THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 235 Muffler Delete *Your Thoughts*

08-01-2014, 10:47 PM   #23
bubsterino
Banned
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska///235i
Wouldnt a 28 and 35 sound different?
good call. that said, have to imagine the 35 would be even louder...

I'm providing feedback in real time here. admittedly, after pulling over to grab some food and upload those videos, I was done with it.

after driving home, the sound was more subtle, less "farty" on taking my foot off the gas.

any thoughts on whether the pipes might take a little while to open up/breathe? what about my ECU learning the new feel back there?!

just trying to give honest feedback - I was kinda shocked on this last drive home how much "less harsh" the sound was. wonder if I'm just losing it... :-P
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 10:55 PM   #24
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

You should do a test... show the tips only don't tell people you deleted the muffler and ask for opinions.

It sounds pretty good to me although I do not know how loud it is in person.

What if I just removed the resonator instead of the muffler?

m

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
second video - cold start. different distance from phone.

Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #25
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ
You should do a test... show the tips only don't tell people you deleted the muffler and ask for opinions.

It sounds pretty good to me although I do not know how loud it is in person.

What if I just removed the resonator instead of the muffler?

m

Quote:
second video - cold start. different distance from phone.

that's a great idea. definitely going to seek feedback this weekend.

honestly - not sure at all about any of this stuff. from what I read, people seemed less positive on removing the resonator vs the muffler.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:20 PM   #26
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

and to your point about it not sounding that loud on the video, I totally agree. I think that's why people recommend actually hearing one in person. have not really seen a video do the volume justice.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #27
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
and to your point about it not sounding that loud on the video, I totally agree. I think that's why people recommend actually hearing one in person. have not really seen a video do the volume justice.
call me crazy but i like it

the new pipes have to get broken in and they won't be as loud as the first few days. Give it two weeks before you pull the chord and see how you like it then

I had this done on my 1er and it was the best money i ever spent. Everyone who heard my car, thought it was one of the best sounding exhausts on a BMW but that was the N54; I'm hoping the N55 sounds similar
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:12 AM   #28
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929
Quote:

the new pipes have to get broken in and they won't be as loud as the first few days. Give it two weeks before you pull the chord and see how you like it then

I had this done on my 1er and it was the best money i ever spent. Everyone who heard my car, thought it was one of the best sounding exhausts on a BMW but that was the N54; I'm hoping the N55 sounds similar
fair enough - I was hoping to get some confirmation that the pipes need to be broken in a bit. I think two weeks is fair.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:43 AM   #29
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Does ripping out the resonator do anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by escobar929 View Post

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:03 AM   #30
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
Does ripping out the resonator do anything?
yes, it will def make things louder

if you plan on doing a muffler delete, I would wait on removing the resonator and see how you like the sound, then if its not loud enough for you, then remove it

You can just remove the resonator and keep the OEM rear section but that involves cutting the OEM mid pipe and I personally wouldn't do that unless I had to.

What I did on my 1er, was I found a used N55 Mid pipe and cut the resonator out of that, so I was able to keep my OEM N54 Mid pipe intact. I will be looking to do this in the future but I plan on starting w/ just removing the OEM rear section and doing a muffler delete and see how that goes
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #31
dt20011
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

For the price point which is barley a few hundred bucks its 100% worth it. Its reversible if you don't like it. If you DD the car its gonna take getting used to.
Here's video of my car when I had it done. The car has an intake and JB4 now but I'm waiting for my DP too come in and get installed before I post anymore sound clips. In person everyone loves it. In my humble opinion, we have a pretty serious car in terms of performance, it doesn't sound like it in stock form. The MPE isn't worth it or your gonna shell out $$$ to a tuner. I watched a video posted on here by a tuner for a new exhaust for the F22....sat there thinking to myself, thats awesome it sounds just like mine. Just saying. **My resonator is still intact** A few people asked what exhaust I was running at Button Willow yesterday**

Last edited by dt20011; 08-02-2014 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 01:49 PM   #32
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

I'm getting the stock muffler put back on today. can't deal. IMO, both volume and sound produced are issues. it does not sound like a BMW. my friends said it sounded like a ricer and I agree.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #33
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dt20011 View Post
For the price point which is barley a few hundred bucks its 100% worth it. Its reversible if you don't like it. If you DD the car its gonna take getting used to.
Here's video of my car when I had it done. The car has an intake and JB4 now but I'm waiting for my DP too come in and get installed before I post anymore sound clips. In person everyone loves it. In my humble opinion, we have a pretty serious car in terms of performance, it doesn't sound like it in stock form. The MPE isn't worth it or your gonna shell out $$$ to a tuner. I watched a video posted on here by a tuner for a new exhaust for the F22....sat there thinking to myself, thats awesome it sounds just like mine. Just saying. **My resonator is still intact** A few people asked what exhaust I was running at Button Willow yesterday**

love it sounds very similar to how my N54 sounded w/ a muffler delete
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #34
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
I'm getting the stock muffler put back on today. can't deal. IMO, both volume and sound produced are issues. it does not sound like a BMW. my friends said it sounded like a ricer and I agree.
Most who hack off a muffler will usually come to this realization sooner rather than later. However, your friend's opinions on your car sounding ricery shouldn't have mattered. After all...you "don't give a flying f what anyone thinks."

