THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Anti-Sway Bars

12-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #1
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Anti-Sway Bars

Yes....Anti-Sway Bars, not Sway Bars!!

Does anyone have experience/selection info between Hotchkis and Dinan for a set of front and rear anti-sway bars? Dinan is a bit more expensive, but even with searching our forum, I don't see anything on this topic. Anyone? Thanks!

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...-sway-bar-set/

https://www.hotchkis.net/product/201...=&sm=#overview

Turner's own Motorsport set is out as incompatible with 4 cylinder.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

I'd search the internet for reviews of both.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 09:10 AM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Not many people swap them due to the work involved on this chassis (it's pretty ridiculous if you look at the DIY). And the fact they should be selected based on your shock/spring set up.

I'm not a pro at making those choices but learned from previous mistakes on other cars. I did learn that it should be one of the last tweaks to your suspension you make, not the first.

Hotchkis is also one of the heaviest brands out there, look at the diameter dimensions to give you an idea but you actually need to compare each bar's rigidity.
Appreciate 2
Sportstick4654.00
dradernh4411.50
      12-28-2021, 09:55 AM   #4
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Not many people swap them due to the work involved on this chassis (it's pretty ridiculous if you look at the DIY). And the fact they should be selected based on your shock/spring set up.

I'm not a pro at making those choices but learned from previous mistakes on other cars. I did learn that it should be one of the last tweaks to your suspension you make, not the first.

Hotchkis is also one of the heaviest brands out there, look at the diameter dimensions to give you an idea but you actually need to compare each bar's rigidity.
This is excellent advice.

I had TC Kline install his coilover suspension on my car. Later, I wanted improved turn-in response on the track and asked him for advice. He suggested the H&R front bar. I bought it and had it installed at my independent shop.

The $839-installed cost broke down as follows: bar ($399), installation ($385), and tax ($55). The bar made a slight difference on the track, and after it first went on I could feel the difference on back roads. It was expensive for the improvement in performance.

My thinking is that a stock suspension upgrade is best initiated with coilovers and camber plates.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
This is excellent advice.

I had TC Kline install his coilover suspension on my car. Later, I wanted improved turn-in response on the track and asked him for advice. He suggested the H&R front bar. I bought it and had it installed at my independent shop.

The $839-installed cost broke down as follows: bar ($399), installation ($385), and tax ($55). The bar made a slight difference on the track, and after it first went on I could feel the difference on back roads. It was expensive for the improvement in performance.

My thinking is that a stock suspension upgrade is best initiated with coilovers and camber plates.
Yours is as well, thanks!

I have the camber adjustment from the M2 LCAs already installed which helped quite a bit with steering feel and response. I was considering the front and rear antisway bars to attempt to maintain neutrality.

My car is not tracked. This is just for reducing roll for "enthusiastic" daily driver...entrance ramps, etc. I am pleased with the MAdaptive suspension on the car that was part of the mis-named Track Handling Package. I already have the Dinan Shockware software mod for the THP. I don't want to affect the ride quality more than absolutely necessary, and I know the stiffer bars will slam the wheel back down with more force but we have such beautifully smooth roads out here that I am not too concerned about the antisway bar effect. I wouldn't even consider this back in Michigan.

If keeping the current MAdaptive hardware, with LCAs and Shockware already done, do we lean even further toward Dinan?

I had not thought about the weight of the bars, so I do appreciate that from freakystyly.

Glad to have these thoughts/ideas/suggestions! Thanks!
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:27 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
If keeping the current MAdaptive hardware, with LCAs and Shockware already done, do we lean even further toward Dinan?
No idea. I've always relied upon capable shops to help me with this stuff.

I don't think it would hurt to call Dinan for some input. If you do, ask them what assumptions are baked-into their bars. For example, will the design accommodate your OEM springs / Shockware combo? My guess is that it will.

I took a quick peek at the increase in stiffness that the Dinan front bar offers with its three stiffness adjustments ("45% to 76% stiffer than the stock front sway bar"). They look more street-friendly than the percentage stiffness increase Hotchkis offers with its adjustments ("100%/115%/140% stiffer than stock").

BTW, Hotchkis' bar set seems to be 6-cylinder specific (https://www.hotchkis.net/product/201...md=23967&sm=20): "Applications: 2012+ BMW 3-Series F30 2014+ 2-Series F22 and 4-Series F32 Six Cylinder Cars". A search for the 228i returns no result.

Dinan's set appears to be for both the 4-cyl and 6-cyl cars (https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D120-0585): "DINAN ANTI-ROLL BAR SET - 2012-2021 BMW 228I/230I/M235I/M240I".
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4654.00
      12-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #7
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
No idea. I've always relied upon capable shops to help me with this stuff.

I don't think it would hurt to call Dinan for some input. If you do, ask them what assumptions are baked-into their bars. For example, will the design accommodate your OEM springs / Shockware combo? My guess is that it will.

I took a quick peek at the increase in stiffness that the Dinan front bar offers with its three stiffness adjustments ("45% to 76% stiffer than the stock front sway bar"). They look more street-friendly than the percentage stiffness increase Hotchkis offers with its adjustments ("100%/115%/140% stiffer than stock").

BTW, Hotchkis' bar set seems to be 6-cylinder specific (https://www.hotchkis.net/product/201...md=23967&sm=20): "Applications: 2012+ BMW 3-Series F30 2014+ 2-Series F22 and 4-Series F32 Six Cylinder Cars". A search for the 228i returns no result.

Dinan's set appears to be for both the 4-cyl and 6-cyl cars (https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D120-0585): "DINAN ANTI-ROLL BAR SET - 2012-2021 BMW 228I/230I/M235I/M240I".
Thanks again...really appreciate your perspective.

EDIT/UPDATE: Spoke to Dinan....MAdaptive suspension, M2 LCAs, and Shockware are all compatible with the anti-sway bars. They suggest at least the middle setting for street usage, as the first setting might not be that noticeable, unless privileged enough to spend much time on winding roads at speed. They assume 7.1 hour install for front and rear. We'll see what my local friendly BMW dealer wants for the labor...also have a good indy nearby.

Last edited by Sportstick; 12-28-2021 at 05:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2023, 06:48 PM   #8
GoldenWest
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F22 230i, ‘17 X1

I installed Turner solid aluminum rear subframe bushings and the Dinan 19mm rear anti roll bar at the same time. There as an immediate difference noticed with bushings and Dian bar set to softest setting. After a few days I increased bar to medium, then to the stiffest bar setting. That’s where it’s been ever since. Bushings produced no noticeable increase in Noise, vibration, and harshness (NVH) over stock. And combined with the 19mm bar, the combo produced far cornering, plus better (quicker & more direct) turn in; also directional stability and easier control, especially at higher speeds. No downside in any way.
Appreciate 0