THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Things I HATE about my 2 series

03-31-2016, 06:05 PM   #177
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
My M235 is supposed to have come with this "Xenon Adaptive Headlights with dynamic auto-leveling, Corona headlight-rings, and LED accent lights"
I think mine have auto-leveling.
are you talking the function that raises the headlights based on your speed? I don't have that option personally. With that option I bet you could still raise the level of the headlights to where you want them, but then at high speed they would be higher than usual and probably blinding everyone.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 06:07 PM   #178
German1967
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi - 2022 992 C2S Cab

Same issue on headlights. Factory setting was bad, dealer did not fix. Went to an Indy an they got it right. Still I feel at times the Xenon are worse than on my E90.
      03-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #179
VolTekka
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Is this something easy to do for someone with no mechanical experience? Or do you recommend taking it to a shop/dealership?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2016, 07:01 PM   #180
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolTekka View Post
Is this something easy to do for someone with no mechanical experience? Or do you recommend taking it to a shop/dealership?
very easy to DIY. check out posts 24-27

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showt...1012006&page=2
Appreciate 1
      03-31-2016, 07:12 PM   #181
rwjr44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Poor night illumination. I think it is bad, especially for a fast and good handling car on very dark country roads. See the latest safety rating. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-2-door-coupe. I will take a trip to my dealer and see about alignment.

If they can not make it acceptable, BMW and perhaps the government will hear from me.
      03-31-2016, 07:56 PM   #182
omega145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235 Xdrive

All this talk about the headlights has me thinking...has anyone put fog lights or some type of driving lights in the front bumper to help with this? I came up with this image but i'm betting its probably from overseas: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1392737794
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 01:29 AM   #183
Nahlem
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: None atm

Hmm do you US guys really have that much of an issue with the headlights? My 2 series is probably one of the best car lights i have had for quite some time. The only thing that could match my 2 series was a friends car he had 3 of those extra lights in the front now that was like driving in daylight during the night.

But i do agree that Xenon's should be the new halogen in terms of being a standard illumination of the roads in front of you on all new manufactured cars. And Led+Lasers should be the optional.

Former Car:BMW i4 M50 Brooklyn Grey (MY22)| BMW i3s BEV (MY19)|Former Car: BMW X1 20d x-drive (MY16)|BMW m235i (MY14)|Former Car: BMW 120d (MY12)|Former Car: Volvo C30 T5 R-Design (MY08)|Former Car: Volvo C70 T5 (MY06)|Former Car: Volvo S40 2.0T(MY1999)
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #184
ABPReader
Deserter
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BM&W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_88M View Post
Hmm do you US guys really have that much of an issue with the headlights? My 2 series is probably one of the best car lights i have had for quite some time.
+1

My (swiss) M235 is better than many e9x, mazda, audi, vw, ... in the subject.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 02:18 AM   #185
Mywifes335
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 FBO M235i

I love my LED/Xenon lights. Not sure what happened at IIHS. I respect them too.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 02:29 AM   #186
Xenny
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mywifes335 View Post
2 series cars come from the factory with headlights aimed too low, or not aimed at all. IIHS recognizes this but tests them anyways since they state most people do not adjust their headlights after buying them, and some manufacturers suggest not adjusting them. test results end up being marginal.

thats my take at least.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 06:20 AM   #187
megacondenser
Largely Lurking
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 911 C4GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezilient View Post
Hello, since you've owned some great cars (997T, 991, R8) I'm curious what your #1 critique of the 235i is performance wise (so interior quality and M badging aside). Is it the suspension? Throttle response?

I'm coming from owning an E39 M5 for 2 years, and recently drove a 997C4 and Boxster S for 1 week each, and also feel like something is missing but I can't put my finger on exactly what it is.