Those who didn't take my post too sensitively can see what I actually meant. Cutting a muffler off and welding in straight pipes (usually with crush-bent aluminized piping) is ghetto-rigging at its best. Meistershaft does sell an exhaust system sans mufflers which is at least a full cat-back made of beautifully welded, high quality, larger diameter, mandrel-bent stainless.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 07:59 PM   #35
ciwhamc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i Alpine White

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
So on the m235i muffler delete does it drone on the freeway or is it too loud around town?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 09:33 PM   #36
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

again this thread didn't start because i wanted to hack off my muffler. additionally the person who was cool enough to come forward and show us his did not come up with the idea (another shop recommended it). He's not putting it back on because people told him too it seems he doesn't want the extra attention.

You have your opinion that is ghetto and others like it. I don't agree with it being "ghetto" and I doubt the reputable shops recommending it feel that way either. My buddy has a race car and it has open headers... is that ghetto?

Me personally I wont be doing it... I drive my car too often and I'm looking for a balance so I can hear the turbo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
Most who hack off a muffler will usually come to this realization sooner rather than later. However, your friend's opinions on your car sounding ricery shouldn't have mattered. After all...you "don't give a flying f what anyone thinks."

Those who didn't take my post too sensitively can see what I actually meant. Cutting a muffler off and welding in straight pipes (usually with crush-bent aluminized piping) is ghetto-rigging at its best. Meistershaft does sell an exhaust system sans mufflers which is at least a full cat-back made of beautifully welded, high quality, larger diameter, mandrel-bent stainless.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #37
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
again this thread didn't start because i wanted to hack off my muffler. additionally the person who was cool enough to come forward and show us his did not come up with the idea (another shop recommended it). He's not putting it back on because people told him too it seems he doesn't want the extra attention.

You have your opinion that is ghetto and others like it. I don't agree with it being "ghetto" and I doubt the reputable shops recommending it feel that way either. My buddy has a race car and it has open headers... is that ghetto?

Me personally I wont be doing it... I drive my car too often and I'm looking for a balance so I can hear the turbo too.
it also depends on who is doing the work, you can easily have some random muffler shop do the work and it will be ghetto but if you go to a quality place, you can have something very similar to how aftermarket ones are
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 03:58 PM   #38
zkeeper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 08 Z4 si

Jumping in here! My delete was done quite professionally, nice flanges for re-attaching muffler if I wish later--or a buyer might. No weld ups, but pro flanging. M tips used just fine.

3" straight pipes take a nice corner-bend to "reprod" the inside of the PE without the casing & packing, and it sounds marvelous.

It doesn't drone, and on highway or around town, is not offensive by those who have heard it. Not at all ricer by official Bimmerhead opinion here anyway.But all this is sooo subjective.

Personally, I like the deep tone---and can modulate tone down anytime I wish. It's a DD as well--but now it sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 04:28 PM   #39
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post
Jumping in here! My delete was done quite professionally, nice flanges for re-attaching muffler if I wish later--or a buyer might. No weld ups, but pro flanging. M tips used just fine.

3" straight pipes take a nice corner-bend to "reprod" the inside of the PE without the casing & packing, and it sounds marvelous.

It doesn't drone, and on highway or around town, is not offensive by those who have heard it. Not at all ricer by official Bimmerhead opinion here anyway.But all this is sooo subjective.

Personally, I like the deep tone---and can modulate tone down anytime I wish. It's a DD as well--but now it sounds great.
Exactly!

Pics and vids please
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #40
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Thanks! Video and or pic would be greatly appreciated!

m

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper View Post

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 10:14 PM   #41
bubsterino
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zkeeper

that's awesome! glad yours worked out.

thus the expression, your mileage may vary!

wanted mine to work for me so bad...guy who put the muffler back on said my guy did "beautiful" work - but alas, wasn't for me. might have something to do with my 228 engine vs the 235. the guy said the smaller engines tend to not sound as good with the delete.

happy and safe driving!
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:24 AM   #42
buumer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: EB M235i

Does anyone know what the sound/performance difference is between the muffler delete on a stock exhaust and buying a muffler-less exhaust from someone like Meisterschaft?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 07:40 AM   #43
escobar929
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2020 M2 CS  [10.00]
2020 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
Does anyone know what the sound/performance difference is between the muffler delete on a stock exhaust and buying a muffler-less exhaust from someone like Meisterschaft?
the sound your significant other makes when she hears how much you spent on something any good muffler shop can make for a fraction of the cost
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 09:47 AM   #44
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by buumer View Post
Appreciate 0