THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Totaled or Not??

07-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #23
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
My vote is totalled.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

In Virginia if the total repair cost will exceed 70% of the car's value the car must be totaled. It's the law.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #25
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Should buff right out.
Appreciate 2
      07-23-2017, 06:23 PM   #26
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

Totaled period. No way I would settle for anything less. That why we pay insurance premiums.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2017, 07:48 PM   #27
Mr Carrots
Captain
Rep
Drives: Bmw

It better be totalled because theres no way would I want to drive that again.

Hope you're ok, I had a bad wreck 6 months back and it can really mess you up
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:40 AM   #28
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Totaled period. No way I would settle for anything less. That why we pay insurance premiums.
You definitely want it totaled. Especially if you bought vs lease.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #29
richiemd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrola View Post
Please go and get checked and scanned. I was in an accident recently as well, and the airbag messed up my hands a little bit. It seemed like my hands were just sprained but after getting checked I was suspected to have a fractured scaphoid bone. One CT scan a week later, the fracture was ruled out but it was badly sprained and I still need to keep my hand in a splint.
Yeah, I went to the hospital 2 days after it happened had a little bit of pain but now im starting to feel pain in other places, going to let my insurance know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Carrots View Post
It better be totalled because theres no way would I want to drive that again.

Hope you're ok, I had a bad wreck 6 months back and it can really mess you up
Yeah at this point it sucks that it happened and I had no plan on changing my car but I dont want that car anymore. I purchased it also so the car would be worth nothing now.

If the insurance companies tells me they will fix it is there anything I can do ?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:20 AM   #30
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiemd View Post
Yeah, I went to the hospital 2 days after it happened had a little bit of pain but now im starting to feel pain in other places, going to let my insurance know.

Yeah at this point it sucks that it happened and I had no plan on changing my car but I dont want that car anymore. I purchased it also so the car would be worth nothing now.

If the insurance companies tells me they will fix it is there anything I can do ?
Retain a lawyer. I was forced to sue my insurance company years ago when they refused to cover our losses under the "uninsured motorist" portion of our policy after we were hit by an insured motorist. We won.

I changed insurance carriers shortly thereafter.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 10:25 AM   #31
richiemd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Retain a lawyer. I was forced to sue my insurance company years ago when they refused to cover our losses under the "uninsured motorist" portion of our policy after we were hit by an insured motorist. We won.

I changed insurance carriers shortly thereafter.
Hope it doesn't come to that, I pay for everything they offer as coverage, paying over 4k a year for my car + an m3 and then Also have house insurance.

I dont think they would want to lose me as a customer.

Hopefully when I hear back from them they just tell me the car will be considered a total loss.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #32
Le frog
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

[QUOTE=Sportstick;21979405]The 2 Series does not have a frame. Unitized construction.

In modern cars, the unibody IS the frame. the quarter panel (I.e. the rear fender is part of the unibody, therefore part of the frame.

I had the rear passenger side panel replaced, due to a minor fender bender (Someone ran a stop sign), and now my 235 value is tanked due to frame damage.

I really hope your car will be declared a total loss, so you can get a new one.
M2?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #33
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

[QUOTE=Le frog;21984800]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
The 2 Series does not have a frame. Unitized construction.

In modern cars, the unibody IS the frame. the quarter panel (I.e. the rear fender is part of the unibody, therefore part of the frame.

I had the rear passenger side panel replaced, due to a minor fender bender (Someone ran a stop sign), and now my 235 value is tanked due to frame damage.

M2?
A frame is a very distinguishable component, as seen on a body-on-frame design, resembling a ladder, such as in trucks and large SUVs. The unitized construction is noted for lighter weight due to the very absence of the frame. If one wanted to suggest that the structure of the floorpan acts as a frame, or that the purpose of a frame is integrated into the floorpan design, one could make that analogy. But, to have an actual frame, it would be separable from the rest of the body-in-white. Perhaps this argument is semantic, but when bodyshops tell people their "frame" is bent and the vehicle is unibody, that is not a valid statement. More accurately, they should reference the floor pan. Taken further, if you suggest the aperture/rear quarter are part of the frame, would it be right to say the "frame is bent" when the rear quarter panel is dented? I would think not. What you were told about the reason for the lost value of your car does not make sense, unless the floor pan was involved and the description given to you was a generalization/not techically correct.

