in my 135i, also had an E46 M3 with SMG, and a E36 with 5-speed stick. I was hesitant about going with the Step in the 135i, because I didn't like torque-converter autos (and the driveline slop that usually came with them). But the 6-speed Steptronic made me a believer. Early lockup negated the "slop" in most cases, shifts were very quick and rev-matched, and transmission programming was very effective. The 8-speed in the F22 is even better.

Quote:
My only complaint would be that I just didn't feel as organically connected to the vehicle - it felt less...intimate. I suspect there are four reasons for this:
  1. It was an AT where I am accustomed to the visceral link of an MT - that could be fixed by getting it in MT, but an AT/DCT driver would not have this issue.
  2. The extra cockpit space - it just isn't as snug as the 1er. Some would find that a plus, some a minus. I'm 5'10" 160lb, so I don't take up a lot of space and I don't mind snug.
  3. The car is brand new with 32 miles. My car is nicely broken in like a favorite pair of shoes. The back floorboard has an empty Dunkin cup and assorted other trash in it - it feels lived in. The new one is all pristine, so I think that is more of just that difference.
  4. The electronic steering. Which while not bad, does certainly reduce that feeling of connection to the car and the road.
An additional reason I think is the slightly increased dimensions of the F22, specifically wheelbase and track. Makes it feel more planted, but also soaks up more bumps.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 03:38 PM   #8
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
OP, Driven in sports mode?

Comfort mode with the auto is like driving a camary

Did you test drive in Norwood (white with red leather, moonroof delete)?? If so, I ordered that car lol
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
sdpauly
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i, 2008 Taco

I own a 135i and I am planning to wait for the M2. Also looking at Cayman GTS and possibly maybe dreaming about an F-Type R... And maybe some other cars will come out between now and then to catch my eye.

I think the M2 will be the decisive upgrade over the 135i while the 235 just doesn't seem to offer much over my 1er, and when you factor in the extra size and weight, it's a no-go. For me, I think I would have buyers remorse if I jumped ship for the 235 now. I think the M2 will be worth the wait.
      08-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #10
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdpauly View Post
I own a 135i and I am planning to wait for the M2. Also looking at Cayman GTS and possibly maybe dreaming about an F-Type R... And maybe some other cars will come out between now and then to catch my eye.

I think the M2 will be the decisive upgrade over the 135i while the 235 just doesn't seem to offer much over my 1er, and when you factor in the extra size and weight, it's a no-go. For me, I think I would have buyers remorse if I jumped ship for the 235 now. I think the M2 will be worth the wait.
That's exactly what I am thinking if I hold on to my 135. Keep it until the M2 comes out and reassess.

Fortunately, none of my choices (keep 135, keep 135 until M2 comes out, or get M235) are bad choices. It really is a can't lose situation.
Appreciate 0