THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M240 Settings used for Canyon Driving Advice

08-08-2017, 05:43 PM   #23
K9GunSlinger
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 MG 6-Spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Used both DSC off and Sport+ at the track and I gotta say the car is WAYY more composed with DSC off. Just allows the car to feel neutral, allowing you to feel everything that's happening. I find Sport+ aids with turn in a but more than warranted, which disrupts the chassis a lot and the throttle is super snappy, which can be good or bad, but probably bad in your case.

Best bet if you're worried about having no aids would be to: Use Sport mode, and through idrive, configure your sport settings to Chassis:ON Drivetrain:OFF to get close-to "DSC off" feel, but still having sense of security of having nannies there to help you out if you F up.

Have fun!

didn't think of that! i did DSC off for the first time yesterday, it definitely doesn't have that throttle feel of Sport or sport +. feels much more like comfort mode in terms of throttle and delivery. ill have to give your suggestion a try though
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2017, 03:34 AM   #24
msej449
msej449
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i Convertible +LSD 2016

Garage List
I'd recommend a track training day. I did this when I bought a Lotus Elise at the Lotus factory track in the UK. I must have come off the track at least 4-5 times and collided with any number of traffic cones. But that was the idea. You have to do the track training in order to 'program' yourself to respond automatically and it's not something you'd want to do on public roads. I also did a track day with some customers including a skidpan in a 320i Coupé. All of this helped subsequently on public roads, and not just in the Elise. I reckon I avoided at least two very serious - potentially fatal - accidents thanks to the training, so it was well worth it to my mind. THis has prompted me to register for a £100 refresher training session at my local track (Goodwood, where the Rolls-Royce factory is) where they use M235i Coupés as the standard car (with everything turned off as much as possible) - this one focused mainly on wet-weather handling.
      08-11-2017, 09:51 AM   #25
gp_solo2
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9GunSlinger View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Used both DSC off and Sport+ at the track and I gotta say the car is WAYY more composed with DSC off. Just allows the car to feel neutral, allowing you to feel everything that's happening. I find Sport+ aids with turn in a but more than warranted, which disrupts the chassis a lot and the throttle is super snappy, which can be good or bad, but probably bad in your case.

Best bet if you're worried about having no aids would be to: Use Sport mode, and through idrive, configure your sport settings to Chassis:ON Drivetrain:OFF to get close-to "DSC off" feel, but still having sense of security of having nannies there to help you out if you F up.

Have fun!

didn't think of that! i did DSC off for the first time yesterday, it definitely doesn't have that throttle feel of Sport or sport +. feels much more like comfort mode in terms of throttle and delivery. ill have to give your suggestion a try though

The throttle feel is just something you need to get use to in DSC Off. It initially feel "slower" than sport or sport+ because those are none linear so you need less pedal travel to give the same throttle input.

When you switch to DSC Off or Normal mode the throttle become linear so you need more pedal travel to give same amount of throttle and your brain needs to get use to this...initial impression is that you get less power which is not true. You just need to push the throttle further.

If you run a few days in DSC Off and then switch to sport or sport+ you will "think" the car is faster because for same pedal travel the computer is giving more throttle. It also gives you less throttle play and less latitude for throttle adjustments during performance or track driving which is a downside to those modes.

Also throttle is only one difference between those modes. DSC Off also remove the stability controls, firms up the suspension and change the steering feels to a firmer more linear feel which is more suitable for the track or performance driving. They key is just to take time to experience with esch of the mode and try to feel the differences in the car behavior.
Appreciate 0