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-24-2017 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #34
richiemd
Enlisted Member
Rep

[QUOTE=Le frog;21984800]
Quote:
The 2 Series does not have a frame. Unitized construction.

M2?
Na wouldnt get an M2, where I live has lots of snow in the winter. Would get a 2018 M240X, I need the 4 wheel drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #35
Le frog
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Sportstick;21984891]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le frog View Post

A frame is a very distinguishable component, as seen on a body-on-frame design, resembling a ladder, such as in trucks and large SUVs. The unitized construction is noted for lighter weight due to the very absence of the frame. If one wanted to suggest that the structure of the floorpan acts as a frame, or that the purpose of a frame is integrated into the floorpan design, one could make that analogy. But, to have an actual frame, it would be separable from the rest of the body-in-white. Perhaps this argument is semantic, but when bodyshops tell people their "frame" is bent and the vehicle is unibody, that is not a valid statement. More accurately, they should reference the floor pan. Taken further, if you suggest the aperture/rear quarter are part of the frame, would it be right to say the "frame is bent" when the rear quarter panel is dented? I would think not. What you were told about the reason for the lost value of your car does not make sense, unless the floor pan was involved and the description given to you was a generalization/not techically correct.

Your points are valid, but frames per se are not just the ladder type construction one can commonly see on full size trucks and SUV. besides, this type of construction is slowly fading, for the lighter unibody construction. think of space frame, although they are themselves another type of construction altogether. Yes, the floorpan, is technically the foundation of the "frame". but in a uni body, or monocoque construction, the floor pan, fire wall, roof, A,B,C pillars and quarterpanels all are integral strucural components of what is commonly referred to as a frame, and also constitute the body in white (before installing the moving panels: doors, trunk, hood, and fenders). It might not seem correct to you, but any components of the uni body that have been welded together, are integral part of the monocoque construction, which provide the structural rigidity to the vehicle. in other words, it is just that: a frame
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:35 PM   #36
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I'd ask for them to total it if isn't already a total.

Better the car than you!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #37
chattanooga240
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i

Quote:
You may be right, the insurance company will let him know.

But, I'm not being snarky....you started out saying there was "no way that one is getting put back together", and we now agree there is at least "one way", even if not very desireable. I also think we can agree modern body shops have far better techniques and outcomes than in that video. The only remaining factor is economic. Perhaps you were suggesting, as you now clarified, there was "no way" an insurance company would pay for that, but, taking it as originally written, it came across as a far more general statement about the ability to put a damaged car back together. So, maybe just a misunderstanding of the written word...not a big deal...sorry about the detour.
I think common sense would dictate in this matter that literally anything CAN be put back together.

OP you asked if your vehicle is totaled, and it absolutely is. (from an insurance standpoint) And as stated above the Russians can put it back together for you, but you would never want to get behind the wheel of it again from a safety standpoint.

(I hope this post has satisfied Sportstick, and I have managed to write clearly and concise enough as to not need to elaborate further JK Sporstick
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #38
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=Le frog;21985899]
Quote:

Your points are valid, but frames per se are not just the ladder type construction one can commonly see on full size trucks and SUV. besides, this type of construction is slowly fading, for the lighter unibody construction. think of space frame, although they are themselves another type of construction altogether. Yes, the floorpan, is technically the foundation of the "frame". but in a uni body, or monocoque construction, the floor pan, fire wall, roof, A,B,C pillars and quarterpanels all are integral strucural components of what is commonly referred to as a frame, and also constitute the body in white (before installing the moving panels: doors, trunk, hood, and fenders). It might not seem correct to you, but any components of the uni body that have been welded together, are integral part of the monocoque construction, which provide the structural rigidity to the vehicle. in other words, it is just that: a frame
(WARNING - for those not interested in a detour in the weeds about automotive terminology, skip this post now!! LOL!)

I'm concluding this is semantics as I am with you conceptually until the commonly used (not necessarily technically accurate) terminology is invoked. My perhaps-pickiness results from working alongside body engineering and manufacturing folks (as a product planner) for a few decades at my pre-retirement car company, where these terms were crystal clear among us. I realize "civilian" use of language for any industry may be different than those inside. For example, how many think they are looking at the "dashboard", when they are actually looking at the instrument panel which is suspended from, and attached to, the actual dashboard, the sheetmetal just rearward of the cowl?

