THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan M235i Tune

08-20-2014, 11:10 AM   #573
s2ktan
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235 - Delivery - 9/2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewohar View Post
This happened to me twice with Dinan Stage II for my 335 coupe. My car sat at the dealers once for three weeks while they argued about whether this was a BMW problem or a Dinan problem. Turned out that when they replaced my electronic fuel injector the first two times they simply put in the older known defective model since their policy was to clear out the old parts inventory. Not all of the injectors went bad, so why not try? Last swap I got the new fuel injector and never had another problem.
Whoa! That is actually VERY disappointing. I could see something like this from Kia, Hyundai or even some US manufacturers, but for that to be a policy of BMW screams cheap and dishonest. I have owned Audi's, Range Rover's, Lexus, Toyota's, Honda's, Mazda's, a Jeep and 1 Ford product and I have never seen anything like that (besides one douche'y Honda dealer that was acting on his own and not in-line with Honda Corp). My M235 is set to arrive in 2 weeks and I just spent yesterday at the BMW UDE event in SF. I have been very impressed with the professionalism of all parties involved thus far, but this concerns me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 12:06 PM   #574
ewohar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I Dinan Stage II

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2ktan
Quote:
This happened to me twice with Dinan Stage II for my 335 coupe. My car sat at the dealers once for three weeks while they argued about whether this was a BMW problem or a Dinan problem. Turned out that when they replaced my electronic fuel injector the first two times they simply put in the older known defective model since their policy was to clear out the old parts inventory. Not all of the injectors went bad, so why not try? Last swap I got the new fuel injector and never had another problem.
Whoa! That is actually VERY disappointing. I could see something like this from Kia, Hyundai or even some US manufacturers, but for that to be a policy of BMW screams cheap and dishonest. I have owned Audi's, Range Rover's, Lexus, Toyota's, Honda's, Mazda's, a Jeep and 1 Ford product and I have never seen anything like that (besides one douche'y Honda dealer that was acting on his own and not in-line with Honda Corp). My M235 is set to arrive in 2 weeks and I just spent yesterday at the BMW UDE event in SF. I have been very impressed with the professionalism of all parties involved thus far, but this concerns me.
It wasn't there best moment. A well known problem.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #575
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
It wasn't there best moment. A well known problem.
Luckily the N54 issues were sorted out. I have a 335is with one of the last generation N54s and it has been bullet proof. Really a great engine that caught a lock of flack over aux systems that were not properly designed or manufactured. The N55 seems to fare much better at least.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 01:26 PM   #576
M235eye
Enthusiast/Former CA
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Hope phone support can get him sorted out.
Burger Tuning does not have "phone" support:

http://burgertuning.com/contact.html

A bit strange if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 02:43 PM   #577
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

it looks like he got the car to start and now no boost...JB4 looks to be aimed at the highly technical consumer. I'm pretty technical and there is zero chance I will be splicing wires on my brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #578
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK235iNJ View Post
it looks like he got the car to start and now no boost...JB4 looks to be aimed at the highly technical consumer. I'm pretty technical and there is zero chance I will be splicing wires on my brand new car.
I think the splicing is done to the JB4 wiring, not the car wiring. Who knows how his unit was installed. I can build a computer with off the shelf parts, but if I forget to attach my CPU fan to the motherboard and the computer shuts down to prevent permanent damage, I'm not going to hate on Intel.

His install was working just fine until he made changes to it. Maybe he will chime back in to say what was wrong. Until then...
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:34 PM   #579
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
I completely Agree here.... and i find there communication very lack luster in other words it sucks !! Only way to get there attention is on a public forum which is very very poor form for a company. This is one of the reasons i dropped it ! I also find the instructions install guides cryptic ! You have a company that uses its paying customers to beta test there products ..... the reason is they race to the market with a product that is barely tested to get everyones cash...... another reason its probably so cheap..... it can be !! This is just my experience on the after sales support.
I forwarded one of your posts to BMS just to get some background info. The reply I got back was very interesting and helps me understand why your experience does not jive with the hundreds of other BMS customers I've worked with. Basically, the guys at BMS all know who you are lol. They said in a three month period they received something like 250 emails from you asking various repetitive tuning questions. Many involving analyzing logs and asking for advanced tuning advice that is beyond the scope of what their email technical support offers.

Their email tech support is very efficient but when abused they do have to weed people out. Sounds like that is what happened to you. You were blocked from email and pointed to the support forum where another employee Russell could help you out with the numerous requests for log reviews and so forth.

PS. Certain elements of the tune are BETA and certain elements are production. Making early testing of BETA aspects of the tuning like E85 support and electronic wastegate control available to WILLING customers has always been a strength of BMS products. It sounds to me like you got obsessed with BETA testing and helping with development when you really wanted a product that had no BETA elements and no logging ability. Something like their Stage1 tune where you just install & enjoy with no possibility to custom tune, run E85, have EWG control, etc.