Edit: Also I just noticed in your sig you have the 128i as your "favorite" - may I ask why? I test drove a 135i DCT and really enjoyed that car, possibly more than my M235i.
I am pretty sure it is mainly, to me anyway, that it just isn't that powerful an engine. It is torquey low-down, and makes lots of nice noises from the MPE (one of the things I do like) that give it a sensation of going fast, but its still just a 4.5 second car. By my comparators, I find it quite wheezy and anemic above 4500 rpm, maybe even a little lower. I also feel like BMW had a time honoured winning idea - big(ish) engine in a small car - but just didn't tune it. It rotates its mass nicely, but the feel, body roll etc aren't tuned to match. And it's a secret fatty. For a car that rides so harshly in "Sport" modes it just has so much roll through corners. It just gives me the overall impression that it wasn't quite...finished. But more power would certainly help most I think. You're probably just missing the grunt of the E39 in the base C4 and Boxster.

I read another comment on another forum (prob the M2 forum lol) which I think nailed it when he said "The 235i is a car that probably shouldn't exist." It's just not good enough in any area to be worthy of all the praise heaped on it by the aging nostalgic car journos longing for the return to the E46. I bought the hype and thought I could live with 300 hp. Like I've said: my fault for trusting reviews, and ignoring that little voice in the back of my mind.

Oh, and the 128i? Easy favorite: it's a fun to drive convertible. Top down sunny day, grinning kids in the back, pretty wife next to me? No contest.
2013 Polar White/Black C63 Perf Package

Last edited by megacondenser; 04-01-2016 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:20 AM   #188
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i 6-speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Willis View Post
Poor night illumination. I think it is bad, especially for a fast and good handling car on very dark country roads. See the latest safety rating. http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...s-2-door-coupe. I will take a trip to my dealer and see about alignment.

If they can not make it acceptable, BMW and perhaps the government will hear from me.
The iihs low rating is for the standard halogens, not the optional xenons.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #189
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not complicated. They tested different lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #190
raleedy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega145 View Post
All this talk about the headlights has me thinking...has anyone put fog lights or some type of driving lights in the front bumper to help with this? I came up with this image but i'm betting its probably from overseas: http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1392737794
Yes. Overseas.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #191
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
The worst IIHS score was for the 3er with halogens. But, they tested three 3er setups:
  • halogens without adaptive headlights and high beam assist scored "poor",
  • LED without adaptive headlights and high beam assist scored "poor",
  • LED with adaptive headlights and high beam assist scored "marginal".
Although something seems off between the measurements between the two LED equipped 3er because their measurements of the low beams and high beams on a straightaway are different for the two cars. Looks like the headlights on the car with LED but without adaptive headlights and high beam assist that scored "poor" were pointed lower.

They also tested four 2er setups:
  • halogens without adaptive headlights and high beam assist scored "poor",
  • halogens without adaptive headlights and with high beam assist scored "poor",
  • xenons with adaptive headlights and without high beam assist scored "poor",
  • xenons with adaptive headlights and high beam assist scored "marginal".
None of the BMWs tested were penalized for excessive glare either. So the bad scores across the board are just based on below acceptable illumination.
      04-01-2016, 02:00 PM   #192
multarnc
SMSgt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
As a tall guy I wish the seat belt mounting points on the B pillar moved up and down instead of being fixed.
I'm very short and this drives me a little crazy, because the belt goes more along my neck.
Miata1387.00
      04-01-2016, 02:50 PM   #193
alexc93
Colonel
Rep
Drives: na

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacondenser View Post
I am pretty sure it is mainly, to me anyway, that it just isn't that powerful an engine. It is torquey low-down, and makes lots of nice noises from the MPE (one of the things I do like) that give it a sensation of going fast, but its still just a 4.5 second car. By my comparators, I find it quite wheezy and anemic above 4500 rpm, maybe even a little lower. I also feel like BMW had a time honoured winning idea - big(ish) engine in a small car - but just didn't tune it. It rotates its mass nicely, but the feel, body roll etc aren't tuned to match. And it's a secret fatty. For a car that rides so harshly in "Sport" modes it just has so much roll through corners. It just gives me the overall impression that it wasn't quite...finished. But more power would certainly help most I think. You're probably just missing the grunt of the E39 in the base C4 and Boxster.