My current reaction is that if I pound in a nail with the side of a wrench, that doesn't make it a hammer. If a unitized body provides the structure which performs the same purpose as a frame in a body-on-frame vehicle, that doesn't make it a frame; it's merely a different approach to the same solution to create a rigid (although collapsible!) structure. If, at the time, I had stood in one of our exterior body labs or in the "toy tab" area of one of our unitized vehicle programs or plants and asked about the frame, I would get odd looks and perhaps a laugh. They would direct me to one of our pickup truck plants!

In any event, once the essential structure of a vehicle is damaged, whatever one calls it, the likelihood is that the vehicle is a goner, insurance valuation depending in some cases. (Rails/shotguns can be sectioned and replaced, floor pan, not so much.) My intention with starting this is caveat emptor...if a bodyshop tells you the frame is bent, a whole lot of questions should follow! On this last paragraph, we likely agree completely.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 07-24-2017 at 05:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #39
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvmaddog View Post
I think common sense would dictate in this matter that literally anything CAN be put back together.

OP you asked if your vehicle is totaled, and it absolutely is. (from an insurance standpoint) And as stated above the Russians can put it back together for you, but you would never want to get behind the wheel of it again from a safety standpoint.

(I hope this post has satisfied Sportstick, and I have managed to write clearly and concise enough as to not need to elaborate further JK Sporstick
Well done, sir!

My students were frequently displeased that in Management classes, I graded for spelling and grammar too....sort of explains what goes on here!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:07 PM   #40
Le frog
Private
Rep

[QUOTE=Sportstick;21986034]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le frog View Post

(WARNING - for those not interested in a detour in the weeds about automotive terminology, skip this post now!! LOL!)

I'm concluding this is semantics as I am with you conceptually until the commonly (not necessarily technically accurate) terminology is invoked. My perhaps-pickiness results from working alongside body engineering and manufacturing folks (as a product planner) for a few decades at my pre-retirement car company, where these terms were crystal clear among us. I realize "civilian" use of language for any industry may be different than those inside. For example, how many think they are looking at the "dashboard", when they are actually looking at the instrument panel which is suspended from, and attached to, the actual dashboard, the sheetmetal just rearward of the cowl?

My current reaction is that if I pound in a nail with the side of a wrench, that doesn't make it a hammer. If a unitized body provides the structure which performs the same purpose as a frame in a body-on-frame vehicle, that doesn't make it a frame; it's merely a different approach to the same solution to create a rigid (although collapsible!) structure. If, at the time, I had stood in one of our exterior body labs or in the "toy tab" area of one of our unitized vehicle programs or plants and asked about the frame, I would get odd looks and perhaps a laugh. They would direct me to one of our pickup truck plants!

In any event, once the essential structure of a vehicle is damaged, whatever one calls it, the likelihood is that the vehicle is a goner, insurance valuation depending in some cases. (Rails/shotguns can be sectioned and replaced, floor pan, not so much.) My intention with starting this is caveat emptor...if a bodyshop tells you the frame is bent, a whole lot of questions should follow! On this last paragraph, we likely agree completely.
Well you're absolutely right: In our industry, we never call the unibody a frame: we call each of it's components individually, and in my field, tend refer to the whole structure as the " architecture" (See, another term).
To your point, frame is more of a layman's word, referring to the structure of a car.
In general, if any of these any components are extensively damaged, the car should be totaled, period.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:10 PM   #41
Le frog
Private
Rep

O.P., by the look of the pics alone, I am 90% sure your insurer will declare it a total loss, for which I am sorry.
240i sounds great!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 06:14 PM   #42
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

[QUOTE=Le frog;21986397]
Quote:

Well you're absolutely right: In our industry, we never call the unibody a frame: we call each of it's components individually, and in my field, tend refer to the whole structure as the " architecture" (See, another term).
To your point, frame is more of a layman's word, referring to the structure of a car.
In general, if any of these any components are extensively damaged, the car should be totaled, period.
But, great conversation topic....thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2017, 08:03 PM   #43
B_Rice
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6spd Estoril Blue M235i

I think (hope) it's totaled.

On a side note, "structural damage" would be used in place of "frame damage"
      07-24-2017, 09:10 PM   #44
richiemd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok thanks for all the replies. Would you guys like an update once I find out what they say?
Appreciate 0