THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum f22 228i Help With Mods

06-26-2023, 09:23 AM   #1
tee228
Rep
Drives: f22 228i

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
f22 228i Help With Mods

Hi All! I just picked up a 2016 228i and I am relatively new to owning/modding cars (all of my previous cars were leased and not a BMW). I have a decent knowledge of cars and modifications but need some help with some cosmetic/sound/performance upgrades. A few key points I want to hammer down:

1. I know the n20 is not the best engine to mod but I would like to improve the sound both in the cabin and out. Been reading around and it seems CAI and ram do not provide much improvement but want your opinion on it regardless. saw some recs on a drop in filter as an option but don't know how much of a difference it would make on performance/ sound. Thought about bm3 or dinan tune but not too certain on that yet. Also, any advice on a new exhaust if it is even worth it?

2. I have a decent budget (nothing too crazy) and I am perfectly fine with not "maximizing" performance increase per dollar. I have a vice for improving sound and ride quality over performance, I'm sorry.

3. When I bought the car, it came with aftermarket 19" wheels and some general gmax rs tires. there is a strong vibration in the steering wheel and cabin north of 80mph. Any recs on this as well? Should I replace this set?

4. Any additional info/recs would be greatly appreciated!

Glad to have finally joined this Forum!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 09:43 AM   #2
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tee228 View Post
Hi All! I just picked up a 2016 228i and I am relatively new to owning/modding cars (all of my previous cars were leased and not a BMW). I have a decent knowledge of cars and modifications but need some help with some cosmetic/sound/performance upgrades. A few key points I want to hammer down:

1. I know the n20 is not the best engine to mod but I would like to improve the sound both in the cabin and out. Been reading around and it seems CAI and ram do not provide much improvement but want your opinion on it regardless. saw some recs on a drop in filter as an option but don't know how much of a difference it would make on performance/ sound. Thought about bm3 or dinan tune but not too certain on that yet. Also, any advice on a new exhaust if it is even worth it?

2. I have a decent budget (nothing too crazy) and I am perfectly fine with not "maximizing" performance increase per dollar. I have a vice for improving sound and ride quality over performance, I'm sorry.

3. When I bought the car, it came with aftermarket 19" wheels and some general gmax rs tires. there is a strong vibration in the steering wheel and cabin north of 80mph. Any recs on this as well? Should I replace this set?

4. Any additional info/recs would be greatly appreciated!

Glad to have finally joined this Forum!
Welcome. I can't help much about sound, as we have different goals. However, for ride quality, I'd ditch those 19s and revert to 17s. When I changed from the original 18s to 17s to cope with the moonscape roads in Michigan, the ride quality improvement was significant. It would be even more of a difference coming from 19s. There are some great looking 17s available...check Tire Rack, where I chose BBS wheels. I was still interested in performance, so I chose Michelin PS4S tires, but if you are truly focused more on ride quality than handling, pick a top rated Grand Touring tire. If you decide to keep what you have, the vibration certainly warrants a new balancing from a shop with a Hunter Road Force balancer.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 06-26-2023 at 10:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:05 PM   #3
tee228
Rep
Drives: f22 228i

Garage List
2016 F22 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Welcome. I can't help much about sound, as we have different goals. However, for ride quality, I'd ditch those 19s and revert to 17s. When I changed from the original 18s to 17s to cope with the moonscape roads in Michigan, the ride quality improvement was significant. It would be even more of a difference coming from 19s. There are some great looking 17s available...check Tire Rack, where I chose BBS wheels. I was still interested in performance, so I chose Michelin PS4S tires, but if you are truly focused more on ride quality than handling, pick a top rated Grand Touring tire. If you decide to keep what you have, the vibration certainly warrants a new balancing from a shop with a Hunter Road Force balancer.
Thank you for that! Definitely going to check out some 17s. Was thinking BBS as well but might be a bit pricey at the moment If Im switching tires as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2023, 12:33 PM   #4
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Thank you for that! Definitely going to check out some 17s. Was thinking BBS as well but might be a bit pricey at the moment If Im switching tires as well.
A lot of personal choice involved, but just to give you an idea at a more moderate price point. I used a NYC zip code and picked an all-weather Grand Touring tire assuming you're not upstate where snow can get very heavy. They also offer mobile installation in many areas. Good luck!
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2023, 10:06 AM   #5
x573V3N
Rep
Drives: 228i N26

Quote:

I would go with BMW Style 380 wheels, I personally like the way they look and there's a set on eBay going for a great price - I would have put them on mine if I did not have someone locally selling a set of Style 197 that I liked just as much
Appreciate 0