Mike

Last edited by Mike@N54Tuning.com; 08-20-2014 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 03:47 PM   #580
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 04:17 PM   #581
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #582
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddy74 View Post
There is always two sides of the story but thats fine Mike !! We all know which team you bat for..... sounds like your pretty friendly with the BMS boys hey !! Thanks for validating my emails thats nice and yes i sent emails as i never got a response ... as a paying customer I found the service and performance of the JB4 well under my expectations not to mention the cheap build quality of the product.... there is clearly better products on the market now.
My post was not meant to offend you. Just explaining why you had the experience you had with email support.

On the JB4 there may be an equal but I've not seen it yet. No other tune I know of offers on the fly map switching, E85 support, EWG support for higher boost levels, datalogging, updatable firmware, and the list goes on.

The updatable firmware alone is huge. Say a bunch of members install Dinan and show that it's running more boost at a lower RPM / pedal position and the feedback on that style of tuning is positive. BMS can just make a firmware change and post it to let their customers test out the same style. On the other hand, say BMS perfects E85 tuning for EWG platforms, can Dinan or the other tuners release a map to match? I don't think so. I think with those systems you're basically stuck with what you get when you bought it.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #583
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Ive had 0 problem contacting BMS. also your not splicing your stock harness. please do you research!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #584
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Most of the tuning work just goes through the CANbus which is 2 wires. Looks like Dinan has around 12-14 wires routed back to their control box. Same as the F30 JB4. Then you have power and ground also connected similarly with Dinan. BMS choose to connect to the sensors directly as they felt it was a more practical and easier to install implementation for the N55. The ECU itself is very difficult to reach and work with. You'll see when you go to install it.

Mike
17 wires, I counted them tonight ECU on the N55 is not difficult at all. Using factory connectors makes the job a piece of cake and I would say far easier than some of the JB4 full installation stories I have read on the forum alone.

Last edited by Delnari; 08-21-2014 at 04:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #585
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

I wouldn't want to be splicing anything... research or not but thats just me.

take a chill pill no need to !!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
Ive had 0 problem contacting BMS. also your not splicing your stock harness. please do you research!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #586
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

On the JB4 there may be an equal but I've not seen it yet. No other tune I know of offers on the fly map switching, E85 support, EWG support for higher boost levels, datalogging, updatable firmware, and the list goes on.

The updatable firmware alone is huge. Say a bunch of members install Dinan and show that it's running more boost at a lower RPM / pedal position and the feedback on that style of tuning is positive. BMS can just make a firmware change and post it to let their customers test out the same style. On the other hand, say BMS perfects E85 tuning for EWG platforms, can Dinan or the other tuners release a map to match? I don't think so. I think with those systems you're basically stuck with what you get when you bought it.

Mike
Well said.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #587
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Looks like he figured it out with the help of BMS>

The support team over there is great and very responsive. Seems to be an issue with the harness itself. Jb4 is fine. Tried it on another car with another harness. So I'll be sending it over to burger to have it check d out.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:39 PM   #588
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep

I too was skeptical of BMS mods at first. Search my posts...I'm not a fanboy of anything, and I was weary about what seemed like a really high number of reported issues. Turned out that was purely on the surface. Nearly all issues are a result of installation error or a problem with the car, completely unrelated to the JB4 itself or its function.

It's been over two weeks and I couldn't be happier with the JB4. Stock-like drivability and not a single hiccup...just a significant difference in power. A lot of issues are also reported by people pushing the envelope with E85 mixtures, 16+ PSI, and/or custom tuning putting a toll on the factory fuel pump(s) and entire fuel system. That's not even an option with any other platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 09:43 PM   #589
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

That's awesome. I get my Dinan tuned installed next week. Hopefully I'm happy with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
I too was skeptical of BMS mods at first. Search my posts...I'm not a fanboy of anything, and I was weary about what seemed like a really high number of reported issues. Turned out that was purely on the surface. Nearly all issues are a result of installation error or a problem with the car, completely unrelated to the JB4 itself or its function.

It's been over two weeks and I couldn't be happier with the JB4. Stock-like drivability and not a single hiccup...just a significant difference in power. A lot of issues are also reported by people pushing the envelope with E85 mixtures, 16+ PSI, and/or custom tuning putting a toll on the factory fuel pump(s) and entire fuel system. That's not even an option with any other platform.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:19 PM   #590
hyperzulu
Colonel
United_States
Rep

JB4ers and Dinaners can live together in harmony.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:32 PM   #591
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #592
HelzRage
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Reliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
Blasphemy! Into the pit with him! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 06:54 AM   #593
alz0rz
What goes here?
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 M550i

Garage List
313whp with the Dinan Stage I.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2014, 08:25 AM   #594
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

For what it's worth for those considering JB4, everyone I have spoken to including Dinan shops has said the same thing. The only issue they've ever seen has been install error, the solution itself seems pretty rock solid. That's coming from probably half a dozen guys who live a breathe this stuff every day.
Appreciate 0