I read another comment on another forum (prob the M2 forum lol) which I think nailed it when he said "The 235i is a car that probably shouldn't exist." It's just not good enough in any area to be worthy of all the praise heaped on it by the aging nostalgic car journos longing for the return to the E46. I bought the hype and thought I could live with 300 hp. Like I've said: my fault for trusting reviews, and ignoring that little voice in the back of my mind.

Oh, and the 128i? Easy favorite: it's a fun to drive convertible. Top down sunny day, grinning kids in the back, pretty wife next to me? No contest.
Wow really not a fan of the 235i! Have you driven a RWD version or only X-drive? Just curious.

I love my 235i but do plan on moving away in future. I have a deposit on an M2 but drove an F80 at the weekend and that thing is in another level...
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #194
rwjr44
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by raleedy View Post
I have the standard lights. But I think the test is reasonable for this type of car. I debated the xenons but wonder if they would be much better for side projection.
      04-01-2016, 03:26 PM   #195
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Quote:
IIHS made a comment that it is possible that a lot of the headlights they tested were improperly aimed, but that they didn't aim them properly before the test because most people don't check the aim of their headlights. They wanted to test the headlights as normal drivers may use them. They suggested that some of the issues could be fixed by aiming the headlights properly.

Not sure what I think about this methodology. It does help expose a potential issue with new cars, but it also doesn't really test the capabilities of the headlights. I do think they should have at least tested to see whether the headlights were properly aimed and noted whether the headlights were or weren't properly aimed for the cars they tested. At least that way consumer could make a more informed decision, especially if the car they are considering has headlights that were properly aimed for the test and still scored poorly. Or, if basically all of the cars had improperly aimed headlights, then consumers would be advised on the potential risk of having improperly aimed headlights and they might do something about it.
      04-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #196
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacondenser View Post
Regretted this purchase almost immediately. Downgraded into it thinking I could live with a cheaper/more practical ride than what I had before, my kids are getting bigger etc etc. Believed the auto media hype and ignored my instincts on a few test drives, figuring I just needed some time to get used to it. Nope.

<Snip>
I'm genuinely sorry that you don't like your M235i, I love mine but we all look for different things in a car (for example, mine is unlikely ever to go on the track).

The constructive thing I can offer is the value of a decent test drive. It may not be possible in all countries but in the UK it's possible to get an extended test drive courtesy of BMW (via your dealer). I too was undecided on whether it was the right car for me (it's actually less practical for me, coming from a 4 door E90) but I had 48 hours with a test car to find out. I had chance to experience living with the car and explore all my doubts and questions; in your case it seems you didn't have enough driving time to do that. In its class, it's a great car but it's not for everyone.

Better luck next time.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 12:16 PM   #197
ThreeToTwo
Private
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 6MT M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
IIHS made a comment that it is possible that a lot of the headlights they tested were improperly aimed, but that they didn't aim them properly before the test because most people don't check the aim of their headlights. They wanted to test the headlights as normal drivers may use them. <Snip>
I would be surprised if BMW shipped a lot of cars with misaligned lights, maybe other manufacturers do? In Europe, it's also mandatory for xenons to be self-levelling (and xenons are standard on 235s in UK), you'd think that would help the averages too.

On the wider point, I came from an E90 with adaptive xenons to an M235i with nominally the same set-up. Illumination on both is great, I wouldn't like to pick a winner. The adaptive part is a generational difference, the 235 continuously shapes its main beams to avoid dazzle where the E90 just dipped.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #198
MichaelL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenny View Post
2 series cars come from the factory with headlights aimed too low, or not aimed at all. IIHS recognizes this but tests them anyways since they state most people do not adjust their headlights after buying them, and some manufacturers suggest not adjusting them. test results end up being marginal.

thats my take at least.
I agree. I have xenon headlights on my 228i and the light seems very bright, just aimed way too low. I didn't ask when it was recently in for service about having them adjusted because I forgot and figured they wouldn't do it anyway... I expected some legal BS, blinding other drivers, etc...
Appreciate 0