THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anyone think the M235 on MPSS tires has a bit of a flinty ride?

08-15-2017, 10:15 AM   #23
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Agreed on that. The front does feel more connected and planted. The rear not as much. I never feel like the rear is going to come out (I drive in DSC OFF most of the time) but the two axles seem to be speaking a slightly different language. Some addition damping out back would help things.
I think the added damping with an open diff would upset and increase your experiences with the axle disconnect in the rear, just my opinion. Also, the LSD experience is calling you
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #24
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

I'm feeling the pull of the LSD experience as well; particularly, after reading the Quaife vs M Perf LSD thread(s) with mention of how one may be beneficial when inclement winter weather rears its head.

So as not to hijack this thread too much...

Dylan86 - I agree with your point about added damping on an open diff upsetting and increasing the OP's experience, but only when it comes to the compression stroke of the shock. I think added rebound damping (slowing down the extension stroke of the shock) would benefit both open and limited slip diffs.

The way our rear ends are now, with the stock rear shocks, the "lightening" of the rear end when turning through uneven pavement feels more disconcerting when compared to the experience with my old solid rear axle Rustang.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the idea that a mechanical LSD stabilizes the rear of the car during normal driving when the difference in wheel speed on opposite ends isn't that great. I could see it during hard driving, especially when hitting bumps. Otherwise, I'm not seeing it.

I drive almost entirely in DSC OFF which eliminates all of ugly effects of an open diff. It's not as good as a true LSD, but BMW's operation of the eLSD is quite good and very quick to respond and control and distribute the power. Yes, it's using the brakes to control and distribute the power, but it works quite well on the street or even on a longer, more sweeping road course. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719012

With that said, a mechanical LSD is very high on my upgrade list.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #26
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I just recently moved a mechanical LSD to the top of my upgrade list, above all the power related bolt-ons. I'm gonna try driving around with DSC OFF for a while to see if I'm able to notice a difference.

XutvJet, have you had the chance to HPDE around Heartland Park?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #27
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
I just recently moved a mechanical LSD to the top of my upgrade list, above all the power related bolt-ons. I'm gonna try driving around with DSC OFF for a while to see if I'm able to notice a difference.

XutvJet, have you had the chance to HPDE around Heartland Park?
I've attended and watched, I have not done it myself though. I'm it considering, but what pulls me back is that my M235 is my only car. To do HPDE, I'd want a set of dedicated wheels and tires as the stock MPSS tires would be destroyed very quickly. Wrecking the car is the other concern I have Heartland can be pretty fast, especially now that it's been repaved. I'm wavering on picking up an Elise or current gen Miata RF so I can get back into auto-x and do HPDE as well.

Are you in the area?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #28
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I've attended and watched, I have not done it myself though. I'm it considering, but what pulls me back is that my M235 is my only car. To do HPDE, I'd want a set of dedicated wheels and tires as the stock MPSS tires would be destroyed very quickly. Wrecking the car is the other concern I have Heartland can be pretty fast, especially now that it's been repaved. I'm wavering on picking up an Elise or current gen Miata RF so I can get back into auto-x and do HPDE as well.

Are you in the area?
Same State, but all the way on the other side in StL. I know all too well how fast HPT can be...did a 2-wheeled race/track day there a few years ago. The organization (MCRA) I went with will actually be there next month, 10/9 & 10/10.

The few HPDEs I've done, the instructor(s) did everything they could to ensure I didn't crash. And the beauty of HPDEs is that you go as fast as you're comfortable with; you're typically in groups from Novice to Advanced. So, you could go 3/10ths in the Novice group and be perfectly fine! Heck I don't think I ever pushed past 7/10ths.

Think about it...the newly paved surface means less tire degradation!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:05 PM   #29
redontheline
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB 235 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
...The few HPDEs I've done, the instructor(s) did everything they could to ensure I didn't crash. And the beauty of HPDEs is that you go as fast as you're comfortable with; you're typically in groups from Novice to Advanced. So, you could go 3/10ths in the Novice group and be perfectly fine! Heck I don't think I ever pushed past 7/10ths.

Think about it...the newly paved surface means less tire degradation!
Funny you say this. I read the same from everyone on here before my first ever track weekend last year - that a grouped, instructed HPDE would be close to zero chance of car damage. We ended up with a damp track and drizzle on and off, accidents nearly every session, including my first instructor sliding us off track in his car, and my buddy totaling his E36 M3 the first day. If instructor 1 didn't leave me off to someone new to get his car looked at and I didn't purchase track insurance, I likely wouldn't have gone back out for day two. I also did quite a number on my front tires' shoulders.

I'm itching to go back but at the same time it is stressful out there in your only car.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 08:43 AM   #30
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by redontheline View Post
Funny you say this. I read the same from everyone on here before my first ever track weekend last year - that a grouped, instructed HPDE would be close to zero chance of car damage. We ended up with a damp track and drizzle on and off, accidents nearly every session, including my first instructor sliding us off track in his car, and my buddy totaling his E36 M3 the first day. If instructor 1 didn't leave me off to someone new to get his car looked at and I didn't purchase track insurance, I likely wouldn't have gone back out for day two. I also did quite a number on my front tires' shoulders.

I'm itching to go back but at the same time it is stressful out there in your only car.
I wholeheartedly agree on the bolded part.

I'm lucky to have had good weather for my few HPDEs in my only car, I'll admit. I'll also admit that my perspective is skewed from motorcycle track days and my short amateur motorcycle racing career.

Facing the costs associated with taking your daily driver to the track reminds me why I switched to 2 wheels in the first place.

I guess all I can say to anyone out there is to at least try it once; prepare as best you can if you do decide to participate in an HPDE, and leave your ego at home before you go!
Appreciate 0